Balanced Video Card for Second Life

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 19, 2011 1:45:04 AM

Hello everyone! My current video card Radeon HD4670 256MB GDDR3 loads the scenes in Second Life so slow that I really need replace it with a new one. My broadband is around 6Mbps, so network is not the bottle neck. My current CPU is Athlon II X3 435 2.9GHz 3cores which I believe enough for the game online. I also have 4GB RAM, so please advise me how to update the video card with a balance performance with CPU and RAM, and control the budget under $80. Thank you guys! By the way, for the online game like Second Life, which plan is better for the video card-- 512 DDR5 or 1gb DDR3?

More about : balanced video card life

a b Î Nvidia
a c 148 U Graphics card
April 19, 2011 2:22:36 PM

From what I understand Nvidia cards do better in Second Life. I heard this from my buddy who mills around on there and has friends that do as well. While I don't like recommending old generation cards. For your limited budget a newer gen card isn't going to get you much. But here is a GTX 250 that is $55 after $30 MIR and has free shipping. This would play Second life GOOD. (*hick accent) However, we will want to make sure your power supply is up for the task. What are your PSU specs?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
April 20, 2011 2:40:55 AM

jay2tall said:
From what I understand Nvidia cards do better in Second Life. I heard this from my buddy who mills around on there and has friends that do as well. While I don't like recommending old generation cards. For your limited budget a newer gen card isn't going to get you much. But here is a GTX 250 that is $55 after $30 MIR and has free shipping. This would play Second life GOOD. (*hick accent) However, we will want to make sure your power supply is up for the task. What are your PSU specs?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hi jay2tall,

Thank you very much for your nice opinion and thoughtful recommendation. That GTX250 on the newegg is really a terrific choice for only $55 after $30 MIR with free shipping. Yet, as you already thought of, my power supply is not that good for this gorgeous card. How about I raise the budget to under $100? Would you please recommend a nVidia 400 serious card without 6 pin Power Connector required and with 512 DDR5 or 1gb DDR3? It couldn't be better if 1GB DDR5 is available :-)
Score
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a c 148 U Graphics card
April 20, 2011 1:26:14 PM

What model PC do you have? What are the Power Supply specs, model?
Score

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
a c 148 U Graphics card
April 20, 2011 1:35:21 PM

mbsf1979 said:
Would you please recommend a nVidia 400 serious card without 6 pin Power Connector required

I can not recommend anything like that which will make you happy. But what I can do is recommend that card and buy a new power supply. Assuming you have a standard size case that will accept a standard size power supply. Below is a combo deal from Newegg that includes that card and a really nice XFX 650W power supply. Each item has a $30 MIR. So while it's $149 up front, with MIR it's $89. That is a GOOD deal if you don't mind waiting for checks in the mail. What I would do it then keep your old PSU and put it back in your system if you would ever sell it. Keep the 650W as can support a pretty beefy card and use it in a future system. my power supplies usually see their way through a few systems before I retire them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
a b U Graphics card
April 20, 2011 2:28:20 PM

^+1
Score
April 21, 2011 4:00:54 AM

Best answer selected by mbsf1979.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
a c 169 U Graphics card
April 21, 2011 9:34:32 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score