External USB Sound Card for Laptop

frobis

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Hello,

I have a Toshiba laptop, but its internal sound card doesn't seem to be working any more. It used to work great when I first got it. I'm not sure if it's a motherboard issue.

Over the year, the sound level has been going down, but now, I can no longer get any audio from the laptop.

I'm wondering if an external USB sound card would work and give me the audio I need without having to replace the motherboard.

I appreciate your suggestions. Thanks so much for your help.

Solution
Yip your best bet would be to get a usb sound card, if it does not work then you would be suffering from either OS issues or driver complications, i would suggest you take it in to your local IT store and ask them to test it on the laptop before you purchase it, however it is more then likely to work within so you will be changing the hardwares output as well as probably using alternative drivers through the OS.

Pilk

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Yip your best bet would be to get a usb sound card, if it does not work then you would be suffering from either OS issues or driver complications, i would suggest you take it in to your local IT store and ask them to test it on the laptop before you purchase it, however it is more then likely to work within so you will be changing the hardwares output as well as probably using alternative drivers through the OS.

Solution

frobis

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

Thank you very much, Pilk! I'll give that a try.

frobis

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

I just wanted to give you an update. The external sound card you suggested worked out great! I can now receive sound from my laptop and am very excited indeed. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!