Sony Vaio - Clock Losing Time!

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hi,

I have a Sony Vaio PCG-R600HMP which has clock problems.

It loses hours and hours a day on the clock. The clock doesn't run slow,
instead it seems to jump backwards at times - by tens of minutes or even
hours in one fell swoop.

I have replaced the CMOS battery, and reinstalled XP Pro. The laptop is
running 24x7 from the mains.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Fred.
4 answers Last reply
More about sony vaio clock losing time
  1. Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Fred Finisterre wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a Sony Vaio PCG-R600HMP which has clock problems.
    >
    > It loses hours and hours a day on the clock. The clock doesn't run slow,
    > instead it seems to jump backwards at times - by tens of minutes or even
    > hours in one fell swoop.
    >
    > I have replaced the CMOS battery, and reinstalled XP Pro. The laptop is
    > running 24x7 from the mains.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Fred.

    I have the same problem with my machine. It can lose hours at a time, but
    the misalignment is only associated with the display -- the widget in the
    system tray. The CMOS clock is still well-aligned and I just need to
    refresh the clock daemon manually on occasions.

    Having said that, this only happens to me when I run heavy computation on my
    machine. Sometimes the memory gets used up entirely in the process. Are you
    doing anything resource-consuming?

    Roy
  2. Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Fred Finisterre wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a Sony Vaio PCG-R600HMP which has clock problems.
    >
    > It loses hours and hours a day on the clock. The clock doesn't run
    > slow, instead it seems to jump backwards at times - by tens of
    > minutes or even hours in one fell swoop.
    >
    > I have replaced the CMOS battery, and reinstalled XP Pro. The laptop
    > is running 24x7 from the mains.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Fred.

    Check Event Viewer logs for errors that might point to the source of the
    problem. Is the hardware clock correct when booting into BIOS setup?
  3. Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    "Fred Finisterre" <finisterre@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a Sony Vaio PCG-R600HMP which has clock problems.
    >
    > It loses hours and hours a day on the clock. The clock doesn't run slow,
    > instead it seems to jump backwards at times - by tens of minutes or even
    > hours in one fell swoop.
    >
    > I have replaced the CMOS battery, and reinstalled XP Pro. The laptop is
    > running 24x7 from the mains.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    download a utility that will sync your clock from a nntp time server at
    whatever interval you select.
  4. Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    > I have a Sony Vaio PCG-R600HMP which has clock problems.
    >
    > It loses hours and hours a day on the clock. The clock doesn't run slow,
    > instead it seems to jump backwards at times - by tens of minutes or even
    > hours in one fell swoop.
    >
    > I have replaced the CMOS battery, and reinstalled XP Pro. The laptop is
    > running 24x7 from the mains.

    When I boot into the BIOS and set the time, and stay in the BIOS, it doesn't
    advance at all. This must be wrong, yes? What could the problem be? There
    don't appear to be any BIOS updates available for my machine.

    Fred.

Laptops Sony Vaio