Sign in with
Your question

Radeon HD 4350 Video Card Question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 19, 2011 1:59:48 AM

The Radeon HD 4350 Video Card says that it requires 1GB of system memory. If I only ave 512MB of sytem memory what will happen? I have tried to install the card and upon start up the fan works but my monitor receives no signal, I'm wondering if it could be due to the lack of system memory? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have an old system and my GEForce2 GST is on its way out and I need to either get this card to work or find another that will. I can and will buy an additional 512MB or RAM if necessary but I do not want to do so if it won't fix the problem. Any input will be greatly appreciated - and yes as you can tell by this posting I am a computer novice.
a c 141 U Graphics card
April 19, 2011 3:25:08 AM

Okay, what type of graphics slot do you have on your motherboard? If you used to have a GeForce 2 it's probably AGP or PCI. Check the packaging on the card and see what interface it uses, AGP or PCI Express. A PCI Express card will not work in a PCI or AGP slot. Even if you only have 512 MB of RAM you should still get a display, running the catalyst control center would probably be difficult under only 512 but the card should display.

Also go into your BIOS and check your chipset settings, make sure the primary graphics adapter is set to AGP and not integrated graphics.
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
April 19, 2011 3:31:57 AM

if you only have 512mb system memory your really need to upgrade that regardless. I dont think it should stop it from giving a display, but if the box says it requires 1gb then you should have 1gb or not buy it.
m
l
Related resources
April 19, 2011 11:40:23 AM

Supernova1138 said:
Okay, what type of graphics slot do you have on your motherboard? If you used to have a GeForce 2 it's probably AGP or PCI. Check the packaging on the card and see what interface it uses, AGP or PCI Express. A PCI Express card will not work in a PCI or AGP slot. Even if you only have 512 MB of RAM you should still get a display, running the catalyst control center would probably be difficult under only 512 but the card should display.

Also go into your BIOS and check your chipset settings, make sure the primary graphics adapter is set to AGP and not integrated graphics.

It is AGP and the card uses AGP. The computer is an old VPR Matrix. I uninstalled all of the GEForce drivers before putting the new graphics card in and still nothing. Should I install the new drivers before putting the new chip in? I will check the BIOS again, but I'm pretty sure it is set to AGP and not integrated graphics - as I checked the bios earlier upon suggestion from another novice like myself.

I very, very much appreciate your help.
m
l
a c 141 U Graphics card
April 19, 2011 7:28:34 PM

No you need the Graphics card installed in order to install the drivers. Windows should pick up some basic drivers that will let you boot up with a display. It's possible that the AGP 4350 might not be compatible with an older AGP slot. Can you check your computer's documentation and see what type of AGP slot it has. AGP 8x is the most recent revision. If you have AGP 2x or AGP 4x that might not be compatible with the newer card. Other than that, it's possible that there is something wrong with the card itself. If possible try your AGP 4350 in a different machine and see if it works.
m
l
April 22, 2011 12:47:27 AM

Supernova1138 said:
No you need the Graphics card installed in order to install the drivers. Windows should pick up some basic drivers that will let you boot up with a display. It's possible that the AGP 4350 might not be compatible with an older AGP slot. Can you check your computer's documentation and see what type of AGP slot it has. AGP 8x is the most recent revision. If you have AGP 2x or AGP 4x that might not be compatible with the newer card. Other than that, it's possible that there is something wrong with the card itself. If possible try your AGP 4350 in a different machine and see if it works.

Once again, I cannot thank you enough for your help. How would I go about determining whether my computer has AGP 2x, 4X etc...? Sorry, like I said, I'm a novice. I suspect this may be the problem...
m
l
a c 141 U Graphics card
April 22, 2011 5:25:10 AM

Do you have any sort of manual or documentation that came with the computer? Hopefully it would tell you which motherboard your machine has and tell you what slots are included. If you don't have that, try googling your computer's model number and see if you can find that information online. You could also open your case, and your motherboard should have labels on it indicating manufacturer and model number. If you can find that out, simply check the board's manufacturer's website for technical specs.
m
l
!