Baldur's Gate and Windows 2000

I've installed Baldur's Gate on a Windows 2000 computer.

Unfortunately the game crashes after the Computer Graphic sequence is
finished and I'm returned back to the desktop.

Any ideas?

Andy

>I've installed Baldur's Gate on a Windows 2000 computer.
>
>Unfortunately the game crashes after the Computer Graphic sequence is
>finished and I'm returned back to the desktop.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Andy

I have used it on windows me, windows 98 and windows xp without any problems
but there are a couple of things you can do.

1 make sure you have updated windows 2000 via windows update fully and
completly if you have not done that it will take a long time and you will have
to revisit windows update several times.

2 make sure you have patched baldur's gate if you are talking about BG 1 then
there is also a patch just to patch direct x you will need that as well.

3 if both of those do not work then if windows 2000 has the ability to run
programs in prior windows versions then click on the .exe file that starts
Baldur's gate and switch it to either windows me or to windows 98 or 95. I
don't personally know if this is possible because I have never used windows
2000 but you can do this with windows xp to run old programs that won't run in
windows xp mode.

Mike Group Owner InfinityScripters, InfinityScripters2, AuroraScripters,
AuroraModers, BWScript, Guild site at BioWare And Moderator at IEEAIS
Webrings AI Scripting Ring for Infinity And Aurora Engine Games, DARK SIDE OF
BALDURS GATE, Icewind Dale II Webring, La guilde des Balduriens, Mike's
Baldur's Gate Cheaters ring, Neverwinter Nights Webring, Neverwinter Webring,
Planescape: Torment Ring, The Infinity Support Team, The Neverwinter Guilds
Webring, The Shadows of Amn Gamers Webring, Webring Baldur's Gate 2, Baldur's
Clan 2002, InfinityScripters Webring

Minsc says "I am voting for John Kerry since he saved that hamster from
drowning. He can't be all bad if he loves a hamster."

Jaheira says "I am voting for Ralph Nader since he is for saving the
environment."

Cernd says " I like Nader but a vote for him is just thrown away and it is a
vote for Bush so I am voting for John Kerry because he is a better man for the
environment than Bush."

Edwin Says "George Bush invaded a nation and lied about his reasons so I like
him and I am Voting for George Bush."

Korgan Says "Yea Bush likes to kick butt and doesn't need a logical reason to
do it so I am voting for him as well."

Anomen Says "John Kerry won three purple hearts, a silver star and a bronze
star in combat so I will vote for John Kerry but George Bush hid in the
national guard."

Keldorn Says "I agree John Kerry is a war Hero and saved lives George Bush is a
war Zero."

Aerie Says "I will vote for Ralph Nader because he will keep the corporations
from pulling fast ones."

Viconia Says "I won't vote for any of them they are all worthless males. But I
will write in Hillary Clinton for president."

Mazzy Says "I wish John McCain had beat Bush in the last primary in the last
election since he is smarter than Bush and a better leader. Come to think of
it Minsc is smarter than Bush."

Jan Says "I will vote for Ralph Nader since he will keep pesticides off the
turnips."

"Andrew Johnson" <andyj34@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in news:41339b49$1
@dnews0.news.legend.net.uk:

> I've installed Baldur's Gate on a Windows 2000 computer.
>
> Unfortunately the game crashes after the Computer Graphic sequence is
> finished and I'm returned back to the desktop.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Andy

I've used BG1 on Windows 2000...I believe it needs the latest patch for a
dialogue problem under 2000...which doesn't seem to be your problem
however.

If I had to guess at the cause of your problem, I would say that your Video
Card drivers need updating, or a problem with your BG settings, or an
incomplete or corrupt installation.

"Dean Jarratt" <d.jarratt@spamless.ukonline.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Andrew Johnson" <andyj34@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in news:41339b49$1
> @dnews0.news.legend.net.uk:
>
> > I've installed Baldur's Gate on a Windows 2000 computer.
> >
> > Unfortunately the game crashes after the Computer Graphic sequence is
> > finished and I'm returned back to the desktop.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Andy
>
> I've used BG1 on Windows 2000...I believe it needs the latest patch for a
> dialogue problem under 2000...which doesn't seem to be your problem
> however.
>
> If I had to guess at the cause of your problem, I would say that your
Video
> Card drivers need updating, or a problem with your BG settings, or an
> incomplete or corrupt installation.

I can't help either ... I'm running it on a Win2000 machine now - an
'ultraportable' with integrated graphics. I've had great experience so far.

Mike