AT thru-hike, recommend a good camera

This summer I am going to Alaska and a year from now I am planning an AT
thru-hike. I have been looking at the Olympus Camedia C-5000 Zoom
Digital Camera but it has a rechargable battery. The problem with this
camera is that it does not use standard AA batteries so when I get to
town it will be a hassle to get recharged. What do yall recommend
taking into consideration weight and that it uses standard batteries?
23 answers Last reply
More about thru hike recommend good camera

    fog-dog wrote:
    > This summer I am going to Alaska and a year from now I am planning an
    AT
    > thru-hike. I have been looking at the Olympus Camedia C-5000 Zoom
    > Digital Camera but it has a rechargable battery.

    The C-5000 is not a good camera for Alaska. You really will want
    something with a longer zoom lens. I left my digital camera at home and
    took my film SLR (this was before I had a digital SLR). You want at
    least a 300mm zoom (35mm equivalent) in Alaska. If you expect to get
    any photos of wildlife, either on-land, or from a boat, forget about it
    with a camera that doesn't have a good zoom; you'll see little dots or
    blobs (dark or light, depending on the animal).

    If you want something with AA batteries, then look at the Sony
    Cyber-shot DSC-H1, but it won't be out until June 2005, and it uses the
    annoying Memory Sticks. Also look at the FinePix S5100, which is a good
    deal, and the Kodak EasyShare Z740, both of which use AA batteries. The
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 or FZ15 are good choices if you can live with
    a Li-Ion battery.

    With whatever you buy, you're going to be using rechargeable batteries
    that you'll need to recharge somehow. If you're hiking, the Li-Ion
    batteries could be a better solution because they don't self-discharge
    as much as NiMH, and because they are more dense, but OTOH the charger
    is larger than you can get away with for NiMH AA batteries. Also, there
    are plenty of solar chargers available for AA cells, but solar chargers
    for Li-Ion proprietary batteries are a kluge of a 12V solar panel and a
    12 volt charger.

    I can't imagine why you are considering the C-5000Z. There are plenty
    of far better compact cameras with similarly small zoom ranges on the
    market, many of which use AA batteries. The C-5000Z is quite an old
    camera, it lacks an AF illuminator, and has been panned in reviews as
    being noisy. If you go with a camera like this, get the Canon A95. They
    Stylus 410 and Stylus 500 are also not good choices, they both lack an
    AF illuminator.

    Use the search engine at:
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php

    Tick off AF Illuminator and Recent Model, and select AA batteries, 4-5
    megapixels, and over 10x zoom. You'll get three results.

    fog-dog wrote:
    > This summer I am going to Alaska and a year from now I am planning an AT
    > thru-hike. I have been looking at the Olympus Camedia C-5000 Zoom
    > Digital Camera but it has a rechargable battery. The problem with this
    > camera is that it does not use standard AA batteries so when I get to
    > town it will be a hassle to get recharged. What do yall recommend
    > taking into consideration weight and that it uses standard batteries?
    Now I have come across the Olympus Stylus 500 and 410, I think I am
    gonna go with one of them. They both have all the features I am looking
    for and a level of weatherproofness.

    Canon A95 beats everything in its class - no contest!

    Will

    Malevil wrote:
    > Canon A95 beats everything in its class - no contest!
    >
    > Will
    >
    > "fog-dog" <gtg270h@mail.gatech.edu> wrote in message
    >
    >>fog-dog wrote:
    >>
    >>>This summer I am going to Alaska and a year from now I am planning an AT
    >>>thru-hike. I have been looking at the Olympus Camedia C-5000 Zoom
    >>>Digital Camera but it has a rechargable battery. The problem with this
    >>>camera is that it does not use standard AA batteries so when I get to
    >>>town it will be a hassle to get recharged. What do yall recommend
    >>>taking into consideration weight and that it uses standard batteries?
    >>
    >>Now I have come across the Olympus Stylus 500 and 410, I think I am
    >>gonna go with one of them. They both have all the features I am looking
    >>for and a level of weatherproofness.

    This doesn't have any weatherproofness like the other 3 do.

    > This doesn't have any weatherproofness like the other 3 do.

    do you want to hike or scuba diving in Alaska ? :-))
    --
    cheers :-)) emski

    fog-dog wrote:
    > This summer I am going to Alaska and a year from now I am planning an AT
    > thru-hike. I have been looking at the Olympus Camedia C-5000 Zoom
    > Digital Camera but it has a rechargable battery. The problem with this
    > camera is that it does not use standard AA batteries so when I get to
    > town it will be a hassle to get recharged. What do yall recommend
    > taking into consideration weight and that it uses standard batteries?

