Solved

What graphics card should i get?

Whats the best graphics card i can get that wont bottleneck an AMD athlon II x2 250 regor overclocked to 3.75 Ghz?
55 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about what graphics card
  1. We really need a budget line from you, how much are you willing to spend on it? What power supply do you have ? What is your target monitor resolution (1680x1050 for exp.) ?
  2. I'd suggest a 6850.
  3. I would also suggest a hd6850 with what you told us, but we will need more specs. PSU, budget, res. what games? Some games like Nv, some AMD.
  4. HostileDonut said:
    I would also suggest a hd6850 with what you told us, but we will need more specs. PSU, budget, res. what games? Some games like Nv, some AMD.

I have a corsair cx500 PSU for the price $200 or less, preferably under $175. My max monitor resolution is 1600 X 900 60 Hz and I'll be playing Minecraft, Crysis 2, Bulletstorm, basically the newer games. and ill be doing Let's Plays using fraps if that matters.
  5. Best answer
    demo320 said:
    I have a corsair cx500 PSU for the price $200 or less, preferably under $175. My max monitor resolution is 1600 X 900 60 Hz and I'll be playing Minecraft, Crysis 2, Bulletstorm, basically the newer games. and ill be doing Let's Plays using fraps if that matters.

Yeah, I would do a hd6850. I own one myself and love it. It's a great GPU. If you like Nvidia, get a GTX 460 1gb NON SE version.
  6. HostileDonut said:
    Yeah, I would do a hd6850. I own one myself and love it. It's a great GPU. If you like Nvidia, get a GTX 460 1gb NON SE version.

Whhat HD 6850 would you recomend i looked at some on newegg and the reviews indicate alot of lemons :). And also would one fit in a cooler master elite 430? Thanks for the help!!
  7. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121419&cm_re=hd6850-_-14-121-419-_-Product Good product, and it should fir in a mid tower case. If you are worried, get an MSI Cyclone hd6850.
  8. HostileDonut said:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121419&cm_re=hd6850-_-14-121-419-_-Product Good product, and it should fir in a mid tower case. If you are worried, get an MSI Cyclone hd6850.

Thank you so much!! What games do you play and how well does it run them if you don't mind me asking?
  9. oh and i was asking cuz the way i have my cables there all like ziptied in one main braid and there only about a 3.25" space between the cables and the PCI-E slot.
  10. I play games like COD: BO with an average of 60FPS, BF:BC2 with 60FPS, SC2 with 80FPS, and I think that is it. OH!!! I get 290FPS in Minecraft! :D I play on a 1280x1024 monitor though, but my AMD Athlon II X3 440 @ 3.3Ghz is a small bottleneck to the card too. I also run 4gb 880Mhz RAM.
  11. HostileDonut said:
    I play games like COD: BO with an average of 60FPS, BF:BC2 with 60FPS, SC2 with 80FPS, and I think that is it. OH!!! I get 290FPS in Minecraft! :D I play on a 1280x1024 monitor though, but my AMD Athlon II X3 440 @ 3.3Ghz is a small bottleneck to the card too. I also run 4gb 880Mhz RAM.

NICE!!!!!!!! and do you think i would have to move all those cables or would it be fine?
  12. demo320 said:
    NICE!!!!!!!! and do you think i would have to move all those cables or would it be fine?

I didn't really get what you mean't with the cables. The ASUS hd6850 is 10.24 inches long, and the MSI hd6850 is 8.54 inches long if that answers your question.
  13. HostileDonut said:
    I didn't really get what you mean't with the cables. The ASUS hd6850 is 10.24 inches long, and the MSI hd6850 is 8.54 inches long if that answers your question.

no i meant the height of it. it says almost 5 inches and theres only like 3.25" space between the cables and the slot. Oh, and are yuo running windows 7?
  14. Easy fix! Move the cables. Yes, I do run Win. 7 Pro 64-bit. Why?
  15. HostileDonut said:
    Easy fix! Move the cables. Yes, I do run Win. 7 Pro 64-bit. Why?

