Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 / XP Networking

Last response: in Networking
September 9, 2010 2:54:06 AM

I'm moving my home PCs from Windows XP Professional SP3 to Windows 7. I have a wired/wireless network running on a D-Link WBR-2310 (Hardware Version: A1, Firmware Version: 1.05) running WPA2 security (SSID: Birch). Two desktop PCs (names SERVER and SAGETV) are connected to the router via Ethernet). All others are laptops connected via Wi-Fi.

SERVER is running Windows 7 Home Premium. SAGETV is running Windows XP Professional SP3.

The rest of the PCs are various laptops. X100E and T43 are running Windows 7 Professional.

I use the d:\My Documents folder on SERVER as a common repository with d:\ shared to everyone. SERVER has a HomeGroup established but none of the other Windows 7 systems connect to it.

This had worked fine until I built T43. It is new to me and had never run Windows XP. I built it from scratch running Windows 7 Professional. The wireless adapter is Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2915ABG. The driver is Intel dated 8/10/2007 version 9.1.2.10 downloaded from http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-58597.h... file http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/....

What happens is that T43 loses visibility to the rest of the network, both Windows XP systems as well as Windows 7 systems. This impacts a variety of protocols including file sharing and RDP.

This lack of connectivity is exposed when I attempt to open my desktop shortcut of "\\server\d\My Documents" or attempt to RDP to SAGETV.

A "good" network map looks like this:

A "bad" network map looks like this:

I've looked at the log for the D-Link and don't see any entries for T43 between when the network is good and when it fails.

To restore connectivity what I've found works is to go to Network Connections and Disable/Enable the wireless adapter.

A symptom that I believe is related is that even when T43 can eventually see SERVER sometimes it takes 10 seconds or more to open a file share on SERVER using Windows Explorer or even a File / Save dialog in an application.

I use T43 too far away from the D-Link router to connect via Ethernet.

For comparison, here's the Network Map from X100E:

X100E is connected to the network via wireless. I can't explain the solid line between X100E and the blue question mark "Unknown" but as that works dependably that's a problem for another day.

I have even exported the network definition from X100E and imported it on T43 with no change.

The TCP/IP environment seems good on both T43 and X100E. The IP addresses are assigned by DHCP. The IPv4 subnets are 255.255.255.0. The IPv4 Default Gateway, DHCP Server, DNS Server all point to the D-Link router on both systems.

Here is the Network Connection dialog from T43:

I apologize for the long post but I wanted to include as many details as I could and what I'd tried so far.

Any suggestions?

More about : windows networking

a b $ Windows 7
September 10, 2010 6:27:51 AM

[#0005ff]If resetting the wireless adapter makes it start properly, it may be that the system is turning it off to save power. I'm not familiar with that adapter - is it a USB dongle? If so, find the appropriate USB port in Device Manager and under the Power Management tab, untick "Allow the computer to turn off to save pwoer" button. You won't wreck the plant - promise.[/#000ff]
m
l
September 10, 2010 11:54:00 AM

I hadn't thought of that. It was set for "Maximum Performance." I left it alone.

I didn't mention that the Internet connectivity persists even when the local connectivity is diminished so ...

I had to roll back the Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2915ABG to 9.1.1.15. I couldn't connect to my printers on SERVER.

The saga continues.
m
l
September 17, 2010 1:21:19 AM

Time for an update. As noted in my last post, I had to roll back my Wi-Fi driver. Now everything works perfectly.

Don't you just love Windows!
m
l
!