Closed Solved

Needs some help with my GTX 260

Hi everyone,

I wanted to know how good the default settings of my GTX 260 are for BF: Bad Company 2. I don't know enough to be able to tweak something in order to get better results, so please share some wisdom. I downloaded EVGA Precision in an attempt to find out how much FPS I am getting during play on 1680x1050 medium quality and it averages out at around 58. Should it be higher? My monitor top refresh rate is 60, so I am assuming that is the highest fps I can get in-game even though EVGA precision has my fps as high as 120 sometimes. I am novice in the GPU lingo even though I have tried to read up and play around with the settings but any info would be helpful.

Here is my setup

I have the GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB, latest 267.24 driver version installed, on a Windows 7 Enterprise, 64-bit (Service Pack 1). All my settings are on default.

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W Power Supply
Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz (clocked up to 3.2ghz)
G.SKILL HK 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
ASUS VW224U Black 22" 2ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor

Thanks a lot
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about needs
  1. visit http://www.geforce.com/#/Optimize
    select your gpu
    click on find settings
    click on battlefield bad company 2 and see optimal playable settings for your gpu
  2. ^ That is actually interesting. Their settings show 43FPS at his res. I would REALLY try and get VSync ON for this game. I've monkeyed with several cards with this game.

    I would set all details to HIGH, VSYNC on, HBOA ON, and then set AA and AF to something like x4. Start there and run something like FRAPS or MSI Afterburner to show your FPS in game. You can creep your settings up and down from there.
  3. jay2tall said:
    ^ That is actually interesting. Their settings show 43FPS at his res. I would REALLY try and get VSync ON for this game. I've monkeyed with several cards with this game.

    I would set all details to HIGH, VSYNC on, HBOA ON, and then set AA and AF to something like x4. Start there and run something like FRAPS or MSI Afterburner to show your FPS in game. You can creep your settings up and down from there.



    So I want to leave the settings as they are in the NVidia control panel, and mess with them in game?
  4. celpas said:
    visit http://www.geforce.com/#/Optimize
    select your gpu
    click on find settings
    click on battlefield bad company 2 and see optimal playable settings for your gpu


    Thanks man, i didn't know about that website
  5. Best answer
    d3n1x said:
    So I want to leave the settings as they are in the NVidia control panel, and mess with them in game?

    Oh yeah, in game only. Very rarely would you mess with them in the driver software. I think the settings that the link gives you are a bit aggressive. x16 AA and x16 AF is a bit much. It also says it will deliver 43FPS which is to low for a First person shooter. You want 60 constant. I'd try the settings I mentioned and go from there. You can always lower them if needed or raise them if you can. Detail should be fine at High. If I could run a 8800GTS with high detail, then you can with a 260GTX. That card had AA and AF turned down to the minimum with HBAO OFF. HBAO is for shadows. You can probably turn that off and keep some AA if you want. That is all going to be personal preference.
  6. I own a 275 gtx and get a constant 40+ fps with 16XAA AND 16AF and HBAO disabled.HBAO is really a fps killer.In a scene with HBAO disabled got 48fps.When enabled it fps wend down to 35.The difference in image quality?corners of the room got darker and the base of grass got darker.Is it worth it?Thats personal preference
  7. HBAO is Horizon-Based Ambient Occlusion. It is basically shadowing, that is it. It's a preference, but if it hinders performance you can turn it off.
  8. Thanks guys. I haven't had time to check the different settings, but I am hoping I will have some this weekend. I will let you know how it goes.
  9. d3n1x said:
    Thanks guys. I haven't had time to check the different settings, but I am hoping I will have some this weekend. I will let you know how it goes.

    Just to inform you bro,nvidia also has a teak guide for this particular game
    http://www.geforce.com/#/Optimize/Guides/bfbc2-tweak-guide
  10. Best answer selected by d3n1x.
  11. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Graphics Product