LIFETIME WARRANTY's on Graphics cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

4ktv

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
How long is a LIFETIME WARRANTY? Is it your lifetime or how long the card is for sale new. The way I read it seem to say that is no better than a 3 year warranty. I got my 4870 two years ago and then I can't find it new any more. In my unstanding it last for how long the card is for sale new. Right?

P.S Does any one know why star trek armada 2 would work on a HD 4870, but not on a GTX 5xx. ( I would like to know, so I can stop thinking something may be the card is showing the first sign of dieing or some thing like that.)

Solution
You have to read into the Lifetime warranties. Sometimes they are for the original purchaser only, and sometimes you can transfer to a 2nd owner. However, you have to unregister and reregister through the manufacture site. I did this with an XFX card already. If the manufacture can not replace your card with another card like it, they will send you an equivalent card that is of equal or greater performance. Sometimes people can luck out on that stuff. I had a 5870 that I RMAed 4 times and they had no more left so they sent me a 5970. Darn. Others might be if you had a GTX 285 and they might replace it with a GTX560 or something like that. Just an example.

As mentioned above, is the issue is only in a single game it might be...

gormenghast

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011

Not sure about the warranty, but I've had a few games not work properly simply due to the drivers, have you tried updating?

You have to read into the Lifetime warranties. Sometimes they are for the original purchaser only, and sometimes you can transfer to a 2nd owner. However, you have to unregister and reregister through the manufacture site. I did this with an XFX card already. If the manufacture can not replace your card with another card like it, they will send you an equivalent card that is of equal or greater performance. Sometimes people can luck out on that stuff. I had a 5870 that I RMAed 4 times and they had no more left so they sent me a 5970. Darn. Others might be if you had a GTX 285 and they might replace it with a GTX560 or something like that. Just an example.

As mentioned above, is the issue is only in a single game it might be driver related. Make sure there are no patches for your game, and then update your drives. Sometimes, if you are using updated drivers you may have to revert back to an older release. ATI seems to have that issue on occasion. I know I ran into it before.

Solution

4ktv

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
I have tryed both 260 and 266 drivers. I tryed restalling the game and it still did not work. It's one of my best old games that I like to play when I want to be oldschool or star trek. It's a rare game so there are next to no videos of the game.

So they are your lifetime. Thats good then.

Status
Not open for further replies.