photo management software for Macs (OS X)

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 9, 2005 1:29:44 PM

What programs are Mac OS X users using for managing their photos?

A friend was using iPhoto, and he cropped an image (intending to zoom)
and when he moved on to the next image in the directory iPhoto
automatically overwrote the original! Fortunately this wasn't an
important image (a test shot in a series to determine how noisy his
camera is when shooting long exposures in low light, a test he's going
to repeat anyway), but IMHO this is NOT desired behavior for serious
image management software.

He also has C1-Pro and has given it a brief look. The "session"
concept is a bit confusing and I'm not sure that this is ideal for his
needs.

What other software programs do Mac users suggest he should consider?

jc
March 9, 2005 3:02:53 PM

Look for the menu item - "Revert to Original" - the original was not
overwritten and you should be able to retrieve it at any time.

I personally like iPhoto, but I'm using Windows now so I pretty much
use photoshop for everything.

Brian

JC Dill wrote:
> What programs are Mac OS X users using for managing their photos?
>
> A friend was using iPhoto, and he cropped an image (intending to
zoom)
> and when he moved on to the next image in the directory iPhoto
> automatically overwrote the original! Fortunately this wasn't an
> important image (a test shot in a series to determine how noisy his
> camera is when shooting long exposures in low light, a test he's
going
> to repeat anyway), but IMHO this is NOT desired behavior for serious
> image management software.
>
> He also has C1-Pro and has given it a brief look. The "session"
> concept is a bit confusing and I'm not sure that this is ideal for
his
> needs.
>
> What other software programs do Mac users suggest he should consider?
>
> jc
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 2:03:47 AM

"Brian" <ripcurl187@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Look for the menu item - "Revert to Original" - the original was not
> overwritten and you should be able to retrieve it at any time.
>
> I personally like iPhoto, but I'm using Windows now so I pretty much
> use photoshop for everything.

It is nice for general stuff - i.e. wife/husband (insert your own sexual
preferecne and technological bias here...) and kids using it

However - RAW support (although now technically there) is patchy at best,
and slow.

For image import, slideshows etc it's OK - but not even good IMHO. Iview
mediaPRO is OK, but expensive - and limited in certain bizarre ways.

Photoshop is a different animal and is really an editor as opposed to an
easy-use browser.

I'd like an answer to this question as well. I've given iPhoto a fair shot,
but for my (RAW) use, it still fails dismally. I hope they improve it soon.
March 10, 2005 2:03:48 AM

On 3/9/05 6:03 PM, in article X42dnSF1UuBKHbLfRVnyjw@giganews.com, "adm"
<adm1@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> I'd like an answer to this question as well. I've given iPhoto a fair shot,
> but for my (RAW) use, it still fails dismally. I hope they improve it soon.

I've given up on iPhoto. It's nice if you use jpeg format, but if you move
on to RAW format, it is just too cumbersome. At this point I use Photoshop
file browser.
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 3:40:10 AM

On 3/9/05 12:29 PM, in article
1110392984.632579.237680@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com, "JC Dill"
<jcdill@gmail.com> wrote:

> What programs are Mac OS X users using for managing their photos?
>
> A friend was using iPhoto, and he cropped an image (intending to zoom)
> and when he moved on to the next image in the directory iPhoto
> automatically overwrote the original! Fortunately this wasn't an
> important image (a test shot in a series to determine how noisy his
> camera is when shooting long exposures in low light, a test he's going
> to repeat anyway), but IMHO this is NOT desired behavior for serious
> image management software.
>
> He also has C1-Pro and has given it a brief look. The "session"
> concept is a bit confusing and I'm not sure that this is ideal for his
> needs.
>
> What other software programs do Mac users suggest he should consider?
>
> jc

I use iPhoto to put together some small albums. But for my primary file
management I use the Photoshop CS file browser (along with the Finder).
Your friend might also take a look a iView Media Pro.
Chuck
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 3:56:20 AM

"adm" <adm1@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> I've given iPhoto a fair shot,
> but for my (RAW) use, it still fails dismally.

Nikon View 6 has RAW support, and I don't believe you need a Nikon
camera to use it. And it's free.

Also, GraphicConverter is a Mac must-have.
m-m
March 10, 2005 12:10:35 PM

adm <adm1@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> I'd like an answer to this question as well. I've given iPhoto a fair shot,
> but for my (RAW) use, it still fails dismally. I hope they improve it soon.

