Sign in with
Your question

Ati display driver has stopped responding

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 18, 2011 4:34:48 PM

My graphics card keeps crashing when watching flash videos, youtube, justintv, etc. It will go black for a few seconds and then I get the following error message,

"Ati display driver has stopped responding and has recovered from an error"

The screen where the video was playing will then go green and then sound will continue. It only happens sometimes on youtube but I recently started watching Justintv and I can only seem to watch about 5 seconds before the crash happens.

My graphics card is Ati 5970 running in windows 7 64bit with 11.3 drivers. I currently have dual monitor setup but this issue has been happening since before I got two monitors.

Any ideas?
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 18, 2011 4:38:17 PM

What power supply do you have? Is your 5970 overclocked?
April 18, 2011 4:58:28 PM

It's only a 750 watt power supply. Nope not overclocked, completely stock.

Playing games such as crysis, SCII work perfect so not too sure if it would be a heating/power issue.
Related resources
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 18, 2011 5:13:20 PM

What 750W PSU do you have?

I ran a 5970 off my 750W PC Power and cooling with an overclocked i7-920 4GHz. No issues. So if your PSU is even ok it should be fine.

If you disable one display does it have an issue? The card should actually run at a higher clock with 2 displays connected. I thought this was an issue at first but if I downclocked it with 2 display enabled I had VERY similar issues as to what you mentioned. My video would be all messed up. I had to maintain a higher clock. I think it was 300MHz on the GPU. With one display it was 157MHz. You can check this in the ATI Catalyst Control Center.

I had terrible driver issues with my 5970, I think I had it backed off to version 10.2 or something like that. All others did something either weird in game or on the desktop. If the above all looks good, I would try an older driver.
April 18, 2011 6:10:37 PM

OCZ STEALTHXSTREAM 2 is the PSU.

Haven't checked out the clock speeds with the monitors, will do it tonight for sure. But like I said I've been having this issue even with one monitor :( 

Yeah I thought it was a driver issue at first but I've updated to newer drivers twice and i'm still getting the same issue.

Before I install new drivers I remove the old drivers through control panel, could this be the issue? I usually download the full driver install so I don't see why this would be an issue.
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 18, 2011 6:15:12 PM

I use driver sweeper to remove my drivers. Every time I uninstalled drivers it just reverted back to the previously installed set. This helped with one of the issues I ran into. You may have to go back to an older driver set, not sure which one. But maybe research stable ATI drivers for 5970.

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/
April 19, 2011 10:33:37 PM

jay2tall said:
I use driver sweeper to remove my drivers. Every time I uninstalled drivers it just reverted back to the previously installed set. This helped with one of the issues I ran into. You may have to go back to an older driver set, not sure which one. But maybe research stable ATI drivers for 5970.

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Uninstalled drivers normally, booted the system into safe mode and then used drivesweeper to remove the rest of Ati drivers from my machine. Booted windows normally and installed catalyst suite 11.3 and still running into the same problem :( 
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 20, 2011 1:25:34 PM

Try and older version of drivers.
April 25, 2011 4:16:34 AM

i can assure you its def not a hardware problem. I have an HP dv7t-4000CTO with an ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5650, got it back in September '10. I didnt start having this problem until early march after getting my laptop back from having the sound card replaced(jack went bad) nothing hardware related changed other than that so it shouldnt be cause by that. I had already updated the drivers to the newest ones a few weeks before i sent it in for the repair with no problems, but now i have the problem described of watching youtube videos, eventally having one somehow crash my driver but it recovers, with everything working right, the video now all green and th esound still playing. as long as i dont open up youtube type vids its fine, even ustream isnt a problem, but if i accidentally(or purpously) try to watch a yt vid after the bugout, it crashes my computers and reboots. its getting pretty old. i tried uninstalling the drivers then installing the old ones with no luck, so i uninstalled those and tried the new ones again, still persists. i cant really find any help of fixes for this so far :( 
April 25, 2011 12:48:17 PM

^ Yeah same problem. Do you know if ATI is aware of this issue?
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2011 6:03:35 PM

I was having the same problem. Found out it was the Intel media accelerator driver. If you have it then uninstall it... onboard graphics more times than not are okay to leave alone but in my case it was the source of the problem. I've got the ATI 11.3 package. The display driver is 8.831.2.0... anyway, once I rid myself of the intel graphics driver I've never had a problem since and I'm only running with a 600watt power supply.
Hope this helps and good luck!

Russ
April 26, 2011 4:23:41 PM

RussK1 said:
I was having the same problem. Found out it was the Intel media accelerator driver. If you have it then uninstall it... onboard graphics more times than not are okay to leave alone but in my case it was the source of the problem. I've got the ATI 11.3 package. The display driver is 8.831.2.0... anyway, once I rid myself of the intel graphics driver I've never had a problem since and I'm only running with a 600watt power supply.
Hope this helps and good luck!

Russ

that's be great to try if i knew where to find it to uninstall it
a c 358 U Graphics card
April 26, 2011 4:27:32 PM

Ever since I upgraded to CCC 11.3 I get that message every now and then even when I am just surfing.

The next time it happens I'll just roll back to CCC 11.1 or 11.2.
April 28, 2011 3:39:45 AM

rolling back doesnt ever seem to work for me. and also, i figured out why i couldnt find/uninstall that intel media accelerator driver russ was talking about. its cause i never had it, so it cant be the root of the problem, seeing as my laptop doesnt have any onboard intel graphics, just the ati.
a b U Graphics card
April 28, 2011 7:04:32 PM

willgame4food said:
rolling back doesnt ever seem to work for me. and also, i figured out why i couldnt find/uninstall that intel media accelerator driver russ was talking about. its cause i never had it, so it cant be the root of the problem, seeing as my laptop doesnt have any onboard intel graphics, just the ati.

