Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Can you use a manufacture motherboard for a custom build

Last response: in Motherboards
June 18, 2012 1:51:16 PM

So, I plan on extremely upgrading my HP Pc, and i was planning on upgrading my Gpu mainly, but i needed a better power supply due to many manufactures mostly use 300W, and the main question here really is there any differences between a pre-built computers motherboard and one intended for pc building, like maybe mine is missing some things like fan slots on the board, that many you buy have.So far I ordered a case and a Psu, haven't arrived yet, however worst case ill just keep them till i get a new motherboard. Thanks in Advance. :) 

Best solution

a c 435 V Motherboard
a b α HP
June 18, 2012 1:59:14 PM

Yes, but if you have an hp windows installation, it won't run on any non hp board, due to a small bios file that id's the board as genuine hp. You'll need a new windows coa if you don't already have it. I recommend antec, corsair, or ocz for the power supply. The size depends on your video card
June 18, 2012 2:12:41 PM

o1die said:
Yes, but if you have an hp windows installation, it won't run on any non hp board, due to a small bios file that id's the board as genuine hp. You'll need a new windows coa if you don't already have it. I recommend antec, corsair, or ocz for the power supply. The size depends on your video card

So currently if I do not change the board it will be fine right, also any idea on how to figure out if i have an hp windows installation?

I plan to get a 6870 then crossfire eventually, I ordered a Cooler Master 700W
Score
Related resources
June 18, 2012 2:50:47 PM

Best answer selected by xAsylum.
Score
a c 435 V Motherboard
a b α HP
June 18, 2012 3:26:55 PM

If the hp board is micro atx, it will fit in your new case; if you use the same hardrive and motherboard, then your system files will continue to work fine.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b α HP
June 19, 2012 1:11:13 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!