Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Corsair GS800 or Antec True Power 750w?

Last response: in Components
September 26, 2011 7:59:35 PM

I bought on OCZ Modxstream pro 700w and after looking at graphics cards and power consumption, I've decided to return it and get a stronger power supply to handle sli or crossfire when the 7xxx series drops. I've finally, after MUCH searching, gotten it down to a Corsair Gamer Series GS800: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml... or the Antec True Power 750w: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml... and the modular part of the antec is attractive, but so is the extra 50w and more pcie connectors of the corsair. Which should I choose?
September 26, 2011 8:08:07 PM

I prefer the Antec for modular set up, and all in all the Corsair is only pulling a combined 780w on a single rail. Not knocking single rails but I have always preferred dual.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
September 26, 2011 9:15:06 PM

Nope. All coolermaster PSU's other than their silent pro m line is utter crap and mediocre. Avoid them at all costs.

To answer your question...

I always recommend Seasonic, XFX, Antec, and Corsair units because they have high quality parts and have units that are consistently rated to do what they're advertised and won't blow up in your face like cheap psu's.

Between the Antec TP and GS800, I'd take the TP. The New GS and CX lines leave much to be desired to be honest... (I highly favor the TX V2/ HX/ AX lines but thats bcuz i have a TX 750...)
m
l
September 26, 2011 11:42:04 PM

That CM psu is from their Silent Pro M line.. lol
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 27, 2011 12:23:13 AM

It's an alright PSU but i'd take Antec and Corsair over it tbh.
m
l
September 27, 2011 12:34:07 AM

Is the cooler master reliable though? I don't want to buy it just to have it burn out in a month. I'm on a pretty tight budget so if the cm is reliable I'll probably go with that.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 27, 2011 12:35:52 AM

"reliable?" As in won't blow up in your face when you put it under load. Sure! But quality is where it's lacking. If it was only a ten dollar difference between this and the Tp750, i'd grab the antec. But if this is at least 20 cheaper than either and you're on a budget then go ahead but I won't guarantee anything considering it is a cooler "master" unit....
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
September 27, 2011 12:46:37 AM

As far as PSUs are concerned, be informed. Before you buy any PSU read accurate, objective PSU reviews at reputable sites such as www.jonnyguru.com or www.hardwaresecrets.com on the EXACT model PSU that you are interested in as some brands have good and poor quality PSUs.

You can also get an accurate rating of how much PSU power is required for your current or future system at the PSU calculator link below. Once you know the total PSU watts required then you need to confirm that the 12v rail has enough amps. to support your Vid card(s) and the rest of the PC system.

There are several websites that show the Vid card power consumption in watts. Divide the watts by 12 to determine the amps. required on the 12v rail(s). Add 15 amps for the rest of the PC on the 12v rail and you now know the Minimum total 12v rail amps required under full load. It's best to have at least 5-10 amps. reserve on the 12v rail available under full load so the PSU is not loaded to 100%.

It's also worth noting that people often misunderstand the 80% power rating. This is a rating of the PSU's energy efficiency not it's output. 80% plus PSUs use less grid power to produce the same PC power. If it's 80% Bronze, Silver or Gold the cost savings on electricity is pretty small between Bronze, Silver and Gold unless you are paying very high rates for electricity so any 80% rated quality PSU is fine even if not Gold. For those who leave their PC on 24/7 a quality 80% PSU is a good investment.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-560-ti-sli-re...

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_5...

September 27, 2011 1:07:18 AM

Thanks! The cm is almost $40 cheaper but I'll look on the sites for info on each of them before I get anything. Thanks for the links and info everyone!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 27, 2011 1:36:58 AM

the antec is a newer better design and has all of its wattage available on the 12v rail where it is needed for high end gpu's.
m
l
September 27, 2011 1:55:16 AM

Yeah I saw that the corsair and the antec had almost the same wattage on the 12v even with the corsair being 50w higher overall
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 27, 2011 2:52:38 AM

i own both a corsair gamer series and antec true power. the corsair has the better fan and will make less noise, particularly if you install the PSU fan side down on the bottom. i found the cables on the corsair easier for routing being a tad bit longer and more flexible.

I also don't consider the antec to be a modular PSU, many of its cables are hard wired (including two CPU power cables) and in most multi- HDD set ups, you end up using the same amount of cables.

Both have been reviewed well but the antec leads in over all better reviews and does offer bronze efficiency to the corsair's 80+.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 27, 2011 11:08:38 AM

"I also don't consider the antec to be a modular PSU, many of its cables are hard wired (including two CPU power cables) and in most multi- HDD set ups, you end up using the same amount of cables." your right, its not modular, its semi-modular. There isnt a "modular" PSU out that is 100% fully modular that im aware of. They leave the cables they assume your going to need permanently attached. Its not like the motherboard connector is optional, it is necessary, so they hard wire them. But its great not to have rediculous amounts of cables in your case, even if you have room to tuck them away.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 27, 2011 11:21:13 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
"I also don't consider the antec to be a modular PSU, many of its cables are hard wired (including two CPU power cables) and in most multi- HDD set ups, you end up using the same amount of cables." your right, its not modular, its semi-modular. There isnt a "modular" PSU out that is 100% fully modular that im aware of. They leave the cables they assume your going to need permanently attached. Its not like the motherboard connector is optional, it is necessary, so they hard wire them. But its great not to have rediculous amounts of cables in your case, even if you have room to tuck them away.

true but in my set up with the antec true power i have

1 - 24-pin hard wired
2 - 8-pin hard wired
3 - 4-pin hard wired
4 - 6+2 PCI-E hard wired
5 - 3 x SATA - hard wired
6 - 3x molex - modular
7 - 6pin PCI-E modular
8 - 3 x SATA - modular

with my corsair gamer series all the cables are hard wired

1 - 24-pin
2 - 4+4 cpu power
3 - 6+2 PCI-E
4 - 6+2 PCI-E
5 - SATA line
6 - SATA line
7 - molex line + floppy
8 - molex line + floppy

so I end up having 8 cables no matter what. now If I only had 1-2 HDD and my video card only used one power cable then I could drop 1-2 cables.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 29, 2011 9:48:34 PM

beenthere said:
As far as PSUs are concerned, be informed. Before you buy any PSU read accurate, objective PSU reviews at reputable sites such as www.jonnyguru.com or www.hardwaresecrets.com on the EXACT model PSU that you are interested in as some brands have good and poor quality PSUs.

Excellent advice IMO. Jon, Jeremy, and Gabe really know their stuff and have solid equipment. Also, Paul @ [H]OCP is on par with these guys. And, they are impartial and call it like it is.
m
l
October 3, 2011 2:30:34 AM

I got the gs800 and it's working great :)  looks good, quiet, and easily suits my needs. Thanks for the help!
m
l
October 3, 2011 2:30:55 AM

Best answer selected by ras49.
m
l
!