UPS Question...

JacobG

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
I currently work for the Sheriffs Office and our dispatch area has a total of 5 computers and 6 monitors. I was asked by my administration if there was a way to keep those computers on if there was a power surge. Currently only 1 of the computers and monitors is on a UPS. So i need to get a UPS for the other 4 computers and 5 monitors.

What im asking here is if there is a UPS that is capable of running all these on 1 UPS. Or am i going to have to purchase multiple UPS's to run all these computers and monitors? Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jacob G.

popatim

Titan
If there is a power surge you dont need a ups at all to keep them running, just a surge protector. <grin>

So I'm guessing he meant a power outage in which case you need to know how long he desires them to run for. What his budget is for initial cost and then maintenance, well on a bigger unit you would want it under contract as those smaller single units typically give you time to shut down but thats about it.
then while hes figuring that out yuo can run around witha kill-a-watt and measure the load and power factor each pc is using so you have some idea of what your typical power drain looks like. You want to take these measurements while the pc is actually being used and not just siting there. Once you know your load and runtime requirement you can call the various companies for ideas on which models might work for you. Research their runtime charts, battery aging, how long batteries typically work well before they need replacing. (about 3 years in my experience, way less for these small under desk units)

A 3000va unit would give you around 15 minutes runtime (less with battery aging) with a 1500w load for example. battery packs can extend the runtime if the UPS supports their use.

A question for you though, why isn't the whole building on an emergency generator?
It is the sherriffs dept after all. (ie - what good is the computer going to do you if the lights, base station radio, ac/heat, etc - are all out?)

JacobG

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

We do have an emergency generator but it does not normally kick on immediately, it usually takes about 30 seconds to a minute to kick on. So we really don't need lots of time. Maybe, just in case 5 minutes on the battery would suffice.

If i knew how many watts each computer's power supply was and then did some research on the monitors we have would i be able to determine what kind of load all of them together would be giving off?