Um, thats the problem i don' have anywhere to move them to :/ and i was reading stuff about the 6850 and alot of people had issues with it and windows 7 but i think they may have fixed it was a few months old.
  16. demo320 said:
    Um, thats the problem i don' have anywhere to move them to :/ and i was reading stuff about the 6850 and alot of people had issues with it and windows 7 but i think they may have fixed it was a few months old.

Are you sure it wasn't problems with XP? I had issues with Xp, but Win. 7 runs it fine! It was built for Win. 7. Can you send me some pictures of the case? I am pretty sure you could put them SOMEWHERE!
  17. HostileDonut said:
    Are you sure it wasn't problems with XP? I had issues with Xp, but Win. 7 runs it fine! It was built for Win. 7. Can you send me some pictures of the case? I am pretty sure you could put them SOMEWHERE!

how do i put pics on the forum? lol
  18. Best answer selected by demo320.
  19. demo320 said:
    how do i put pics on the forum? lol

I think you will need a photbucket account, but I am not sure. You could E-mail them to me too. Just move the cables somewhere. You'll find someplace! ;)
  20. HostileDonut said:
    I think you will need a photbucket account, but I am not sure. You could E-mail them to me too. Just move the cables somewhere. You'll find someplace! ;)

i guess youll right there has to be somewhere i can put em.......... ill never get a case with no cable management again. :P
  21. demo320 said:
    i guess youll right there has to be somewhere i can put em.......... ill never get a case with no cable management again. :P

Haha... Yeah.... Not a good idea to get one without it.
  22. HostileDonut said:
    Haha... Yeah.... Not a good idea to get one without it.

it was my first build though. and there in one big clump sortof and theres not really anywhere i can put a big clump lol ill just send you a picture so you can see what im dealing with here
  23. demo320 said:
    it was my first build though. and there in one big clump sortof and theres not really anywhere i can put a big clump lol ill just send you a picture so you can see what im dealing with herehttp://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb364/demo320/

The picture is broken...
  24. HostileDonut said:
    The picture is broken...

I clicked the link and it came up fine
  25. demo320 said:
    I clicked the link and it came up fine

There is no link for me.
  26. well here ill just explain it. i have EVERYTHING but the molex connectors and the pci-e connectors in one bundle right in the middle and the molex and pci-e connector are in a bundle and i tucked them in a drive bay at the bottom of the case. and i big bundle of cables like that inst very flexible lol.
  27. demo320 said:
    well here ill just explain it. i have EVERYTHING but the molex connectors and the pci-e connectors in one bundle right in the middle and the molex and pci-e connector are in a bundle and i tucked them in a drive bay at the bottom of the case. and i big bundle of cables like that inst very flexible lol.

So, you moved them? If so, get the card! It's great!
  28. HostileDonut said:
    So, you moved them? If so, get the card! It's great!

Thats how they were but the big clump and the PCI-E slot there only like 3 inches of space and the dimesions say more like 5 inches for the card :( coiuld i just put the card there and rest the cables ontop of it? or is that not a good idea?
  29. demo320 said:
    Thats how they were but the big clump and the PCI-E slot there only like 3 inches of space and the dimesions say more like 5 inches for the card :( coiuld i just put the card there and rest the cables ontop of it? or is that not a good idea?

Hmmmm. I would just move the cables as far as possible. Unless you had a card that had a full shroud, like my SAPPHIRE Toxic edition card.
  30. HostileDonut said:
    Hmmmm. I would just move the cables as far as possible. Unless you had a card that had a full shroud, like my SAPPHIRE Toxic edition card.

They don't have alot of slack in their movement if that makes sense but if i did do that it wouldnt break the card or anything right? i plan on getting the MSI cyclone one.
  31. demo320 said:
    They don't have alot of slack in their movement if that makes sense but if i did do that it wouldnt break the card or anything right? i plan on getting the MSI cyclone one.