    You might take a look at the Kodak DX6440, if you can find one in stock
    (it has been replaced by the DX7440). The 6440 still has AA batteries,
    and can use CRV3 disposables. It has a nice 4x zoom lens, takes great
    pictures, and is able to do some manual functions as well as having
    presets. I took about 450 pictures during an Alaskan cruise in May/June
    of last year. They are on Webshots. User ID is rphunter42. Take a look.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

    On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 18:34:59 -0500, fog-dog <gtg270h@mail.gatech.edu>
    wrote:

    >This summer I am going to Alaska and a year from now I am planning an AT
    >thru-hike. I have been looking at the Olympus Camedia C-5000 Zoom
    >Digital Camera but it has a rechargable battery. The problem with this
    >camera is that it does not use standard AA batteries so when I get to
    >town it will be a hassle to get recharged. What do yall recommend
    >taking into consideration weight and that it uses standard batteries?

    Batteries are only part of the problem.
    What are you going to do about storage?
    Get fresh memory cards in your mail drops?
    Send the "full" cards home? Carry a 40G
    iPod for storage?

    You might consider a nice lightweight
    35 mm film camera, maybe an Olympus
    Stylus or some such.

    I've used a Canon G2 on AT section hikes
    and weekend hikes. In 1990 I trekked
    about 850 miles of AT with a Ricoh SLR.
    (Chosen for its low weight.)

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com/Appalachian%20Trail0.html
    http://gallery.backcountry.net/at-vt-2002

    Fuji Finepix s602z.....discontinued now, but a blinder of a camera so look
    at ebay./...should get one for £150 ($270US?)

    canongirly wrote:
    > Fuji Finepix s602z.....discontinued now, but a blinder of a camera so look
    > at ebay./...should get one for £150 ($270US?)
    >
    > "fog-dog" <gtg270h@mail.gatech.edu> wrote in message
    >
    >>This summer I am going to Alaska and a year from now I am planning an AT
    >>thru-hike. I have been looking at the Olympus Camedia C-5000 Zoom Digital
    >>Camera but it has a rechargable battery. The problem with this camera is
    >>that it does not use standard AA batteries so when I get to town it will
    >>be a hassle to get recharged. What do yall recommend taking into
    >>consideration weight and that it uses standard batteries?

    Man this camera is hard to find.

    canongirly wrote:
    > Fuji Finepix s602z.....discontinued now, but a blinder of a camera so look
    > at ebay./...should get one for £150 ($270US?)
    >
    > "fog-dog" <gtg270h@mail.gatech.edu> wrote in message
    >
    >>This summer I am going to Alaska and a year from now I am planning an AT
    >>thru-hike. I have been looking at the Olympus Camedia C-5000 Zoom Digital
    >>Camera but it has a rechargable battery. The problem with this camera is
    >>that it does not use standard AA batteries so when I get to town it will
    >>be a hassle to get recharged. What do yall recommend taking into
    >>consideration weight and that it uses standard batteries?

    Found it on steve's digi cams, I think this is gonna way too much for
    being weight conscious on a hike.

    fog-dog wrote:

    > This summer I am going to Alaska and a year from now I am planning an AT
    > thru-hike. I have been looking at the Olympus Camedia C-5000 Zoom
    > Digital Camera but it has a rechargable battery.

    I'd be using an all mechanical film camera for something like this, but
    that's me.
    --

    Stacey

    rafe bustin wrote:

    > Batteries are only part of the problem.
    > What are you going to do about storage?
    > Get fresh memory cards in your mail drops?
    > Send the "full" cards home? Carry a 40G
    > iPod for storage?

    Exactly what I was thinking, with a film camera you could easily find film
    at the stores along the way and mail home the exposed ones. Even batteries
    are something I'd rather not deal with as you're likely to get into some
    cold climates where they might stop working etc.

