Whick CPU to choose from?

imarex

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Hi.

I have decided that it's time to upgrade my old CPU.
I don't plan on buying anything expensive as my PC is mostly used for internet, movies and a few games. Not serious gaming.

I'm thinking about AMD Athlon II X3 455. It's 3.3GHz and there is a 4th core that can be unlocked.
Then there's AMD Phenom II X2 550/560/555.

Their cores can be unlocked. Unfortunately my MB doesn't have ACC. I'll buy a new one a bit later.

Now, the question. Which one would be better -
AMD Athlon II X3 455
or
AMD Phenom II X2 560

Aren't they practically the same? And what are the chances that the core that I'm trying to unlock is faulty? I guess I have heard that somewhere.

Correction: they MAY unlock. Obvious emphasis on may. Don't buy an X3 or X2 if you want an X4. I'm running on a Phenom II X2 555 now that didn't unlock even to an X3, but that's fine because I only bought it while waiting on Zambezi. I have a second system with i7-920 for more serious computing :p However, the X2 is a mighty CPU for its price. While mine didn't unlock, it did overclock to 4.2 GHz easily, I stopped tweaking there. It runs most games perfectly at 1050p. If you don't run games that require an X4 then you can save some money buying a CPU that has had cores disable. But do not buy one expecting to unlock. You'll just waste your money.

imarex

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Oh. Alright.

But what about comparing those two CPUs? I guess the Athlon 3x 450 would be better, right?