Sorry my advice didn't work as I didn't know whether or not you had the media accelerator driver. I don't know, maybe it's a compatibilty issue with your system(??). I've been slumming the net and see that a lot of folks are having the same issues so it's not an isolated problem. Who knows? Maybe it's just the drivers and like Jaguar mentioned, rolling back may help and not just to 11.2 or 11.1 but farther. ATI has even gone to say that previous versions of catalyst offer better performance(??). And my experiences were pretty similar, I only experienced the driver crashing when I was doing simple stuff especially when I switched to and from standard and advanced view in CCC. Anyhow, let me know how it goes...

Take care,

Russ
April 28, 2011 10:47:15 PM

RussK1 said:
Sorry my advice didn't work as I didn't know whether or not you had the media accelerator driver. I don't know, maybe it's a compatibilty issue with your system(??). I've been slumming the net and see that a lot of folks are having the same issues so it's not an isolated problem. Who knows? Maybe it's just the drivers and like Jaguar mentioned, rolling back may help and not just to 11.2 or 11.1 but farther. ATI has even gone to say that previous versions of catalyst offer better performance(??). And my experiences were pretty similar, I only experienced the driver crashing when I was doing simple stuff especially when I switched to and from standard and advanced view in CCC. Anyhow, let me know how it goes...

Take care,

Russ

Now I know why people like NVidia more :( 
May 2, 2011 3:44:18 PM

Except a quick Google will show that nVidia card users also experience the same issue.

I have a Sapphire HD5850 on a Windows 7 box with 8GB of RAM. I occasionally get this issue when using Windows 7 Media Center. One of the suggestions I've seen on some Microsoft forums is to change the power profile in Control Panel from "balanced" to "high performance." I've done this, and the problem hasn't manifest since I did so, but it's too soon to pronounce success.

RBM
a b U Graphics card
May 2, 2011 8:13:39 PM

rbmorse said:
Except a quick Google will show that nVidia card users also experience the same issue.

I have a Sapphire HD5850 on a Windows 7 box with 8GB of RAM. I occasionally get this issue when using Windows 7 Media Center. One of the suggestions I've seen on some Microsoft forums is to change the power profile in Control Panel from "balanced" to "high performance." I've done this, and the problem hasn't manifest since I did so, but it's too soon to pronounce success.

RBM

You're right as to Nvidia having similar issues. I've always set my Windows 7 profile to High Performance although my system board has it's own power profile I simply just don't like it. I just seem to get more consistancy from the windows power manager. Back to the subject at hand... I don't have the driver issue often, in fact, it's rather rare and I'm content, so in other words, I don't fret it. In times of late I've actually interjected the problem by purposely trying to get it to "not respond" just so I can narrow down the issue. I don't know, I guess I like the challenge of the puzzle by problem solving. It's simply just a machine and can be manipulated. The problem seemed to be more acute when the media accelerator driver was present (for me) but perhaps that's just a placebo(??). Who knows, it may be just a compatibilty issue with certain coding.
June 22, 2011 9:00:54 AM

I'm having the exact same issue, and it only seems to happen when I watch flash videos or streams, like justin.tv or youtube. Been snooping around Google for an answer for a while now; doesn't seem like anyone has a solution to this problem.
June 22, 2011 9:58:02 AM

I have also the same problem, but then with the nvidia FX 880M
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2011 12:33:22 PM

sammytor said:
I have also the same problem, but then with the nvidia FX 880M

Don't know if it helps you guys, but I added a second second card for CF and the issue is gone... mo matter what I do it doesn't happen. Maybe ATI and Nvidia design their drivers around CF and SLI and are just buggy with single cards(?).

Russ
June 27, 2011 2:26:47 AM

ive had this problem for a bit and tried to get rid of it. even went as far as to wipe/reinstall windows/install latest drivers for 6950 card. issue still persists. new hardware in the case and i cannot for the life of me solve this.
October 9, 2011 1:45:41 AM

same thing happens to my laptop. I noticed that when I reduce the brightness of its screen to save power consumption, the crashing occurs every time I watch videos or play games. but when I just leave it downloading something, no crash occurs. crashing will not happen when the brightness is at the maximum. I always thought that the driver is not compatible with windows 7 ultimate because when I disabled the driver no crash happens. the card is ATI HD 5650
June 12, 2012 6:52:21 PM

willgame4food said:
i can assure you its def not a hardware problem. I have an HP dv7t-4000CTO with an ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5650, got it back in September '10. I didnt start having this problem until early march after getting my laptop back from having the sound card replaced(jack went bad) nothing hardware related changed other than that so it shouldnt be cause by that. I had already updated the drivers to the newest ones a few weeks before i sent it in for the repair with no problems, but now i have the problem described of watching youtube videos, eventally having one somehow crash my driver but it recovers, with everything working right, the video now all green and th esound still playing. as long as i dont open up youtube type vids its fine, even ustream isnt a problem, but if i accidentally(or purpously) try to watch a yt vid after the bugout, it crashes my computers and reboots. its getting pretty old. i tried uninstalling the drivers then installing the old ones with no luck, so i uninstalled those and tried the new ones again, still persists. i cant really find any help of fixes for this so far :( 

I am having the same issues, any ways of fixing it without flat out buying a new video Card, I am strongly leaning towards...
!