DVMT Settings, Intel HD 3000, and GTX 580 Config

bebop460

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
I'm pretty confused about how DVMT, Intel HD 3000, and the GTX 580 relate to each other and how to config my system for optimal performance.

I posted a similar question yesterday, but I find myself even more curious about this now. I apologize if these are stupid questions, but I have been searching all day (and reading the useless manual) and can't find answers. Here's what im wondering:

1. With my gpu installed and the monitor hooked up to it, is HD 3000 automatically disabled?

2. Is the system still sharing and allocating RAM to the HD3000? If so, should I disable it (I don't use Quick Sync or whatever its called)? How would I go about doing that?

3. I've read about DVMT Memory and have a basic understanding of it, but I'm not sure if it will hinder or help my system. My BIOS only gives me 2 choices; 256 mb or Maximum, though I've read this can be set manually.

4. What is render standby (it is in advanced northbridge config section)? I saw this in the BIOS and im not sure how to set it.

5. On an unrelated note, will I get better performance with CPU virtualization on or off, or does it make no difference? (I dont use VMWare or any other OS)

6. Is there anything to be gained with the Virtu software? I've heard of a FPS boost, but I've heard it is a false reading.

Specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
ASRock Z68 Extreme4
i7 2600k (LGA 1155)
EVGA GTX 580 (3GB -AR prefix)
GSkill RipJaws X: 2x4GB
WD Caviar Black 1TB Sata 6gbps
Seasonic Ht 850W

Thanks in advance for any help

bebop460

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
The general consensus I'm seeing online is:

1. It is Auto-Disabled
2. No
3. It seems Windows 7 Automatically allocates the memory regardless. Either way, it can be beneficial
4. This has to do with integrated graphics. Running a discrete, may as well disable it
5. Makes no difference unless you actually use the feature
6. Virtu is only useful if you use quick sync. Its reported frame rate increases is a false reading