Scared to buy motherboard due to bad reviews

A very good question.

Hang around for long enough and you will learn to read newegg user reviews carefully, when you bother at all.

For instance, I see one fellow there that says his sound cut out. Fine, but why should we assume that's the fault of the board? Is he using a quality PSU? Does he have a proper ground? Did he stress the board while putting it into the case? Did he improperly place the standoffs so that the sound was shorted out? Did he plug something into the port that he shouldn't have?

You don't know what he did, so how can you say if his complaint is legitimate?

Motherboards are the scapegoats for the novice builders. It's way easier to blame the board than it is to do the work of finding the actual problem.

Coastaltuba

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
That's what I keep thinking. Can you really hold validity to any reviews? I mean, just because someone shoots his tech level to max doesn't mean he knows what he is talking about right?

Actually, I used that exact board for a new build for a family member about 4 months back. It went well... I used an Athlon II X4, some G.skill RAM, and a CM Gladiator case. I think the PSU was a Seasonic S12II 520 I got on sale.

You do understand that it's not a good crossfire board though, right? The second slot only runs at 4x.

I have used an MSI 880G board in three identical builds lately also... one machine will not fully sleep, which may or may not be the board. Works fine, system sleeps but not the PSU.

Coastaltuba

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
I'm not that interested in crossfire, because I only do casual gaming (i run the newest games, but not at the level that most people like).

I don't think the sleeping will be a problem, as I completely shut down my computer every night.

I'm not going to get a GPU yet, just in case I don't have the money to get a decent one, and the onboard graphics will suit me fine for the meantime.

Coastaltuba

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
Could anybody recommend me a good AMD motherboard?

It needs onboard HD 4250 graphics, 4 memory slots, and HDMI output.

I have found alot of them, but I don't know if I should go over $70 for one?

NotANerd

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
If you're going to buy an AMD board today, get one with socket AM3+. That way, you at least have the option later of an upgrade to Bulldozer.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131767 would probably be a decent choice. It has no reviews yet, but I would not worry about that. NeweggTV and Youtube both have some good video rundowns of the newest Asus boards (typically done by, or involving the same guy, a "JJ" from Asus).

grody

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
I find that most reviews on Newegg are people who either like it or they are complaining cause it was DOA. And most of those DOAs are probably people that static shocked the **** out of it.