manx87

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Hi guys, to make long story short, I'm building a new pc , i installed cpu and ram,mounted mobo into the case installed gfx card and drives and finally fitted psu which was the stock no-name psu labeled 400w which i think fake number,afer i check all connections and cables , i coonect the power cord to the socket and pressed the power button , nothing happened and just take a look inside the case i noticed the cpu fan spins for a second stops, so i disconnected pc and checked connections to make sure everything is ok, and at moment of stupidity , i changed the psu voltage switch from and powered on the computer again just to hear a loud bang followed by a smoke coming out of the psu I asap removed power cable from the socket and take out the psu which was smells like burnt wood, I checked the motherboard there is no visible damage that i can see , i'm now worried that any of my components get damaged , I ordered a new psu but hasn't arrived yet, please i need answer asap and i would be grateful, thank you in advanced my system specs gigabyte ga-68a-dz-bz,intel core i3 3.ghz , graphic card is gigabyte gt240

The only way to see if it damaged anything will be to test with the new PSU when it arrives. Hopefully you bought a decent unit this time that doesnt have a voltage switch on the back. If you did get one with a little voltage switch on it, send it back and try again.