Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Motherboard failure?

Last response: in Motherboards
June 18, 2012 10:21:26 PM

Hello everyone,

I was playing a game last night and during a cutscene, my computer completely froze up (I couldn't exit to Windows or anything). I hit the reset button on the computer tower and it seemed to reboot like usual except that there was no signal to my monitor. All the fans on all the components seem to be working fine.

So after powering everything off and laying my computer tower flat, I turned it on again trying to figure out what was wrong with it. To my surprise, my computer started booting up normally. Turning the computer back up right caused it to freeze again. I noticed that when the computer was booting up properly, that my CPU fan spun a lot quicker (as opposed to it spinning at a lower speed when it wasn't producing any signal). After repeating this several times, the PC refused to boot up whether it was laying flat or upright.

I figured it must have been my video card, but even after plugging the DVI cable directly into the motherboard, it still wouldn't produce any signal. I've also tried booting up using one stick of ram to test if it faulty ram was the cause of it all. I figured it was either the motherboard, processor or the power supply.

One thing to note is that the power supply had been giving me some minor problems for a couple months now. Everything the computer was shut down with the power supply on, it would produce a high pitch squeal. I've simply been shutting off the power supply completely to "fix" that problem.

So what do you guys think? Could it be my motherboard and/ or processor? Or it is simply a faulty power supply causing all this?

Here is my set up:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
ASUS M4A78T-E Motherboard
Corsair CX600 Power Supply
HIS Radeon HD 5770 GPU

More about : motherboard failure

Best solution

a c 1155 V Motherboard
June 18, 2012 11:20:08 PM

Looks to me you have a loose connection somewhere, reseat everything cards, ram and cables.
June 19, 2012 1:22:41 AM

Thank you very much! It turns out that it was just the network adapter that was loose, which was kinda odd since it was working perfectly before my computer crashed. Anyway, after pulling it out and putting it back in, the computer started booting up.

Thanks again
Score
Related resources
June 19, 2012 1:22:49 AM

Best answer selected by mrhobbes.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 19, 2012 2:32:29 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!