I use iPhoto to catalogue and arrange my photos. It has a lot of power
under the hood so to speak, if you can unearth it thought!

One very powerfull feature is the 'smart album' feature which is just a
custom search feature in DataBase terms. With this I can add comments to
any photo and it will automatically appear in that smart album if a
match is made. So, depending on the setup, a patricular shot can appear
in multiple collections, say, in an album collecting beach scenes, blue
sky scenes, etc. All without moving or duplicationg the original of
course.

Cratring custom slide shows for projection at particular events is very
easy this way. I think of the 'Library' as a drawer full of individual
film rolls which is fixed and unchanging - and I do the sorting and
arranging with Smart Albums.

I also really like the option to painlessly ordering prints to be
delivered to friends and family without me having to use a printer
myself - excellent service! There is a similar process for e-mailing
reduced sized images as well. I find the slide-show process very
painless - we often show friends our latest trip photos on the laptop
this way, accompanied with music of our choice, this can then be
authored as a Quicktime move or burnt onto DVD if need be, all very
painless and quick.

It is a little unfair to critisise iPhot for not being as good an editor
as Photoshop, IPhoto is free, Photoshop is the most expensive image
editor out there. Each has its strengths and weaknesses.

My workflow is to use iPhoto to catalogue and arrange my work - but I
have it setup so that when I double click on the image it opens
Photoshop. I believe this is possible with RAW files as well. I can't
test this out yet as iPhoto does not support my camera yet (dam!) but as
soon as it does I will get iPhoto to store my RAW images, but produce
the final print image or whatever usiing the RAW converter in Photoshop.
I don't really like the Browser in Photoshop myself.

I think the search for one programme to do everything is a long way off,
so for me I am happy to use a few tools to get the job done. I hardly
ever print out stuff these days, its mostly for screen viewing and
projection to audiences in the main (like slides I guess!), and
sometimes lots of trip photos printed on A3 to hang up in the house so
we can see lots of images of our holidays at once - saves boring friends
with paper photo albums!
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 2:52:51 PM

JC Dill <jcdill@gmail.com> wrote:

> What programs are Mac OS X users using for managing their photos?
>
> A friend was using iPhoto, and he cropped an image (intending to zoom) and
> when he moved on to the next image in the directory iPhoto automatically
> overwrote the original! Fortunately this wasn't an important image (a
> test shot in a series to determine how noisy his camera is when shooting
> long exposures in low light, a test he's going to repeat anyway), but IMHO
> this is NOT desired behavior for serious image management software.

iPhoto doesn't do that. It holds the original in a separate folder.
That's how it reverts back to the original. In fact, for every photo you
even look at in the edit window, there are two copies of the file on
your hard drive.

> He also has C1-Pro and has given it a brief look. The "session"
> concept is a bit confusing and I'm not sure that this is ideal for his
> needs.
>
> What other software programs do Mac users suggest he should consider?

iView Media or iView Media Pro. The pro version lets you manage EXIF and
IPTC, among other things.

GraphicConverter deserves mention, too.

There are also a few bare-bones shareware/freeware image browsers out
there, such as uAlbum. Search on versiontracker.com.
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 6:06:41 PM

On 3/10/05 3:10 AM, in article 1gt79rr.vc4o8l10aw9peN%nospam@nospam.com,
"Keith" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> I use iPhoto to catalogue and arrange my photos. It has a lot of power
> under the hood so to speak, if you can unearth it thought!
>
> One very powerfull feature is the 'smart album' feature which is just a
> custom search feature in DataBase terms. With this I can add comments to
> any photo and it will automatically appear in that smart album if a
> match is made. So, depending on the setup, a patricular shot can appear
> in multiple collections, say, in an album collecting beach scenes, blue
> sky scenes, etc. All without moving or duplicationg the original of
> course.
>
> Cratring custom slide shows for projection at particular events is very
> easy this way. I think of the 'Library' as a drawer full of individual
> film rolls which is fixed and unchanging - and I do the sorting and
> arranging with Smart Albums.
>
> I also really like the option to painlessly ordering prints to be
> delivered to friends and family without me having to use a printer
> myself - excellent service! There is a similar process for e-mailing
> reduced sized images as well. I find the slide-show process very
> painless - we often show friends our latest trip photos on the laptop
> this way, accompanied with music of our choice, this can then be
> authored as a Quicktime move or burnt onto DVD if need be, all very
> painless and quick.
>
> It is a little unfair to critisise iPhot for not being as good an editor
> as Photoshop, IPhoto is free, Photoshop is the most expensive image
> editor out there. Each has its strengths and weaknesses.

