Sign in with
Your question

Custom Built computer Blacking out!! help!

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 30, 2011 9:24:56 PM

I have just built a new gaming computer and since its been built, it has blacked out a few times. Let me explain what i mean. At random (cannot duplicate on command) the screen will go blank, the audio will turn off but the computer will remain running, with all the lights and fans going. But strangly the only way to turn it off is to flip the switch, because holding down the button does nothing for me. Ive checked power settings, ran virus scans, checked temp files and registry, but see nothing strange. Reinstalled video card drivers from CD but to no avail.
System Hardware.
Motherboard -- MSI 890FXA-GD65
Video Card -- HIS Radeon HD 6950
RAM -- 8g G Skill DDR3
Hard Drive -- 320 Sata (It was from my old computer, completely reformatted though)
CD Drive - Sata DVD Reader
Case - Phantom
Power Supply -- Corsair 750w Power Supply
Monitor -- 19Inch LCD (Also from my old computer, but no issues)
Case Fans -- Top Fan 200mm, Back Fan 120mm. Two Side fans 120mm and One Front fan 120mm.
CPU -- AMD II Processor Quad Core (Black Edition with stock fan)

On a side note ive seen no heating problems at all, Core Temp is loaded and i rarely go above 115 degrees. If you need a event log please give me a link to download one that would be effective or not, im really not sure what is going on with it

More about : custom built computer blacking

a b B Homebuilt system
June 30, 2011 9:33:17 PM

Chances are, it's the Video Card, try replacing another one in the old ones place
m
l
June 30, 2011 9:37:57 PM

This sounds like a motherboard issue to me, the clues are the fact that the sound goes off along with the graphics card, but the power stays on, and you cant shut down with the power button.

I dont see how it could be PSU or Graphics card related.

The only other thing I can think of is sometimes the Windows Sleep Mode will error and do the exact thing you are talking about and the only way to recover is to hit the reset button.

Question: Does your mouse and keyboard power down as well?

Thoughts anyone?
m
l
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
June 30, 2011 9:40:30 PM

More info please.

Does this only happen in games?

All games or just one?

Quote:
Core Temp is loaded and i rarely go above 115 degrees

I hope that's Fahrenheit.
m
l
June 30, 2011 9:57:20 PM

I hope its not a hardware issue where i need to replace anything, and as far as the mouse and keyboard go im not sure! I believe they do, but i will let you know if it happens again. And yes 115 F not C lol. Anythings i can do to help narrow the problem down? Its really frustrating me!!

EDIT: It normally happens during gaming, and not on just one. Has shut off completely once while i was just watching netflix.
m
l
June 30, 2011 10:22:21 PM

You need to run tests to try to duplicate the issue on cue.

Prime95 with Core temp to see if stressing the CPU causes the issue.

Furmark for the same reason with the GPU.

Then turn off your screen saver and disable every unneeded program and process you can, and see if the problem happens still.

Could be sound related for sure.
m
l
June 30, 2011 11:20:32 PM

Did the furmark thing and it seemed to run perfectly fine, any stats you need from the burn in test?
m
l
June 30, 2011 11:32:44 PM

You could monitor the various temps off the card using GPU-Z, but if it was stable it's not an issue.

If it's not a software conflict then you might try disabling sound in some game and run that for a while, see if you crash?
m
l
June 30, 2011 11:47:58 PM

Freq : 3399.65 MHz (199.98 * 17)
I went to validate my Graphics on CPU-Z and that came up red, no idea if that has anything to do with anything, but i'll try the sound thing, and the temp seems fine on the video card, i'll double check tho
m
l
June 30, 2011 11:56:17 PM

You need to run Prime95 so that you are fully using the processor, while you do that. otherwise you just have the non-turbo speed.

Heh wrong thread/processor. Not sure why that's an issue right off.
m
l
July 1, 2011 12:01:48 AM

those numbers mean anything?
m
l
July 1, 2011 12:22:16 AM

That's the core speed and multiplier... it might be red because the core speed is slightly under 200Mhz, which is the default. Should not be a stability issue though.
m
l
July 1, 2011 3:27:16 AM

Oh okay, thanks for helping me...i seriously have no idea what is causing this...so far today nothing out of the ordinary has happened, but it will happen again im sure. And it always happens when im busy gaming usually, at the worse times. Any event loggers i could download to give maybe an error code of why its shutting down?
m
l
July 1, 2011 3:40:25 AM

Nothing better than what is already built in to Win 7.

m
l
July 1, 2011 3:41:55 AM

Which is?
m
l
July 1, 2011 4:47:31 AM

Okay, whats the best way to record whats going on? or search through it to find maybe what went wrong when the crashes occurred?
m
l
!