Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Corsair AX-850 PSU

Last response: in Components
September 27, 2011 9:53:02 AM

Hey All,
I was advised in another thread I created I stated that my HD 5870 SOC is GSODing unless I underclock my Memory Clock by 100Mhz. However after telling another member about my PC components he informed me that my current PSU (Ritmo 860 Watt) was incredibly bad and that it was most likely the cause of the Grey Screen Of Death on my HD 5870 SOC. So I purchased a Corsair AX-850 850 Watt PSU. Is this a reasonably good PSU? Is what the other member said possibly true?
Cheers,
Jesse

More about : corsair 850 psu

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
September 27, 2011 10:16:40 AM

high end gaming systems need high end PSUs. You won't know for sure if your old psu is the SOLE CULPRET, but, it was most definately a main contributor if not the only one. The Corsair AX850 is a beast of a psu, and you will be very very happy with it. i have the HX750, and it is by far the best investment in my build. If you continue to have GSOD, i would contact the manufacturer and/or the distributor you bought the part from and file an rma. I have a feeling this new psu will fix your problem though!
a c 277 ) Power supply
September 27, 2011 10:30:36 PM

A bad PSU can cause interesting problems, given the prices im finding on that Ritmo unit and that it only has 2 PCI-E cables it wasnt a good 860W unit, it was probably an overrated 550W unit. The AX850 is a great unit and will definitely rule out the PSU as the culprit, but you will also want to make sure your drives are updated to one of the ones after the GSOD patch.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
September 27, 2011 10:40:42 PM

The info. below will allow you to determine the quality of your PSU and how much power is required.

As far as PSUs are concerned, be informed. Before you buy any PSU read accurate, objective PSU reviews at reputable sites such as www.jonnyguru.com or www.hardwaresecrets.com on the EXACT model PSU that you are interested in as some brands have good and poor quality PSUs.

You can also get an accurate rating of how much PSU power is required for your current or future system at the PSU calculator link below. Once you know the total PSU watts required then you need to confirm that the 12v rail has enough amps. to support your Vid card(s) and the rest of the PC system.

There are several websites that show the Vid card power consumption in watts. Divide the watts by 12 to determine the amps. required on the 12v rail(s). Add 15 amps for the rest of the PC on the 12v rail and you now know the Minimum total 12v rail amps required under full load. It's best to have at least 5-10 amps. reserve on the 12v rail available under full load so the PSU is not loaded to 100%.

It's also worth noting that people often misunderstand the 80% power rating. This is a rating of the PSU's energy efficiency not it's output. 80% plus PSUs use less grid power to produce the same PC power. If it's 80% Bronze, Silver or Gold the cost savings on electricity is pretty small between Bronze, Silver and Gold unless you are paying very high rates for electricity so any 80% rated quality PSU is fine even if not Gold. For those who leave their PC on 24/7 a quality 80% PSU is a good investment.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-560-ti-sli-re...

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_5...

IT'S BETTER TO TEACH SOMEONE HOW TO FISH THAN TO GIVE THEM A FISH FOR DINNER !
m
l
a c 277 ) Power supply
September 27, 2011 10:44:35 PM

@beenthere, check your PMs and start actually answering the question at hand in your posts.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 27, 2011 10:58:45 PM

beenthere said:
The info. below will allow you to determine the quality of your PSU and how much power is required.

As far as PSUs are concerned, be informed. Before you buy any PSU read accurate, objective PSU reviews at reputable sites such as www.jonnyguru.com or www.hardwaresecrets.com on the EXACT model PSU that you are interested in as some brands have good and poor quality PSUs.

You can also get an accurate rating of how much PSU power is required for your current or future system at the PSU calculator link below. Once you know the total PSU watts required then you need to confirm that the 12v rail has enough amps. to support your Vid card(s) and the rest of the PC system.

There are several websites that show the Vid card power consumption in watts. Divide the watts by 12 to determine the amps. required on the 12v rail(s). Add 15 amps for the rest of the PC on the 12v rail and you now know the Minimum total 12v rail amps required under full load. It's best to have at least 5-10 amps. reserve on the 12v rail available under full load so the PSU is not loaded to 100%.

It's also worth noting that people often misunderstand the 80% power rating. This is a rating of the PSU's energy efficiency not it's output. 80% plus PSUs use less grid power to produce the same PC power. If it's 80% Bronze, Silver or Gold the cost savings on electricity is pretty small between Bronze, Silver and Gold unless you are paying very high rates for electricity so any 80% rated quality PSU is fine even if not Gold. For those who leave their PC on 24/7 a quality 80% PSU is a good investment.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-560-ti-sli-re...

