How fast CPU technology advances

samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Is anyone else just clearly AMAZED by the sheer overwheming speed at which CPU technology increases? 4 years ago, an Core 2 Dual or Quad was the most BOSS processor on the market. Now it's like a little toy you can mess around with. Imagine where our i7's and i5's will be in 2015..

zergesys

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
Hahaha, yep. An industry moving around the clock, constantly furthering their goals to push the envelope. And at a rate that's almost never seen in other industries. Thank a broad industry and rabid consumer demand.

It's fun, and completely unpredictable. I remember one of my computer science professors from university used to make fun it a lot. He complained that while he had to completely update material every year, the English department is still operating on Shakespeare 1.0. lol

Baralis

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Not just CPUs but the entire electronic age.

30 years ago when I was a child the Atari 2600 was the bomb. Looking back at the clunky, simple, graphically poor games of the day compared to todays games the difference is simply amazing.

Cell phones and hand helds are another big one. When I was a child a very very few people had "cell" phones. They were the size of small homes and had poor receptions and little service areas. Now they are tiny and do everything a person could imagine.

Its not that impressive really, core 2 quads will still run anything you throw at them. If only software developers would take any note of this. Most software is still unable to use more than 2 cores efficiently. 4 cores are the most popular ATM and we have 8 core consumer model CPU's around the corner. And where is all the 64bit native software? 64 bit CPU's have been around for a really long time now.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

Most software doesn't need to make use of more than 2 cores. What do you want them to do? Bloat it so that they can say we use 18 bajillion cores, but they really only do as much useful processing as before?

Same goes for 64-bit, why upgrade when the process doesn't need it.

If cars could advance as fast as processors, we would be getting thousands of miles to the drop. Hardware is able to improve quickly, you have to admit.