    --

    Stacey

    emski wrote:
    >>This doesn't have any weatherproofness like the other 3 do.
    >

    > do you want to hike or scuba diving in Alaska ? :-))
    Hike, the summers there are rainy also.

    fog-dog wrote:
    > This summer I am going to Alaska and a year from now I am planning an AT
    > thru-hike. I have been looking at the Olympus Camedia C-5000 Zoom
    > Digital Camera but it has a rechargable battery. The problem with this
    > camera is that it does not use standard AA batteries so when I get to
    > town it will be a hassle to get recharged. What do yall recommend
    > taking into consideration weight and that it uses standard batteries?
    I am gonna go with the olympus stylus either 400, 410 or 500. They are
    lightweight and although it has a rechargable battery, I found out its
    not that big of a deal. Plus all three are weatherproof to an extent.

    fog-dog wrote:
    > emski wrote:
    >>> This doesn't have any weatherproofness like the other 3 do.
    >>

    >> do you want to hike or scuba diving in Alaska ? :-))
    > Hike, the summers there are rainy also.

    If weather-proofness is critical (and it might be the difference between
    something and nothing, after all), consider an "ultra-transportable"
    like the Canon S410 or S500; they will accept an underwater case that is
    good to 140 feet ( ! ), must fit very close to the camera and weigh
    proportionately little, compared to the return. The cameras use CF cards
    and proprietary batteries. If my experience with SterlingTek batteries
    is any indication, their replacements should give double the standard
    expected number of exposures. Such kit combined with moderation in flash
    and LCD use could meet your needs.

    --
    Frank ess

    fog-dog wrote:
    > This summer I am going to Alaska and a year from now I am planning an AT
    > thru-hike. I have been looking at the Olympus Camedia C-5000 Zoom
    > Digital Camera but it has a rechargable battery. The problem with this
    > camera is that it does not use standard AA batteries so when I get to
    > town it will be a hassle to get recharged. What do yall recommend
    > taking into consideration weight and that it uses standard batteries?

    I've thought about thru-hiking the AT, but it's just idle thought mostly.

    Everything I've read about thru hikers is that weight is everything. I'd
    go for a lightweight 2 or 3 mp camear that runs off AA batteries. I'd
    mail myself lithium AAs. A 3 mp camera with a few 256mb CF cards will
    take a ton of pictures. If you restrict your use of the LCD, you can
    shoot a lot of pics with the lithium batteries.

    Remember, it's not a photo expidition, it's a cross country hike. I'm
    thinking of something along the lines of one of those little nikon
    coolpix cameras. When I got my package of new batteries, I'd use up the
    old ones reviewing and editing the ones on the card.

    Bob

    > If weather-proofness is critical (and it might be the difference
    between
    > something and nothing, after all), consider an "ultra-transportable"
    > like the Canon S410 or S500; they will accept an underwater case that
    is
    > good to 140 feet ( ! ), must fit very close to the camera and weigh

    <snip>

    Good advice. These two cameras are also very inexpensive right now,
    with the S500 being available for around $300. Canon is apparently
    closing out the S410 and the S500.

    Still, for something like an AT hike, I'd go with an AA powered camera
    that takes Compact Flash (i.e. the A95), for the following reasons:

    1. You can buy a small, inexpensive, solar charger for AA batteries,
    but not for proprietary batteries.

    2. Large capacity CF cards are very cheap, especially the non-high
    speed ones.

    3. You can use an add-on telephoto lens if desired, something that
    would be very useful on his Alaska trip.

    4. It has essential features like an AF-Assist Lamp, that is missing
    from many of the low end cameras,

    5. There is a waterproof housing available. Personally I think this is
    overkill, unless planning to take photos underwater. Keep the camera in
    a small waterproof box when not in use.

    The new Canon A520, while it doesn't use Compact Flash, would be
    another excellent choice due to the available add-ons, which include a
    wide-angle lens, telephoto lens, close-up lens, waterproof case, and
    external flash. See:
    "http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_a510_a520-review/"

    The Olympus Stylus models cameras, that the original poster is
    considering, are very poor choices. The lack of an optical viewfinder
    on the 500 eliminates it immediately, and the lack of an AF assist lamp
    on any of them, also is not a good thing.

    bob wrote:

    > fog-dog wrote:
    >
    >> This summer I am going to Alaska and a year from now I am planning an
    >> AT thru-hike. I have been looking at the Olympus Camedia C-5000 Zoom
    >> Digital Camera but it has a rechargable battery. The problem with
    >> this camera is that it does not use standard AA batteries so when I
    >> get to town it will be a hassle to get recharged. What do yall
    >> recommend taking into consideration weight and that it uses standard
    >> batteries?
    >

    > I've thought about thru-hiking the AT, but it's just idle thought mostly.
    >
    > Everything I've read about thru hikers is that weight is everything.

