Slow internet on some PCs but not others

MaritzaG69

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
I'm having a very strange problem. We just recently attempted a conversion to the "cloud" for all of our office workstations and servers. We very quickly realized when we went live that we were having issues with bandwidth. I ran probably hundreds of speedtests on all of the machines and they were all getting speeds of 16/3.8 on average we pay for 50/5 so I called my ISP immediately and they took a while but finally escalated the issue enough to get it resolved....sort of. I now have 2 machines in my office that are able to connect at the 50/5 speeds but the 8 other computers are still getting the same 16/3.8. I am able to connect a laptop to a patch cable at my desk and get the full 50/5 so I know that it's not any of the equipment/hardware enroute to my desk. (we also tested at the modem, switch, firewall and were able to get the full 50/5) The 8 computers that are having problems are Win XP sp3 with an EVGA Nvidia nForce 680i SLI MB. (The two newer computers that are not having issues are Win Vista)
I think my network card is the problem but I've downloaded the latest drivers and even updated the BIOS and still no change. I've tweaked the setting in the Nvidia Control Panel but nothing has changed. I have tried different settings but if I set the speed to anything but autonegotiate it stops working altogether.I'm tweaking them blindly because I'm not sure which if any setting is the problem.
I am up to date on Windows updates.
I have renewed my ip address. (several times)
I have changed out the cable to Cat6.
I have manually set the MTU to 1500.
This is driving me crazy and keeping us from being able to complete our conversion. I would appreciate any input you may have as to what could possibly be the problem. Thanks in advance for your help.

price_th

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Did your ISP tell you what they did to correct the issue that helped some of your systems. The OS should not affect the speed tests. You may want to post your network adapter settings information for TCP/IP for more help.

MaritzaG69

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012

Thanks for your response.
They reset something at the hub, but I'm not sure what it was. I can plug my home laptop into any data port in the office and I have no problem getting the 50/5 speed but these 8 workstations can't get any better than 17/4.
They all have an EVGA Nvidia nForce 680i SLI 3xPCIe 16x DDR2 800 to 1200 - 2x1Gb Ethernet-6xSATA3Gb-RAID 0/1/5-Firewire1394-8CH Digital Audio model #122-CK-NF68
Priority & VLAN Disabled
Jumbo Packet - 9014 bytes
IP checksum Offload - RX & TX enabled
TCP checksum Offload (IPv4) - RX & TX enabled
Large Send Offload v1 (IPv4) - Enabled
UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4) - RX & TX enabled
Speed/duplex settings - Auto Negotiation
Flow Control - Disabled
Interrupt Moderation - enabled
Low power state link speed - disabled
Receive Side Scaling - Disabled
Wake on Magic Packet - Disabled