Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Issue with EVGA 260 GTX Core 216

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 17, 2011 8:08:33 PM

I recently upgraded my GPU from a 260 GTX Core 216 to a 560ti, and I put my old GPU into my brother's PC, which was running integrated AMD graphics.
As soon as I installed the card, my brother's PC has been plagued by crashes anytime he tries to stress the GPU.

To troubleshoot, I performed a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (his OS before that was Vista Ulitimate x64), installed the latest graphics drivers for his card from the EVGA website, and attempted to run CINEBENCH 11.5 64-bit to stress test the GPU; however, the computer crashed and rebooted before the rendering test started (THERE WAS NO BSOD -- the monitor went into "power-saving mode" and the next screen to appear was POST). As of now, I am fairly sure that this is an issue with the power supply, but I want to know what any of you think it might be.

For reference, here is a link to the benchmark I was using, as well as my brother's current setup:

http://www.maxon.net/downloads/cinebench/cinebench-115....

Motherboard: Gigabyte 880GM-UD2H
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 260 (stock clock)
RAM: 4 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 (running at 1066 MHz)
Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212+
GPU: AMD onboard graphics (or the 260GTX Core 216)
PSU: Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 550W
HDD: WD 500 GB Caviar Blue
LG IDE Drive

Any input as to what is causing this issue and what I can do to solve it would be appreciated.

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
April 17, 2011 8:25:48 PM

Reset the BIOS? Maybe disable the onboard video. The motherboard would have ATI graphics. I know sometimes they do not play nice together. Just thinking out loud here.
April 17, 2011 8:28:54 PM

I was looking around in the BIOS for that setting, do you have any idea of what it would be called?
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
April 17, 2011 8:34:20 PM

No idea. Done have one of those to poke around in. Look in the manual. I am sure it's in there.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 17, 2011 9:46:43 PM

Cooler master has made some lemons in the past but I believe that it is a psu related problem. Check the volts on the unit and once again during load. Report back when you are done.
m
l
April 17, 2011 10:11:35 PM

I live in the US and the 230 V setting is visible on the switch. Is this the proper setting?

I am aware that if this switch is in the wrong position I could seriously damage the computer.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 18, 2011 12:48:36 AM

-_- no the volts during use not the input switch. Flip it and try it will only burn out the unit. The volts on the rails, like 12v to be more precise. Speedfan works or you can looks in the bios under pc health ect.
m
l
April 25, 2011 3:00:35 AM

Best answer selected by p014k.
m
l
!