    That's mostly true though it's odd how many
    hikers allow themselves a luxury or two.

    If you can be satisfied with 15 miles a day,
    weight isn't as critical.

    For those hoping to do more miles than that,
    better check into ultra-light hiking.

    The real speedsters are carrying no more
    than 20 lbs or so.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafeb wrote:

    > That's mostly true though it's odd how many
    > hikers allow themselves a luxury or two.
    >
    > If you can be satisfied with 15 miles a day,
    > weight isn't as critical.

    I can't imagine maintaing 15 miles a day through the mountains with a
    pack. The last time I did 15 miles it was a day hike on a coastal road
    with an elevation change of about 2 feet.

    According to my calculations, based on the info on
    www.appalachiantrail.org, the average thru hiker averages out 10 to 13
    miles a day (5 to 7 months).

    I'm sure some days are faster than others, too!

    Bob

    bob wrote:
    > rafeb wrote:
    >

    >> That's mostly true though it's odd how many
    >> hikers allow themselves a luxury or two.
    >>
    >> If you can be satisfied with 15 miles a day,
    >> weight isn't as critical.
    >

    > I can't imagine maintaing 15 miles a day through the mountains with a
    > pack. The last time I did 15 miles it was a day hike on a coastal road
    > with an elevation change of about 2 feet.
    >
    > According to my calculations, based on the info on
    > www.appalachiantrail.org, the average thru hiker averages out 10 to 13
    > miles a day (5 to 7 months).
    >
    > I'm sure some days are faster than others, too!

    Every hiker is different. Every day is different.
    Don't forget that even hikers want to take a day
    off from time to time. So if you take (say) one
    day off per week, and walk 15 miles on each of
    the other six days, your average is now down to
    under 13 miles per day.

    I was 37 years old when I did my "big" AT hike
    and averaged 11 miles per day overall. There
    was a speedster on the trail that year who was
    moving at almost three times that speed.

    I did a few 20-mile days.. and usually these
    were followed by a seriously sub-par day, milewise.

    On the AT you're hemmed in by the seasons.
    Most succesful thru-hikers (as you've noted)
    have to make at least 12 miles a day to cover
    the 2170 miles between mid-March and early
    October.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafeb wrote:

    > I was 37 years old when I did my "big" AT hike
    > and averaged 11 miles per day overall. There
    > was a speedster on the trail that year who was
    > moving at almost three times that speed.

    How far did you go total, and what kind of camera did you take? I
    suppose the followup would be did you think it was a good choice later?
    (Not necessarily while you were carrying the weight, but later when you
    looked at the photos).

    When we get the renovation on our house wrapped up I'd like to do some
    hikes on the AT of two weeks to a month.

    Bob

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:27:56 -0500, bob <not@not.not> wrote:

    >rafeb wrote:
    >
    >> I was 37 years old when I did my "big" AT hike
    >> and averaged 11 miles per day overall. There
    >> was a speedster on the trail that year who was
    >> moving at almost three times that speed.
    >>

    >How far did you go total, and what kind of camera did you take? I
    >suppose the followup would be did you think it was a good choice later?
    >(Not necessarily while you were carrying the weight, but later when you
    >looked at the photos).
    >
    >When we get the renovation on our house wrapped up I'd like to do some
    >hikes on the AT of two weeks to a month.

    I did about 700 miles in one go, from April 4
    to June 2, 1990. Springer Mtn. to Blacksburg VA.

    I did another 100+ miles in Maine later that
    same year, from Katahdin summit to Monson ME.

    Over the 15 years since, I've finished my
    coverage of the trail from the northern terminus
    down to Dalton MA. So overall, about 2/3 of the
    trail under my belt so far. There are sections
    of trail in the White Mountains (NH) that I've
    walked at least 20 times. (Eg., the Franconia
    Ridge.)

    I took a Ricoh film SLR, because it was cheap
    and fairly lightweight. I left my Nikon FE at
    home for two reasons: the weight, and because
    I was less attached to the Ricoh -- ie, I
    wouldn't feel as bad if it were lost or ruined.

    No regrets. It was the right choice for me, at
    the time. These days I usually take my Canon G2.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafe bustin wrote:

    > I did about 700 miles in one go, from April 4
    > to June 2, 1990. Springer Mtn. to Blacksburg VA.
    >
    > I did another 100+ miles in Maine later that
    > same year, from Katahdin summit to Monson ME.

    Sounds like a great time. Thanks for sharing.

    Bob

Photo Cameras