Can you use a manufacture motherboard for a custom build

Status
Not open for further replies.

xasylum

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
So, I plan on extremely upgrading my HP Pc, and i was planning on upgrading my Gpu mainly, but i needed a better power supply due to many manufactures mostly use 300W, and the main question here really is there any differences between a pre-built computers motherboard and one intended for pc building, like maybe mine is missing some things like fan slots on the board, that many you buy have.So far I ordered a case and a Psu, haven't arrived yet, however worst case ill just keep them till i get a new motherboard. Thanks in Advance. :)

Solution
Yes, but if you have an hp windows installation, it won't run on any non hp board, due to a small bios file that id's the board as genuine hp. You'll need a new windows coa if you don't already have it. I recommend antec, corsair, or ocz for the power supply. The size depends on your video card
Yes, but if you have an hp windows installation, it won't run on any non hp board, due to a small bios file that id's the board as genuine hp. You'll need a new windows coa if you don't already have it. I recommend antec, corsair, or ocz for the power supply. The size depends on your video card

Solution

xasylum

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012

So currently if I do not change the board it will be fine right, also any idea on how to figure out if i have an hp windows installation?

I plan to get a 6870 then crossfire eventually, I ordered a Cooler Master 700W

Status
Not open for further replies.