Sign in with
Your question

Crippled Performance

Last response: in Systems
July 1, 2011 4:08:25 AM

Hello everyone, fellow tech enthusiasts.

I have a problem with a custom rig of mine that has come up very recently that I just am not able to fix yet: slowed down performance that it is very difficult to do much of anything on the desktop anymore. I have built this rig myself about almost one year ago, the anniversary fast approaching this July, and for about a week now I have been dealing with this performance and I have done all that I could to try to regain its better performance before.

I thought it was a software issue, perhaps a virus (although I doubted it as Microsoft Security Essentials has been more than adequate at protecting my Win7 Ultimate setup), so I had just reinstalled Windows 7 and has been settled down completed with recent updates, zero bloatware, and just the few essential programs that I need. I had even gotten TuneUp Utilities to do some cleaning and tuning on the system, but it is still somewhat sluggish and at times freezes and programs/folders wouldn't respond (..."Not Responding" error) and ultimately just doesn't feel like it should as a fresh OS should feel.

Sounds like the symptoms of a problem you've encountered/heard of before? I would really appreciate some much need help/advice on what I should do here. I will provide some specs of my rig soon.

PS: I live in Southern California and lately, the temperature has been rising bit by bit especially around these parts, and so I can't imagine that doing any good on my system, but don't really have much I can do about it. I will also post pics later of CPU-Z and HW Monitor so you guys can take a peek at my system at work in these conditions.

~edit~

Hey guys, so here are some specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 Rana 3.0GHz Triple Core
Motherboard: MSI 870A-G54 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
Video: Radeon HD 5770 1GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal

NOTE: I have dual-booted Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal because of the sluggish performance of Windows 7 and everything seems to be working fine and smooth there, I'm not entirely sure if it's just the OS or something, but like I said, I have reinstalled Windows 7 already and have done some tuning up.

~edit #2~

Added CPU-Z and HW Monitor screen captures below.

More about : crippled performance

July 1, 2011 4:11:51 AM

Specs would be helpful.
July 1, 2011 4:14:56 AM

Sounds like HDD corruption. Make sure your HDD is your first SATA device.
Related resources
July 1, 2011 6:09:49 AM

Hey guys, so here are some specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 Rana 3.0GHz Triple Core
Motherboard: MSI 870A-G54 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
Video: Radeon HD 5770 1GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal

If you guys need anything else, please let me know.

@browsing: I believe the HDD is already the first SATA device on there.

NOTE: I have dual-booted Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal because of the sluggish performance of Windows 7 and everything seems to be working fine and smooth there, I'm not entirely sure if it's just the OS or something, but like I said, I have reinstalled Windows 7 already and have done some tuning up.
July 1, 2011 6:40:05 AM

Here are some screen captures of CPU-Z showing the CPU and Memory, as well as HW Monitor showing some temps and such.

NOTE: Room temperature at the time of the screen captures is about 80 *F, at 11:40 PM.

Again, I would really appreciate any feedback that would improve my computer's performance in any way, thank you. :) 

~edit~

Here is a screen capture of HW Monitor during the day, about 1 o'clock in the afternoon, room temperature is about 85 *F
July 1, 2011 6:16:09 PM

your cpu is running pretty hot? is that on idle?

try running CCleaner: Crossover Games

and Smart Defrag 2: http://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.html

also, dont listen to anything browsingtheworld says, he is a moron.
July 1, 2011 7:07:20 PM

r3xx3r said:
your cpu is running pretty hot? is that on idle?

try running CCleaner: Crossover Games

and Smart Defrag 2: http://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.html

also, dont listen to anything browsingtheworld says, he is a moron.

Hey r3xx3r, thanks for the input.

Yeah, those temperatures are during idle, not after gaming, video playing/editing or anything like that, so that's a little concerning how high those temperatures can get, especially when those temperatures are during the night. I'll take another screen capture again at the middle of the day to get a good look at the highs of the temperatures.

~edit~

Added the updated screen capture above r3xx3r, I'd appreciate it if you could take a look.
Currently running Smart Defrag at the moment
!