A couple of corrections:
- iPhoto is not free. It *is* included with new Mac computers so in that
sense could be considered 'free.' However if, for example, your Mac came
with iPhoto 4 and you now want the new iPhoto 5 you have to purchase the
whole iLife package at full retail, there is no discount of any kind for
upgraders.

> My workflow is to use iPhoto to catalogue and arrange my work - but I
> have it setup so that when I double click on the image it opens
> Photoshop. I believe this is possible with RAW files as well. I can't
> test this out yet as iPhoto does not support my camera yet (dam!) but as
> soon as it does I will get iPhoto to store my RAW images, but produce
> the final print image or whatever usiing the RAW converter in Photoshop.
> I don't really like the Browser in Photoshop myself.

It is possible to double click raw files in iPhoto 5 and have them open in
Photoshop *but* (and this is a huge but) the file is converted to a jpeg by
iPhoto before sending it to Photoshop. This negates most all of the
advantages of shooting raw in the first place!

> I think the search for one programme to do everything is a long way off,
> so for me I am happy to use a few tools to get the job done. I hardly
> ever print out stuff these days, its mostly for screen viewing and
> projection to audiences in the main (like slides I guess!), and
> sometimes lots of trip photos printed on A3 to hang up in the house so
> we can see lots of images of our holidays at once - saves boring friends
> with paper photo albums!

The above may sound like I don't like iPhoto but I actually think that it is
a pretty good program. However, whoever thought that converting raws to
jpegs in the process of sending them for editing should be retired from the
iPhoto development team!
Chuck
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 7:57:18 PM

"M-M" <nospam@ny.more> wrote in message
> In article <X42dnSF1UuBKHbLfRVnyjw@giganews.com>,
> "adm" <adm1@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>> I've given iPhoto a fair shot,
>> but for my (RAW) use, it still fails dismally.
>
> Nikon View 6 has RAW support, and I don't believe you need a Nikon
> camera to use it. And it's free.

I know. I have it already. And PSCS.

> Also, GraphicConverter is a Mac must-have.

Got it too !

I'm just dissapointed in iPhoto becuase my wife and kids use it a lot and I
would have liked them to be able to easily play with my RAW files as well as
thier jpgs.
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 8:09:54 PM

"Keith" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> adm <adm1@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>> I'd like an answer to this question as well. I've given iPhoto a fair
>> shot,
>> but for my (RAW) use, it still fails dismally. I hope they improve it
>> soon.
>
> I use iPhoto to catalogue and arrange my photos. It has a lot of power
> under the hood so to speak, if you can unearth it thought!

That's what I have been trying to do. My wife and kids use it and I wanted
to use it as a generic browser/viewer.

> One very powerfull feature is the 'smart album' feature which is just a
> custom search feature in DataBase terms. With this I can add comments to
> any photo and it will automatically appear in that smart album if a
> match is made. So, depending on the setup, a patricular shot can appear
> in multiple collections, say, in an album collecting beach scenes, blue
> sky scenes, etc. All without moving or duplicationg the original of
> course.
>
> Cratring custom slide shows for projection at particular events is very
> easy this way. I think of the 'Library' as a drawer full of individual
> film rolls which is fixed and unchanging - and I do the sorting and
> arranging with Smart Albums.

I have the "film roll" concept. I want to be able to create specific
directories for different reasons.

To be honest, I have been playing with Picase 2 on the PC, and it does
everything I want a browser to do.....iPhoto on thr Mac just sin't as good.

Pity there's not a Mac OS X version of Picase or iPhotow would be in the
bin.

> I also really like the option to painlessly ordering prints to be
> delivered to friends and family without me having to use a printer
> myself - excellent service! There is a similar process for e-mailing
> reduced sized images as well. I find the slide-show process very
> painless - we often show friends our latest trip photos on the laptop
> this way, accompanied with music of our choice, this can then be
> authored as a Quicktime move or burnt onto DVD if need be, all very
> painless and quick.
>
> It is a little unfair to critisise iPhot for not being as good an editor
> as Photoshop, IPhoto is free, Photoshop is the most expensive image
> editor out there. Each has its strengths and weaknesses.

