How to Upgrade Motherboard and Install new version of Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin_63

Honorable
May 17, 2012
I have an OEM version of Windows 7, and I am installing a new motherboard, so I need to reinstall a new version with a new product key. My question is, how do you install Windows when there is already a version of it on my existing hard drive? Do I just boot up with the CD as opposed to the hard drive? And then what happens with the old version? Thanks in advance!

Solution
Depending on how vast the difference is in the MOBO hardware, you may be able to plug and chug and just update drivers. You can also install over top the existing same OS install once all put together. Saves time re-installing apps but you will have to re-patch the OS. Both may not work in which you will need to wipe the drive and install fresh. Whatever you do BACKUP your data first.

price_th

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Depending on how vast the difference is in the MOBO hardware, you may be able to plug and chug and just update drivers. You can also install over top the existing same OS install once all put together. Saves time re-installing apps but you will have to re-patch the OS. Both may not work in which you will need to wipe the drive and install fresh. Whatever you do BACKUP your data first.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.