Radeon 6850 = Major starcraft II FPS issues

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 18, 2011 3:16:48 PM

I just picked up SCII again and loaded it onto my new PC Build. I am running:

AMD Phenom II x4 (955 Edition)
4GB Ram
XFX Radeon 6850
Win 7 - 64Bit Home Edition

I'm only getting at most 20 FPS during play. When there's a battle going on, the FPS drops down to 1-2 FPS. I've lowed in game graphics settings to medium (vs ultra/extreme) and the FPS does not change. I'm using catalyst 11.3 drivers (which I believe is the latest and greatest). Other games I'm playing (e.g. - Bioshock) are not having any issues.

I've scrounged around on google and have heard a few other with this issue as well (no resolution). I believe Blizzard's official standpoint is that the Radeon 6xxx series is not supported/tested for SC2. :fou: 

Just curious if anyone has run into this issue before? If so...what was the solution? Also...do you think blizzard will have a fix for this?

Best solution

April 18, 2011 3:20:27 PM

You can try to install an older driver version. My last card was a 5xxx card and always had some weird issue with new drivers updates. It was always with one game, while the others were fine.
April 18, 2011 3:27:46 PM

Are you talking about the catalyst drivers?
Score
Related resources
April 18, 2011 3:32:15 PM

Yes. I usually download a different version and drive sweeper the old ones and reboot. Then install the older ones. I always had a "go to" set that always worked. I just hated not updating and getting the performance increases that the new drivers noted.
Score
April 18, 2011 4:05:17 PM

k1ck3rtw said:
I believe Blizzard's official standpoint is that the Radeon 6xxx series is not supported/tested for SC2. :fou: 

lol where did you get that? did they ever mention that? personally i think it is AMD responsibility to optimized the game for their card. the game developer responsibility is to check in game problems, bugs and add updates to improve the game not to make driver to improve game performance :D 
Score
April 18, 2011 4:08:42 PM

renz496 said:
lol where did you get that? did they ever mention that? personally i think it is AMD responsibility to optimized the game for their card. the game developer responsibility is to check in game problems, bugs and add updates to improve the game not to make driver to improve game performance :D 

http://sea.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/120312040

I believe someone from blizzard put up a link of supported graphics cards. I can't get to it from where I am (firewall issues), but it's the post with 3 links in it
Score
April 18, 2011 4:20:26 PM

still it is not blizzard responsible to make sure the 6000 series from amd will work without trouble. if the problem comes from the game itself (such as bugs) then it's a different story
Score
April 20, 2011 6:17:33 PM

Best answer selected by k1ck3rtw.
Score
April 20, 2011 6:20:10 PM

Update....just rolled back to 11.2 and everything seems fine. I've also seen elsewhere that if having google chrome run in the background causes FPS issues. Sounds dumb...but so far the driver rollback seems to work
Score
April 20, 2011 8:18:00 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!