It's not free ! I had to buy a $3000 Mac.....

And the upgrade to iLife 5 wasn't free either...

Picasa was though !

> My workflow is to use iPhoto to catalogue and arrange my work - but I
> have it setup so that when I double click on the image it opens
> Photoshop.

Me too - with Picasa on the PC, and iPhoto (slowly) on the Mac.

> I believe this is possible with RAW files as well. I can't
> test this out yet as iPhoto does not support my camera yet (dam!) but as
> soon as it does I will get iPhoto to store my RAW images, but produce
> the final print image or whatever usiing the RAW converter in Photoshop.
> I don't really like the Browser in Photoshop myself.

Me neither. iPhoto is SLOW with RAW files though if you want to browse large
sized images.

> I think the search for one programme to do everything is a long way off,
> so for me I am happy to use a few tools to get the job done. I hardly
> ever print out stuff these days, its mostly for screen viewing and
> projection to audiences in the main (like slides I guess!),

Same here. Don't get me worng - I like iPhoto, but this first version with
RAW support is slow. Maybe it will improve.

One wierd thing with iPhoto though - I can't seem to make it do slideshows
in random order.

> sometimes lots of trip photos printed on A3 to hang up in the house so
> we can see lots of images of our holidays at once - saves boring friends
> with paper photo albums!
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 11:43:03 PM

> > What other software programs do Mac users suggest he should consider?

I use Graphic Converter for slideshows and Photoshop Elements for
editing. To organize I have 2 folders on my desktop: "Photos" and
"Sorted Photos."

I d/l from the camera to the empty "Photos" folder, then make an
appropriately titled subfolder describing the contents and move it to
the "Sorted Photos" folder.

That's all the organizing I need. Easy to look up. When the "Sorted"
folder gets over 650MB, I burn it to CD and catalog the contents.

m-m
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 2:35:24 PM

Paul Mitchum wrote:

>iPhoto doesn't do that. It holds the original in a separate folder.
>That's how it reverts back to the original. In fact, for every photo
you
>even look at in the edit window, there are two copies of the file on
>your hard drive.

That's not a desirable feature, it just eats up disk space for no good
purpose and makes it harder to find "the image" you were viewing in
iPhoto when using another program.

>> What other software programs do Mac users suggest he should
consider?

>iView Media or iView Media Pro. The pro version lets you manage
>EXIF and IPTC, among other things.

Can you elaborate on how iView Media Pro manages EXIF and IPTC? Does
it utilize these to store keywords and captions etc in the image file
itself so that the data is there to be used by other programs (for
instance when making slideshows or webpages)?

Thanks!

jc
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 3:17:41 PM

JC Dill <jcdill@gmail.com> wrote:

> Paul Mitchum wrote:
>
> >iPhoto doesn't do that. It holds the original in a separate folder.
> >That's how it reverts back to the original. In fact, for every photo
> >you even look at in the edit window, there are two copies of the file on
> >your hard drive.
>
> That's not a desirable feature, it just eats up disk space for no good
> purpose and makes it harder to find "the image" you were viewing in iPhoto
> when using another program.

The reason for it is that iPhoto keeps a backup of the original file
that came from the camera. This way you can revert the file back to the
untouched original, if you want to.

There are a few utilities out there to cull the unused files and recover
disk space, if you know you're not going to need them.

As far as finding 'the image,' that's pretty easy. You just tell iPhoto
to show it to you in the Finder.

> >> What other software programs do Mac users suggest he should consider?
>
> >iView Media or iView Media Pro. The pro version lets you manage EXIF and
> >IPTC, among other things.
>
> Can you elaborate on how iView Media Pro manages EXIF and IPTC? Does it
> utilize these to store keywords and captions etc in the image file itself
> so that the data is there to be used by other programs (for instance when
> making slideshows or webpages)?

Media Pro uses the metahor of catalogues. So you add media files to
catalogues, and the catalogue itself is a database of all the metadata
about the files in it. The media files themselves stay on your hard
drive, and don't end up in the database; Media Pro just deals with the
metadata.

So you can enter EXIF and IPTC data into the database, and search and
sort on it. You can also optionally embed the metadata into the files
themselves as a separate step.

There's a free trial version you might consider looking at. :-)
!