Gaming Build i7-2600k Help!

fishychips

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Hey guys, pretty new here and I'm also new to the enthusiast scene, but I was wondering if you could guys double check my build and make sure my PSU will back it up.

So far I got:

-i7-2600k
-P67 Sabertooth
-GTX 580 3GB card
-NZXT Phantom
-2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 ram (g.skill sniper series)
-1.5 TB Green Caviar
-64gb m4 crucial SSD
-850 watt RAIDMAX 80 GOLD PLUS

I'm pretty sure that's it. I play on overclocking to around 4.5 ghz for the i7, and I plan on adding LEDs and few more fans and a COOLING FAN for the cpu.
Will my power supply cover all this?

Solution
a single CPU and GPU will run fine on the PSU you supplied. Video Cards are not supposed to draw more than 300 watts and most CPUs are about half that. You could probably overclock the crap out of both on a 450 or 500 watt on air but its when you get more components and water cooling pumps when you will have to worry about a larger PSU.

I would not go as far as belittling raidmax but I would get a corsair as well, they have incredible build quality for the price and amazing support turnaround. Also seem to have the most stable/consistent power per rail. Some PSUs suffer from having the power draw suffer on one rail if another changes, leading to blue screens, lockups, or in a worse case a blown capacitor or hardware.

dasper

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
a single CPU and GPU will run fine on the PSU you supplied. Video Cards are not supposed to draw more than 300 watts and most CPUs are about half that. You could probably overclock the crap out of both on a 450 or 500 watt on air but its when you get more components and water cooling pumps when you will have to worry about a larger PSU.

I would not go as far as belittling raidmax but I would get a corsair as well, they have incredible build quality for the price and amazing support turnaround. Also seem to have the most stable/consistent power per rail. Some PSUs suffer from having the power draw suffer on one rail if another changes, leading to blue screens, lockups, or in a worse case a blown capacitor or hardware.

Solution

dasper

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
also, not to talk you out of an amazing i7 but if all you are doing is gaming then you will see little benefit having a 2600k over a 2500k other than bragging rights in the name of the proc and a lighter bank account.