Nintendo's MP3 / MPEG4 Player for GBA SP

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

http://www.totalvideogames.com/pages/articles/index.php?game_id=&article_id=6929

Nintendo Introduce Play-Wan

15/12/2004
By: Chris Leyton

MP3/MPEG4 player heading to the GameBoy Advance SP...

Presumably as a means to reflect some of the attention away from the
multi-media functions of the Sony PSP, Nintendo Japan today confirmed plans
to release an MP3/MPEG4 player for the GameBoy Advance SP.

Dubbed the "Play-Yan", the piggy-back peripheral slots into the cartridge
slot of the GameBoy Advance SP and allows SD-Cards, featuring movies and
music, to be slotted into the side. SD-Cards capable of storing up to 1GB
retail for around £65, which should allow for MPEG-4 feature-length movies
to fit easily onto the card, or around 300 MP3 songs.

The Play-Yan is set for release across Japan during February 2005 and will
retail for 5,000 yen (£25); no word yet as to when those outside of Japan
can expect to get the hands on this little gem, whilst compatibility with
the Nintendo DS is believed to feature, although this has yet to be
officially confirmed.

__

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/573/573438p1.html

Nintendo Unveils MP3/MPEG4 Player For GBA
New multimedia capabilities on a tiny cartridge.

December 15, 2004 - Hot on the heels of the PSP's Japanese launch, Nintendo
has announced a device that adds limited multimedia capabilities to the Game
Boy Advance SP. Set for release in Japan in February of 2005 is the
tentatively named "Play-chan," an MP3 and MPEG-4 compatible playback device
that accepts SD cards.

Play-chan looks like a large Game Boy Advance cartridge. It has a slot that
accepts SD cards and includes a built-in Broadcom VC01PXX-ES2 hardware
decoder. The presence of the hardware decoder sets this apart from similar
movie devices that have appeared for the GBA, all of which have made use of
the GBA hardware for playback at the expense of video quality. Play-chan
also has its own audio-out port, allowing users to attach headphones
directly to the unit.
Movie playback supports ASF MPEG-4 files at up to CIF (352x288) resolutions.
The maximum data rate is 1.5 Megabits per second. Sound drops to single
channel when viewing movies. These specs may not seem too high, but Nintendo
promises that you'll be able to store uup to two hours worth of footage to a
256 Megabyte SD card.

The product is also compatible with a few multimedia products. SD-Video
support is included, allowing users to grab video off their
Matsushita/Panasonic brand digital video recorders (models DMR-E500H,
DMR-E200H and DMR-E100H). When used in this way, the product is not
compatible with extra fine mode (320x240 resolution at 30 frames per
second). Also, videos created on Fujitsu and Hiatchi computers that have
shipped pre-installed with Matsushita-brand Media Stage software can also be
played back on the player.

Movies can be placed in subfolders on the SD card, with thumbnail images
appearing on screen for quick access. The software interface lets you use
the D-pad for forward, reverse and skipping through chapters, with L and R
used to adjust brightness.

MP3 playback is, similar to movie playback, compatible with folders,
although Nintendo hasn't commented on playlist compatibility. MP3 files can
use VBR (variable bit rate) encoding with bitrates between 32 and 320
kilobits per second supported. As you listen to music, the screen displays
artist name and song information from the MPE3's ID3 tag. Specific interface
support hasn't been finalized by Nintendo just yet, although you'll at the
very least be able to skip forward and back through your music.

Battery life seems to take somewhat of a hit depending on how your use this
device. When viewing movies, the GBASP lasts four hours. Music playback
lasts for fifteen hours if the screen backlight is off and eight hours if
it's on.

Although Play-chan was announced by Nintendo as supporting the Game Boy
Advance, it's also compatible with the DS. Only one screen is used for
display, though. The standard Game Boy Advance is not compatible with the
product.

It's unclear just how far Nintendo intends to take Play-chan in the market.
While pricing is expected to be in the 5,000 yen range, distribution will
initially be limited to Nintendo's Online sales site, with no current plans
for retail distribution. The Japan-based few who are interested in the
product will want to make reservations at Nintendo Japan's site in
mid-January for shipment in mid February.

