Sign in with
Your question

Cpu will not start

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
June 19, 2012 7:19:19 PM

While trying to install a second hard drive I pulled a cord out of my motherboard that has 4 small single connectors each with individual labels - L R G Mic. Not knowing the proper order I reconnected them to the pins they came out of.
Now my computer won't start. :cry: 
Near the port this cable came from I can see a small grid starting with LU0 followed below by RN95 and below LU1.

Can anyone help

More about : cpu start

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 19, 2012 7:57:04 PM

Hi there,

Did u plug back in the 4pin power cable?

4/8-pin CPU power 12v ATX connector.

m
l
Anonymous
June 19, 2012 9:40:17 PM

Anonymous said:
While trying to install a second hard drive I pulled a cord out of my motherboard that has 4 small single connectors each with individual labels - L R G Mic. Not knowing the proper order I reconnected them to the pins they came out of.
Now my computer won't start. :cry: 
Near the port this cable came from I can see a small grid starting with LU0 followed below by RN95 and below LU1.

Can anyone help

Hi Nikorr,
Yes that connector is plugged in. The machine is getting power, lights flash, but processor, fans, hard drive doesn't start. When I push the start button there is no sound.
m
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 19, 2012 9:42:08 PM

Make sure its the correct one. The 12v ATX connector.

And the 24pin.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 19, 2012 9:45:24 PM

4 small single connectors each with individual labels - L R G Mic.

Those are audio ports if they are in color.

m
l
Anonymous
June 19, 2012 9:46:13 PM

The ATX connector was never removed. and it is the only connector and port of its type on my board. I will give the 24pin another nudge.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 19, 2012 9:49:02 PM

Yes try that, the 24 pin should lock in.

m
l
June 19, 2012 9:58:51 PM

I think the cable that was unplugged is where you put the headers for power, hdd led, power led, etc... in which case you should look at your mobo's manual to determine the placement of each of the cables...

do the wires that came out look similar to this?
m
l
Anonymous
June 19, 2012 10:00:05 PM

nikorr said:
4 small single connectors each with individual labels - L R G Mic.

Those are audio ports if they are in color.

http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/13-131-255-08.jpg
This connector was attached to the motherboard, non- peripheral. But though it doesn't match the image you posted, it is probably some kind of audio port.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 19, 2012 10:03:44 PM

Is it like this?

m
l
June 19, 2012 10:03:49 PM

Did you maybe pull out the wire connecting the power switch to the motherboard (and connected it wrong)? Looks kinda like this

and they need to be connected at exactly the right place for everything to work. The manual of your motherboard should have the diagram you need (and you can probably download it off the manufacturer's website).

Also, did you turn on the switch on the PSU? I forget that all the time.

EDIT: I read now that the computer is getting power so it's not this.
m
l
June 19, 2012 10:04:48 PM

l r g mic sounds like the audio plug to the headphone/mic port on the front of the case... but if you're getting absolutely nothing when pressing the power button I would make sure the power button is plugged into the mobo...

(left right ground mic ;) )
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 19, 2012 10:06:29 PM

OK, post your specs...

CPU:
RAM: with link please.
Motherboard:
GPU:
PSU:
m
l
June 19, 2012 10:08:55 PM

lol... seems like we all had the same idea... a picture even cell phone quality... would help immensely in addition to the motherboard model (picture of the offending wires)
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 19, 2012 10:17:11 PM

Check your SATA cable. And the SATA power.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 19, 2012 10:19:08 PM

?
m
l
Anonymous
June 20, 2012 12:06:18 AM

slhpss said:
I think the cable that was unplugged is where you put the headers for power, hdd led, power led, etc... in which case you should look at your mobo's manual to determine the placement of each of the cables...

http://pctechguide.com/images/tutorials/mboard/power.jpg do the wires that came out look similar to this?

slhpss :-)
I know the cables in the image you posted. The ones I removed are similar in style but each rather than attaching to multiple pins, they are four, very tiny connectors, each connects to a single pin. They are all black, each individually labeled
m
l
June 20, 2012 12:15:01 AM

It is plain ans simple, LRG Mic is for Left, Right, Ground, Mic.
These wires either go to the Front panel or your Audio cards for the Audio signal. Get the info from you Motherboard manual and trace the wires back to what they come from, then reconnect them per the manual.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 20, 2012 12:16:37 AM

There is marking on the mobo, so u can place them right.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 20, 2012 12:18:28 AM

m
l
Anonymous
June 20, 2012 1:00:06 AM

Nikorr - here is what I know

Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz
Motherboard= P5RD1-VM
1Gb RAM - DDR or DDR2 - I don't know what link means with regards to RAM
GPU = ATI
PSU = 115 V/230V

The 4 connectors I am talking about are like the power switch but not. I know on the board where the came from. I am looking at the manual now. they came out of the TV - OUT 'box' :sweat: 
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 20, 2012 1:03:18 AM

OK, show us where is the place u took the cables from.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 20, 2012 1:04:58 AM

"The 4 connectors I am talking about are like the power switch but not. I know on the board where the came from. I am looking at the manual now. they came out of the TV - OUT 'box' "

OK, but that has nothing to do with CPU not "starting up".
m
l
Anonymous
June 20, 2012 1:18:51 AM

m
l
Anonymous
June 20, 2012 1:28:57 AM

2106685,23,499497 said:
"The 4 connectors I am talking about are like the power switch but not. I know on the board where the came from. I am looking at the manual now. they came out of the TV - OUT 'box' "

OK, but that has nothing to do with CPU not starting.[/quotemsg

The only other wires I removed that have turned out to be a pain to put back are the belong to the USB inputs on the edge of the board.
I don't expect they are causing the problem.

Here is a brief history the misadventure of this poor system....
I have 2 computers 1 XP the other Ubuntu. I wanted to have both available in the same box. The XP hard drive is not as healthy as I would like so I opted to 'add' the ubuntu drive to the xp box rather than researching how to partition the elderly xp drive.
- I completely removed the cables from the drives (IDE), I unscrambled the miles of wires coming from the power supply so that I had power connectors to both drives. In the process connectors to the CD/DVD drives were removed as well as the ones I have been worried about thus far.
I am a NUG - in general I know the basics of adding/removing drives, cards, RAM.
Before surgery my only concern was the hard drive crashing. Now the only thing that is clearly working are the LED's that light up when the machine is plugged in.
What could I be missing?
m
l
June 20, 2012 1:07:58 PM

Ok, this is a longshot but did you consider unplugging every single cable and connector and then plugging them back in? One by one of course. I've solved a surprising number of hardware problems by doing just that. Never found out what was wrong or learned anything, but sometimes it can work.
m
l
June 20, 2012 4:49:26 PM

The only thing I could think that might cause an issue with the l r g mic plugs is they may be in the wrong spot and causing a short which the mobo is sensing and preventing a startup (hopefully not frying anything)

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5RD1-VM/...

there is a link to your manual I suggest reading through it and verifying ALL cables as killerclick suggested.

EDIT: of course I link to the chinese version.... fixed it
m
l
Anonymous
June 21, 2012 7:06:09 AM

slhpss said:
The only thing I could think that might cause an issue with the l r g mic plugs is they may be in the wrong spot and causing a short which the mobo is sensing and preventing a startup (hopefully not frying anything)

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5RD1-VM/...

there is a link to your manual I suggest reading through it and verifying ALL cables as killerclick suggested.

EDIT: of course I link to the chinese version.... fixed it

:hello: 
Thank you so much for responding
I will check this out asap
m
l
!