It shouldn't but if you get the cords in the fan, it could overheat.
  32. I think I could stick the mobo power cable in a cd drive bay. and coil some of the other stuff closer to the front of the case and tuck them somewhere.......... anyway Thanks alot for your help :) been nice talking to you!
  33. Hey do you watch Let's Plays.......
  34. demo320 said:
    I think I could stick the mobo power cable in a cd drive bay. and coil some of the other stuff closer to the front of the case and tuck them somewhere.......... anyway Thanks alot for your help :) been nice talking to you!

Yeah! No problem. Hey, putting them in places like that is a GREAT idea. My case sucks too, but that is what I did. Anyway, I hope it all works for you! Have a nice night. ;)
  35. demo320 said:
    Hey do you watch Let's Plays.......

Ummm, is that a show? I has never heard of it, why?
  36. No Its where someone plays a game and records the gameplay and there commentary live. I know that's not a very good explanation. There pretty entertaining, I actually do em and put them on youtube.... and um i was wondering maybe if you wanted to, watch them and give some feedback? you don't have to but it would be really apreciated.
  37. demo320 said:
    No Its where someone plays a game and records the gameplay and there commentary live. I know that's not a very good explanation. There pretty entertaining, I actually do em and put them on youtube.... and um i was wondering maybe if you wanted to, watch them and give some feedback? you don't have to but it would be really apreciated.

Sure, what do I look up?
  38. HostileDonut said:
    Sure, what do I look up?

search D3M0320 in youtube and youll find it :) My newer videos are better in my opinion. Do you have an account on youtube?
  39. demo320 said:
    search D3M0320 in youtube and youll find it :) My newer videos are better in my opinion. Do you have an account on youtube?

Yup, it's HostileDonut. I will check 'em out.
  40. HostileDonut said:
    Yup, it's HostileDonut. I will check 'em out.

Cool Thanks, I'm just kinda starting out. Thats Actually why im wanting a new graphics card :P so my games dont lag as much when i try to record my videos. And to play the newer games I get 15 - 17 FPS on crysis 2 lol.
  41. Hey I gotta go to bed. Talk to you tommorow.
  42. Okay, bye.
  43. demo320 said:
    No Its where someone plays a game and records the gameplay and there commentary live. I know that's not a very good explanation. There pretty entertaining, I actually do em and put them on youtube.... and um i was wondering maybe if you wanted to, watch them and give some feedback? you don't have to but it would be really apreciated.

What are they about? Are they tutorials? I didn't really get the idea around it. Fill me in please. ;)
  44. HostileDonut said:
    What are they about? Are they tutorials? I didn't really get the idea around it. Fill me in please. ;)

Ok, so say i was doing one on minecraft. I would play and use fraps to record the gameplay and a mic to record me talking while i play. Thats Pretty much what it is there really fun to do though im hoping to do one on portal 2 im gunna try and get it today
  45. demo320 said:
    Ok, so say i was doing one on minecraft. I would play and use fraps to record the gameplay and a mic to record me talking while i play. Thats Pretty much what it is there really fun to do though im hoping to do one on portal 2 im gunna try and get it today

Okay, send me a link to the portal one and I'll watch it. I would suggest you do tutorials, or something like that, it think it would get more views. ;)
  46. HostileDonut said:
    Okay, send me a link to the portal one and I'll watch it. I would suggest you do tutorials, or something like that, it think it would get more views. ;)

alright here it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17EP9gXEkr8 And ive got alot of request for a few minecraft tutorials so i plan on doing a couple.
  47. Looks good. Do you play SC2?????? I would love to play sometime.
  48. So you liked them? And i don't play but I want to try it everybody that's played it loves it.
  49. demo320 said:
    So you liked them? And i don't play but I want to try it everybody that's played it loves it.

Well, for minecraft, I would do tutorials, and for Portal, I would do walk-throughs.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Bottleneck AMD Graphics Product