We expect to get a look at this product in the next few days, so stay tuned
to IGN Game Boy for an update shortly.

begin 666 spacer.gif
K1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P``
`
end

"Xenon" <xenonxbox2@xboxnext.com> wrote in message

> http://www.totalvideogames.com/pages/articles/index.php?game_id=&article_id=6929

rest deleted

Can anyone shed any light on what will be different between this new player
from Nintendo and the following which is out now (and looks a good price):

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=246&products_id=3983

I did spot the following from that link:

The main difference to the official Nintendo licensed am3 Advance Movie
Adapter is that you will be able to create your own content and play your
own videos. Furthermore the am3 Advance Movie Adapter works with Smart
Media, not with the cheaper Compact FlashT.

However I couldn't get the link above for the "am3" device to work so wasn't
sure if they were talking about the up and coming Nintendo player.

Andy

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:19:43 -0000
"Andrew Pick" <andrew.pick@NOSPAMPLEASEgwent.wales.nhs.uk> wrote:

>"Xenon" <xenonxbox2@xboxnext.com> wrote in message
>>
>> http://www.totalvideogames.com/pages/articles/index.php?game_id=&article_id=6929
>>
>rest deleted
>>

>Can anyone shed any light on what will be different between this new player
>from Nintendo and the following which is out now (and looks a good price):
>
>http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=246&products_id=3983
>
>I did spot the following from that link:
>

>The main difference to the official Nintendo licensed am3 Advance Movie
>Adapter is that you will be able to create your own content and play your
>own videos. Furthermore the am3 Advance Movie Adapter works with Smart
>Media, not with the cheaper Compact FlashT.
>
>However I couldn't get the link above for the "am3" device to work so wasn't
>sure if they were talking about the up and coming Nintendo player.
>
>Andy

The AM3 player is able to play special medium (SD like) and the content can not be erased.
You buy the player then you buy some movies (like 'detective conan').

The GBA Movie Player (I have got one) use Compact flash to store movies, audio files, ebooks and famicom games.
The video and audio files are converted into a special format that you have to create with a software available with the player.
The quality is not so good but it is enough for a GBA.

Check this video from Gamespot.com to have an idea of the device : http://image.lik-sang.com/content/gba-movie-player/GBA_Movie_Player_GameSpot.wmv

Sorry for my bad english
--
ZikZak

<zikzak@tele2.fr> wrote in message
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:19:43 -0000
> "Andrew Pick" <andrew.pick@NOSPAMPLEASEgwent.wales.nhs.uk> wrote:
>

>>"Xenon" <xenonxbox2@xboxnext.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> http://www.totalvideogames.com/pages/articles/index.php?game_id=&article_id=6929
>>>
>>rest deleted
>>>

>>Can anyone shed any light on what will be different between this new
>>player
>>from Nintendo and the following which is out now (and looks a good price):
>>
>>http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=246&products_id=3983
>>
>>I did spot the following from that link:
>>

>>The main difference to the official Nintendo licensed am3 Advance Movie
>>Adapter is that you will be able to create your own content and play your
>>own videos. Furthermore the am3 Advance Movie Adapter works with Smart
>>Media, not with the cheaper Compact FlashT.
>>
>>However I couldn't get the link above for the "am3" device to work so
>>wasn't
>>sure if they were talking about the up and coming Nintendo player.
>>
>>Andy
>
> The AM3 player is able to play special medium (SD like) and the content
> can not be erased.
> You buy the player then you buy some movies (like 'detective conan').
>
> The GBA Movie Player (I have got one) use Compact flash to store movies,
> audio files, ebooks and famicom games.
> The video and audio files are converted into a special format that you
> have to create with a software available with the player.
> The quality is not so good but it is enough for a GBA.
>
> Check this video from Gamespot.com to have an idea of the device :
> http://image.lik-sang.com/content/gba-movie-player/GBA_Movie_Player_GameSpot.wmv
>
> Sorry for my bad english
> --
> ZikZak

Thanks for the info and the link.

How good is the software? Is it able to convert most files very well and how
quick does it do the conversion?
Do you also have to convert everything or just the video files ie. do you
have to convert MP3 ?

No problem with your English - its almost certainly going to be better than
my French !!!

Andy