Which one should i get?

G

Hayloo guys,i'm new to the community and i registered because i want your help.

Anyways,here are my system specs :

Intel Core 2 Duo e4500 2.20 gghz

3 GB DDR2 RAM

P5LD2 X/1333 motherboard

MS 400 ATX ( 450 w PSU )

Asus 8500 GT Silent 512 mb DDR2

Pretty good specs i'd say but the graphics card is bottlenecking my computer,therefore,i realised a graphics card upgrade is needed.

A friend of mine offered me a GT 220 or a HD 5450,for low money,but i know that those cards aren't really great for gamers.
I wanted to get a GTS 250 but it needs a stronger PSU,so yeah :/

Now i need a good graphics card like the GTS 250,9800 GTX,GT 240 but with less power consumption.

I'm thinking about these :

- HD 4850
- HD 4670
- 9800 GTX (Not quite sure if the dude has it and if my psu is good enough)
- HD 4830
- HD 5830
- HD 5670

Which one would do the trick? Recommend me some others :)

Thanks in advance and best regards,
- Droodle

jb6684

Distinguished
Here is a link to for recommended power supply size for each video card...

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Next issue, not all power supplies really meet their specifications. What brand and model power supply do you have? If you have a true "450watt supply" it must supply 37A (amps) total on the +12volt rail(s). It has do produce this level continuously, not just peak or for short periods of time.

Bottom line, VERY unlikely a no-name supply is really putting out the Listed power they claim. And, even if it did, from the link above only a few low end video cards will work with only 450watts....

Get a good solid 650watt supply from Antec, Corsair, or Seasonic (about $50 best case). Then pick up a good mid-line card like a GTX460 or AMD 5770 (about $100 best case)

G

I can only get a new graphics card .. I can think about a new psu later.
I'm thinking to buy a HD5570 or HD5550 which both require 350 w PSUs,but,do you think i would get a great performance boost when upgrading? (From a 8500 GT)

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
How much later? Also consider a new CPU or platform because at 2.2Ghz in all games you will see a bottleneck. Buy a 5770 or similar(like gts450, 5750) and buy a new PSu a little bit later.

I would reccomend the 5570.It is possible to run something as high as a 5670 on your PSU but it's not a sure thing so I wouldn't push it.The PSU is one of the more serious issues within a PC,if the PSU cannot handle it theirs a possibility it might take everything else with it when it dies thats why i'm reccomending the 5570.

You should see a huge improvement with the 5570.

What resoultion are you palying at?

G

Usually 1024 x 768
I'm gonna go now and check if the dude selling that kind of stuff has one,and how much it costs.
Thanks dudes

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Anything greater than the 5670 will need additional power to the card besides what the pci-e port can deliver. Unless your PSU has at least one 6 port plug for the video card, (doubtful), that's the best you can get.

G

I checked and the nerd has a HD 5550 1 GB ddr2,do you think that's a good graphics card? He hasn't anything more now :/ I'm thinking about the 5500.. I'm confused lol

G

Oh my goodness..

I just saw a comparison between a GT 220 and a HD 5500 .. I was just shocked.

I didn't knew this one was SO bad ..

I'm not sure if i can post this link,but here : http://www.hwcompare.com/285/geforce-gt-220-gddr3-vs-radeon-hd-5550/

I'm sad :/

Raw stats of video cards are definitely not what you should be looking at. It takes a lot of experience to factor all the different specifications of a card. You should be looking at benchmarks because in the end it is performance that matters.
That said DDR2 and 128 bit memory bus is certainly going to give lackluster results in today's games. Here is a review that compares those 2 cards with actual numbers from games;
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd550_ultimate/

I used to own a 5570 a while back and i thought it was pretty good for what it was.Given I had 3.4ghz quad core to back it up but it still did alright.

With your resoultion I don't think it would be that bad to get the 5550.Maybe just buy something cheap as a temperary fix until you are ready to upgrade your PC.

G

I think the HD 5500 will do a little better job than the GT 220 at the resolution i usually play on. Anyways,i'm trying to digg out a GT 240,since both the GT 220 and HD 5500 eat dust from the GT 240 as far as i see.

G

God damn,the nerdy dude now tells me he doesn't have a HD 5500 anymore,but he has a GT 220,he can get a HD 5500 in 2 weeks..
Lmao,should i wait or just get the gt 220?

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
I came in a bit later into this thread but here's what I can tell you:

An HD 5550/5570 would be about twice as powerful as a GT 220.

A GT 220 would run anything at 1024x768 just fine, most likely.

But if you're spending money, I would get the GT 240, GTS 450 or GTX 460.

G

Well,i thought about the GTS 250 which would be really enough for me,but my power supply just sucks..
Anyways,i'm just gonna wait for the HD 5500 for now,and i'll tell you guys how it performs.Thanks for everything guys and you can feel free to lock or leave this topic as it is,because i'm planing to make a review of the card.