Sign in with
Your question

How can I get more sata power connections?

Last response: in Components
September 27, 2011 7:17:24 AM

This may be a dumb question, but here it is. I want to add two more hdds for a RAID array, but I only have one more sata power lead from my power supply. I have plenty of the 4-pin female connectors with six wires (2 black, 2 red, 2 yellow). Can I use an adaptor from those to convert to sata power? Can I split power from my one existing power lead? Is there another way?

Thanks,
Bryan

More about : sata power connections

September 27, 2011 7:19:51 AM

Looks like I'm asking about a "molex" connector?
September 27, 2011 8:54:14 AM

Thats correct what you should ideally use is a molex splitter cable so single into two and then a standard molex to sata adapter, then are an array of adaptions so just chose what is easiest really. Here is an example of a straight molex to 2 sata adapter.

For example this:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=molex+to+2+sata+adapter&...
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
September 27, 2011 10:48:24 AM

what is your psu and how many HDD's do you have? Most Sata power cables from a decent psu will have multiple connections going into a single slot in the psu. What is your psu and how many hdd's do you have, want total. This will help me understand where exactly you are going with this setup.
September 27, 2011 2:50:39 PM

Dell i think thats a little to much just to add connectors =) lots of labour time =)
a b ) Power supply
September 27, 2011 3:13:10 PM

yeah, and there is a high risk of user error. You would have to know what you were doing and make sure all connections were very snug. I think a couple y-connectors would do just fine if he didnt have any more molex ports in his psu.
a c 243 ) Power supply
September 27, 2011 3:33:50 PM

casualbuilder said:
yeah, and there is a high risk of user error. You would have to know what you were doing and make sure all connections were very snug. I think a couple y-connectors would do just fine if he didnt have any more molex ports in his psu.

The punch down connectors are simple enough that an untrained chimp could figure them out, you give people to little credit.
a b ) Power supply
September 27, 2011 3:38:40 PM

^ I give people as much credit as they have proven. You have no idea of his tech skill or anything, and you recommended something that could give him a false error, such as bad connections. There are more fool-proof solutions out there that work just as good for the issue.

However, since he has yet to answer my question about how many HDD's/cd-rom bays he has installed, this is yet to be an issue. Most mid to high end psu's come with sata power cables that have 3-4 sata connectors attached to them. So, if he only has 4 units to hook up, he shouldn't need anything he doesn't already have.

September 27, 2011 6:32:55 PM

casualbuilder said:
what is your psu and how many HDD's do you have? Most Sata power cables from a decent psu will have multiple connections going into a single slot in the psu. What is your psu and how many hdd's do you have, want total. This will help me understand where exactly you are going with this setup.

I have a 700W CoolerMaster Extreme Power Plus PSU, and I currently have 3 HDDs, but I want 5 total.
September 28, 2011 7:52:28 AM

LOL i think you good there mate you should have more then enough connections =) LOL +1^ to casual builder stick to the Y connectors if anything its not worth the time or human error.
!