Sign in with
Your question

New Z68 build most ready

Last response: in Systems
July 1, 2011 8:10:34 PM

Well, I've got most of my parts:

ASRock Z68 PRO3 MOBO,
My RAM,..G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Myy heatsink/fan Cooler Master Hyper 212+ (got it for $25 at Fry's when others are selling them for up to $50 if they have them in stock.)

Some Artic Cooling MX4 thermal paste

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

A new optical drive: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner.

I'm keeping my old PNY Quadro NVS 440 graphics card which is mostly a financial workstation card which is what I do. I'm not a gamer.

My old CoolerMaster case and my old COOLER MASTER Real Power RS-450-ACLY 450W ATX12V Active PFC Power Supply power supply for now. We'll see if that works.

MS W7 HP 64 bit. And MS Office 2010 Student and Home 3 user.

Think this will work?

And a couple of bottles of Bogle chardonnay.

The price spread on some of these parts and vendors surprised me.

And then my new Intel i5 2500K CPU which I got at Micro Center Dallas for $180. So much cheaper than the other stores. How do they do that?

More about : z68 build ready

July 1, 2011 8:45:59 PM

Overall the build looks good one thing to make sure of is the memory. Make sure that the memory you have selected is 1.5v and not 1.6 or higher. If you use higher memory it can damage the processor and void the warranty. G.Skill Ripjawx is offered at both 1.5v and 1.65v.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast
m
l
July 2, 2011 1:29:27 AM

IntelEnthusiast said:
Overall the build looks good one thing to make sure of is the memory. Make sure that the memory you have selected is 1.5v and not 1.6 or higher. If you use higher memory it can damage the processor and void the warranty. G.Skill Ripjawx is offered at both 1.5v and 1.65v.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast

Thanks Christian. Yes, I've checked and the RAM I listed is 1.5 volts. I think this RAM is "especially made for the P67 and Z68 mobos. After I read your comment and checked again and it is 1.5v RAM.

Another thing is that the day after my order arrived, newegg had dropped the price on my Ram $9. I called them up and they gave me a price reduction for the $9 which made the 8 gigs $75 instead of $84. Nice of newegg.

Thanks for your comment.
m
l
!