I/O Shield difficulty

taintisgod

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
This is my first custom build, and I'm at the last part and its the I/O shield... never would of thought it would give me this much difficulty to have it stay in place.

How hard should I have to push this thing into the motherboard ports for it to stay? It really is not staying where its supposed to at all. I did not do anything to the tiny metal "springs" on it, maybe that's why I'm having difficulty? Am I supposed to straighten them for them to stay on it in some spots?

Should I not have left this for the last part? (lol). I thought that it would just snap right on after the motherboard was installed and that was it.... it seems like the easiest percieved part is becoming the most difficult.

Any suggestions/Ideas?

Motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD7-B3 and the case is a Lanboy Air

Thanks in advance for any help

Solution
FYI first thing in a build for me is the I/O shield. First time I did a build forgot it (slaps head hard):). Had to take the MB loose and slide it in.
I/o shields are tough little buggers lol, they mount from the inside btw
take the mobo back out, look at the 'outside' of the shield, theres tiny bumps that have to pass through the case to hold it in place, and it can take a fair bit of force to pop those through sometimes,
I usually put the case on its side line up the bottom edge in place, slide in one short side, then its a wiggling game as to whether the other edge or the short one pops next, but it will go, it just takes more force than you'd be happy with as a first time builder,
then fit mobo by sliding the I/o ports to the necessary holes and fix a couple of mobo screws, there may be a slight resistance as it pushes the shield, but thats normal
good on you for asking first though, stick with that policy and you'll avoid costly errors in the future :)
Moto

taintisgod

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011

I already installed the mobo and EVERYTHING else.... is there any other way I can do it without taking the mobo out and having to do all that over again?

The Lanboy AIR has a retractable mobo tray, so maybe I can slide it forward a bit and try to fit it in without actually taking it out.

I don't have the smallest fingers lol, but if its worth it I'll try to get in there from inside and put it in. Trying to fit my fingers between the enormous heatsink and back panel might be tough though...

nope sorry, the shield is fitted into the case before the mobo is fitted,
The Mobo is going to have to come out I'm afraid
you 'could' glue the shield on the outside of the case I guess, but I wouldn't advise it to be honest
you can slide the Mobo tray our, but you still have the issue of the Mobo being in the way of what your trying to do, less risk of damage doing it properly
Moto

taintisgod

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
I edited my post while you were writing yours I think...

I mentioned the Lanboy has a retractable mobo tray and I could perhaps slide it forward and fit it in... should I try that?

apologies if you saw that already at the time of your last answer

popatim

Titan
if you cant slide it in, feel free to leave it off. I have worked on several build where it was left out, never received (like used board), didnt fit right, or waas damaged and all these systems work fine without it. Just make sure you have positive airflow (way more intake fan than exhaust) you dont want these to suck in dust.

taintisgod

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
Yahtzee! I was able to do it with the LANBOY Air by taking off the back panel and sliding the mobo tray forward, hence not taking the mobo out and redoing everything!

I appreciate and want to thank everyone for lending their opinions based on experience. I'm sure theres no way I could of done this the way I did it if I didn't have the LANBOY.

I am choosing DogSnake as the best answer because on my next build better believe I'll be putting in that damn I/O Shield first, it would of really been a pain having to take out the mobo and everything for just the I/O shield if I had to do that.