Overclock 980x

pnico

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
hi,

can anyone point me a direction for a simple way to overclock the 980x to be fast enough to feed 2 6990's in eyefinity?

thanks!

pnico

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I have the asus pt6 deluxe v2. I was told on amd forums that the stock 980x is not fast enough to feed the 6990s and can cause a bottle neck? I think it is more of a "quad fire" driver issue than it is the speed of the cpu...

I think it seems that while quadifre in theory is supposed to perform better, it just doesn't yet. Ive been reading that tri fire is better..
I did buy the cpu. I've had it for a few months.

pnico

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
should I sell this and get the 2600k? I always try and keep up to date on the latest and greatest cpu..what is intels top cpu anymore? I've passively been paying attention..

the 980x is the most expensive cpu, but not the fastest for gaming. the i5 2500k is the king ATM as games right now dont use more than 4 cores/threads and it can be oc'd to 4.5ghz on air. If you already have the cpu, just oc it, its easy, buy a decent heatsink/fan. If you google "overclock 980x" you will come up with plenty of ways to do it.

The 990x is the most expensive right now and you will be hard pressed to find a 980x. Newegg has a 980 ( non extreme ) for around $600

If you sell the 980x and get the 2500k then you also have to get a new MB and Ram.

pnico

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
can i use software to overclock this..software as within windows? i guess where I get confused is in the bios.. Ive looked at many overclock guides for the 980x and there seems to be a ton of settings to change in the bios..
on the asus website they have something called turbo v..can I use that?
is this 980x still on the intel list of high end cpu's?

Try to not be confused in the bios , you are looking for only a few things to change , the most important being the clock multiplier. If you set that to 29 you will get an increase that you can see at the top of the page and you won't have to change the voltage. Then save and exit and go into windows and make sure it is stable , run a few benchmarks.
Water cooling is great and will keep the temps down on the cpu. Overclocking is a tedious thing that you have to be very patient with and you will only have to do the process once and you can enjoy the higher ghz. Start off with a small overclock.

This cpu will go to around 4.3 but you would have to change the voltage. Like I said before start small to get used to it and then go further. Just to start set the multiplier to 27 and save and exit . You can go to 29 later if your comfortable in the meantime run some benchmarks and compare them to the stock speed. Also a good thing to do would be to do some reasearch and try to find articles that show the settings of the cpu being overclocked and what speed swere reached. You can start here at this web site as they did an overclock and posted the settings in the article they wrote.