Video driver crashes in Firefox but not in games. Possible bad card?

SoylentGreen

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Hi guys, I'm at a loss trying to figure out what is going on with my machine. I have used this video card for about a year now. Starting in the last month or two, I've started getting video driver crashes on my Windows 7 x64 machine. The exact error message is Event 4101: "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered." The only other messages in the event log related to the video card are tons of these, Event 62464: "UVD information". I've researched this error everywhere and nobody has an answer to why this is happening. Even ATI's website regarding this error just has the standard crap about power supplies and overheating.

I get this crash randomly when:
-Using Firefox 4
-Using IE9
-Running Flash apps, either stand alone or in a browser
-Running Java games (3D games)

It does not crash when:
-Windows is idle
-Playing 3D games like Dragon Age II, (maxed out settings)
-Benchmarking DX10 and DX11, like 3DMark and FurMark

I have tried the following troubleshooting:
-Re-installed Windows 7
-Installed the card into a different computer.
-Installing the latest drivers
-Rolled back to older Microsoft drivers.
-Replaced the power supply
-Disabled hardware acceleration in Firefox and Flash
-Tried to overclock the card, and underclock it too.
-

So how is it possible that I can play 3D games but not 3D-accelerated Flash or Firefox? What kind of acceleration does Firefox use exactly? Is it DirectX or OpenGL or something completely different? Can it be possible that one part on this card is damaged while the 3D gaming functions perfectly?

Specs:
MSI Lightning Radeon 5870 1 GB GDDR5
Windows 7 x64 SP1
AMD Phenom II X6 1090t, Asus M4A89GTD, 8 GB Kingston HyperX RAM, OCZ Vertex 2 60 GB SSD.
Thermaltake 850 Watt PSU
Card temps are about 48 idle, and 68 full load. Idles at 157mhz core, 300mhz memory, and 900/1200 on load.

Solution
If this is your motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131631&Tpk=M4A89GTD

then, you can eliminate a lot of things by running the system off the on-board graphics. I'd un-install the video driver. Remove the MSI 5870. Then connect your monitor to the on-board video and turn on the system. Don't install ANY drivers. Let windows find and recommend on, then accept that.

Run for a few days and see if that solves your problem with crashes in FireFox... then you know your RAM, MB, CPU, Window7, HD, power supply, ....

If it runs for days with no issues then it's either your 5870 or the drivers. Re-install the card, and again let windows suggest a driver. Be sure to disable the on-board graphics in the...

jb6684

Distinguished
If this is your motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131631&Tpk=M4A89GTD

then, you can eliminate a lot of things by running the system off the on-board graphics. I'd un-install the video driver. Remove the MSI 5870. Then connect your monitor to the on-board video and turn on the system. Don't install ANY drivers. Let windows find and recommend on, then accept that.

Run for a few days and see if that solves your problem with crashes in FireFox... then you know your RAM, MB, CPU, Window7, HD, power supply, ....

If it runs for days with no issues then it's either your 5870 or the drivers. Re-install the card, and again let windows suggest a driver. Be sure to disable the on-board graphics in the BIOS....

Solution

SoylentGreen

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008

Good point, I forgot this motherboard has a built in video card. I'll try that out, thanks