Pcie 2.1 gpu in 1.0, will it work with my mobo?

maciacia1

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
well, i got Asus M4N68T M LE V2 mobo and i THINK it has pcie 1.x(tried asus site dowsnt tell which pcie it is) and im building my rig atm with this mobo came with joblot(phenom II x2 550). so what it is, is that i want to buy good gpu for it and i wanted to buy a sapphire radeon HD 5830 extreme from overclockers.com gor like 85 pounds. but it says its pcie 2.1 and what it is, whther my mobo will work with it cause dont want to spend more money getting new mobo. any ideas thoughs please comment

Hard to say...

Some people have reported problems in general with a PCI-e 2.1 card in a PCI-e 1.x port. Check Asus' site for a BIOS update.

Otherwise I would simply spend a little more money on a HD 5850 PCI-e 2.0 card to avoid headache which includes spending good money to send back a HD 5830 PCI-e 2.1 for a different card.

I would call Asus tech support to find out if the latest BIOS will support a PCI-e 2.1 card in a PCI-e 1.x slot.

If I was me I would bite the bullet and simply by a PCI-e 2.0 HD 5850 card. Maybe I would stay home one Friday or Saturday night to save up money for the difference.

maciacia1

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011

:p wish that was an option but im only 16 and i got like 9 important exams coming up in 2-3 weeks time. but i will consider 5850 as an option.

@jaguarskx

yeah ill give em a call in the morning, thanks for all feedback, ill let u know if your interested