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_5...

IT'S BETTER TO TEACH SOMEONE HOW TO FISH THAN TO GIVE THEM A FISH FOR DINNER !

for the second time, you're making me sick everytime i see you post this, it's like you're preserving not a real geek
make a tutorial or a discussion board for that instead of posting it in every thread
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 27, 2011 11:00:37 PM

@ OP, like others said this Corsair PSU is more than a great one, and always stay away from garbage PSUs, and every time before you make a purchase check the reviews on the internet.
m
l
September 27, 2011 11:05:01 PM

I love my Corsair PSU. I have the 850 HX and it gives me no problems! The 850 AX is a step up from mine. I will only ever buy Corsair PSUs forever. The Ritmo is a POS IMHO. I have a Corsair HX 520 running in another PC that is 4 years old and has never given me a single headache.
m
l
September 28, 2011 4:03:29 AM

So does all this mean that my problem will be fixed?
thanks for all the replies...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 28, 2011 4:43:51 AM

ilysaml said:
for the second time, you're making me sick everytime i see you post this, it's like you're preserving not a real geek
make a tutorial or a discussion board for that instead of posting it in every thread

It IS a tutorial... ;)  Have you noticed how many people ask the same basic questions about PSUs and Vid cards?

Chill out and stop whining. I simply do not have the time to do the calculations for everyone as I have been doing. People should learn to do them for themselves. So I'm helping them along.

IT'S BETTER TO TEACH A PERSON HOW TO FISH THAN TO GIVE THEM A FISH FOR DINNER.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. INVEST A LITTLE EFFORT IN LEANING - Then you can help other people in addition to yourself.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 28, 2011 5:03:40 AM

@beenthere May I please direct you to the mod's statement about that "tutorial" of yours?

hunter315 said:
@beenthere, check your PMs and start actually answering the question at hand in your posts.

Basically, what I and probably many others want is just you putting a comment or something directing the OP as to why he should follow your tutorial and how it would help in answering his or her question.

To the OP ~ sorry for slight derail.

The AX850 is a high quality unit manufactured by Seasonic and based off their X series of power supplies. The X series are one of the best power supply lines out in existence today for us consumers and as such, the Corsair AX series inherit that trait and it's high quality.
m
l
September 28, 2011 6:09:39 AM

@hunter315 this is what AMD Control Center shows:
Driver Packaging Version 8.881-110728a-122939C-ATI
Catalyst Version 11.8
Provider ATI Technologies Inc.
2D Driver Version 8.01.01.1178
2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000
Direct3D Version 7.14.10.0855
OpenGL Version 6.14.10.11005
AMD VISION Engine Control Center Version 2011.0728.1756.30366
AMD Audio Driver Version 7.12.0.7702

This all right? What does Driver Packaging Version mean? I'm really sorry if I'm annoying people with my questions but I did google this and haven't really had a straight forward answer...
I thank all those who have responded to my question regarding my new PSU :D  glad I've picked a good one.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 29, 2011 9:36:46 PM

buchananjesse said:
So does all this mean that my problem will be fixed?
thanks for all the replies...

"IF" your original PSU was the problem, then a new properly powered PSU should solve it. If the original PSU was not the proboem, then no, it won't solve it.

The ONLY way to know is to install it and test it. You can benchmark it, torture test it, or just go play games and see what happens.
m
l
October 5, 2011 9:57:05 AM

Aight I must have terrible luck or something...
I just installed my new PSU and new corsair 8gb vengeance onto my PC and upon boot my screen goes black and no error beeps or anything sounded D:
I removed my Ram and tried them seperately 1 by 1 to see if only one was at fault... still had no luck.
replaced my newer ram with my 4gb older Ram in the hope that I would see my screen again... nope :( 
I have absolutely not the slightest clue as to what could be at fault here.
any feedback would be HUGELY appreciated.
Jesse
m
l
October 5, 2011 9:57:59 AM

Oh and all the fans and lights come up on the computer as well...
m
l
October 5, 2011 11:29:42 PM

Right I figured out the source of my problem...
I hadn't properly plugged all new cords into motherboard and my new RAM wasn't working :( 
So now I am using the new Power Supply and my shitty old ram. My motherboard is M4N68T-M (I know, pretty lame).
I am going to post a question asking what motherboard I should get to replace my current.
cheers for the support.
Jesse
m
l
October 5, 2011 11:30:58 PM

Best answer selected by buchananjesse.
m
l
!