Power outages damaged my PC? How to test?

loosley

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
We had a series of power outages on the weekend: the power went on and off about 5 or 6 times in the course of a couple of hours. I just put together my new PC, and I was formatting a hard drive at the time. The PC was plugged into an APC surge protector. I think the PC turned back on by itself each time the power came back on, but as I was not around at the time I can't be 100% sure.

Do you think the power outages damaged my PC hardware? I'm not so concerned about losing data, since I am planning on reinstalling Windows and re-formatting the hard drives anyway.

I was planning on running the following tests on the PC to check my hardware:
- MemTest86+ to check the RAM
- HDTune error scan and full hard drive format on all the hard disks; also check the SMART stats
- IntelBurnTest and Prime95 to check the overall system stability (PC is not overclocked, but I want to make sure the outages didn't damage anything)

Would you say this is sufficient to verify that the system was not damaged? I'm planning on using this PC to store family photos/videos so I want to make sure it is really stable.

Thanks!

BTW my PC is: Corsair HX750, Intel Core i5 2500K (not overclocked), Asus P8Z68-V Pro, 2 x WD 2TB Green, 1 x WD 1 TB Black, eVGA Geforce GTX460 768 MB, 4 GB RAM

The PSU is usually the first item to go; however, you are using t really good PSU with good build in protection and a surge protector which should have been a great protection for your hardware.

the only concern I have are the hard drives since you said you where formatting them at the time of the power outages. make sure you do a full scan using the WD disk utility

The PC will not power itself back on when the power comes back. You need manually press the power button for the PC to turn on.

In general I would say your PC should be fine. If there was an electrical surge your APC surge protector would have tripped and you would need to manually reset it.

As for the hard drive I won't be concerned. Do a full format on the hard drive, then use the WD disk utility to run a full scan as stated above.