aakashchawla118

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
hello....

hi friends, i have purchased a new zotac nvidia 9500 GT 1GB DDR2 graphics card for my computer just last week.
now the thing is whenever i plug in card with my computer it completely drains out the system speed and makes
my computer super slow. i have a fine configuration of my computer that is ( processor: core 2 Duo E7200 2.53 GHZ,
Ram: 4 GB, Board: Intel DQ35JO desktop series, SMPS: Iball 400 VA PWS, O.S : windows 7 ultimate 32 bit.....

now, with this configuration i have tried installing the drivers of the graphics card into the computer ......
but it was of no use .... my computer was still working super slow .... so i tried installing the latest driver of the
graphics card from the vendors website and again plug in the card to see if that worked ..... but still it's no good....

so Finally i have came to know by some one that it can be a issue with the power supply as on the BOX of the
graphics card it says that it requires (MINIMUM 350W OR GRATER POWER SUPPLY (WITH A MINIMUM 12V CURRENT
RATING OF 18A)....
Now i am confused that do i have to buy a new greater watts of power supply for my computer or what ?
is it normal that we need to upgrade the power supply of the computer when we change the graphics card ?

****** I HAVE CHECKED ON NET THAT COOLER MASTER IS A GOOD POWER SUPPLY MAKER COMPANY ... SO IF I PLAN TO
BUY A SMPS THROUGH THEM THEN OF WHAT SPECIFICATIONS IT SHOULD BE OF ? *******

PLEASE FRIENDS YOUR SUGGESTIONS ARE MOST WELCOME IN THIS CASE ?

AAKASH

Solution
Looks like 9500GT can draw up to 50 watts, more than I though it would. Probably because it's an older tech card, even though it's much slower than newer cards that use 1/2 the power.

You may need to upgrade your power supply http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=58&name=Power-Supplies&Order=RATING, any brand from the list is OK, if it has 5-4 stars from Newegg, will be OK to use.
9500gt does not use a lot of power, you should not need to buy a new power supply. There seems to be a bug in nVidia drivers, I have seen the system slow down a lot with them installed.

As a test, uninstall your anti-virus software and see if it's slow after that? I was able to fix things a bit in using a different anti-virus package and also by setting all nvidia drivers to the exclusion list for scans.

It looks to me like its a power supply issue.The 9500 GT might be hogging all the power forcing your CPU to downclock as to not short out or cause damage,or it could be the other way around.

Try doing what hang-the-9 suggested first and if the problem still persists then i suggest you get a new Power Supply.

What is your current Power Supply?(Make/model)

Looks like 9500GT can draw up to 50 watts, more than I though it would. Probably because it's an older tech card, even though it's much slower than newer cards that use 1/2 the power.

You may need to upgrade your power supply http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=58&name=Power-Supplies&Order=RATING, any brand from the list is OK, if it has 5-4 stars from Newegg, will be OK to use.

Solution

aakashchawla118

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
hi there,

Well thank you very much for taking interest in this issue but i think that the steps which has been suggested by hang- the -9 will not make much difference coz i have
already tried doing that ( i formatted the hard drive of my computer and then did a fresh installation of windows 7 and never installed any antivirus accept the motherboard drivers into the pc so that nothing can disturb the performance of the card.....and Next i have downloaded the latest driver from the nvidia website ...SO, there is no point of bugs in it.....Rest the computer fezzes or slow down completely when i try to connect the card with it)......
Now, answering your question ..... MAN i have already wrote the power supply specifications in the email on the very first time...CHECK THIS OUT ( SMPS: Iball 400 VA PWS)
THAT Describes the Make: IBALL/ Model: LPE223-400 ....... I think i have to buy a new power supply .... Will COOLER MASTER BE A RIGHT CHOICE TO GO WITH....PLS HELP
OUT WITH THE SMPS SPECIFICATIONS OR THE GOOD MODELS....

THANKS

AAKASH