Sign in with
Your question

Guys I need help and thats fast!

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
September 27, 2011 10:35:27 PM

First of alla, Im new here and apologize if I poster wrong.

My system specs:
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte 990-FXA UD3
PSU: Corsair tx 650w
CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 425 2,7GHz
GPU: ASUS Radeon 6870 HD
CHASSI: Cooler master elitr 430
SSD: Crucial M4 64 gb 2,5 SSD
HDD: western blue
RAM: Corsair xms3 1600MHZ
CPU COOLER: Cooler master hyper 212 plus with à gentle typhon 1450rpm
CHAASI FANA: 4 Of them the one that comes with the chassi in the front, two other blue LED fans, and the original hyp 212 fan

Now i mounted the mobo ram and
CPU Cooler and ssd everythig went fine except for today i was installin trying to unlock a core and OC then CPU and restarted lots of times. One time when i restarted uppdate 39/43 i thinl started to install i don't know why. Ok i was going to let it install but When i was waiting i turned om the
Lamp in my room with 4 differents lamps on it two of them Said boom and the power was off in my room and the room NeXT
Doors but not in the rest of the house. Got the power back on and started the PC it started but my screen keyboard and mouse didnt started. My screen just went in to power saving mode. After that i had to PRESS THE BUTTON on the chassi to turn the PC off. Then i started it again, i pressed to go in to bios om
Screen but instead Windows started and everything lookee fine until i tryied to re boot the PC then the same thing happened no keyboard no mouse no screen. Had to Holstein the BUTTON AGAIN. After that i started the PC again and
For a short time i saw pictures then it went off again. It stood like uppdating. I waited à long time didnt worked pressed
BUTTON AGAIN on chassi. Started PC everyting lookee normal this time i completely shuted Downs the PC in Windows and tryied to start again normal but didnt worked got the same thing
As ive Said before. Now It lookee like it was working last time i tryied again. I could turn on and off without problems. I Will see tomorrow. Now
to the big thing, could any of my compoments take damage from shutting down and restarting on the CHASSI button doing it
Like 5-8 Times'? Have My SSD been damaged? I got
Windows on that and the power shuted of as i Said before When i was installing updates, have something been ccorrupted? So to make it
Small have i lost any performance from My system When this things happened and has anything been damaged?

Sorry for bad language im on a iphone.

More about : guys fast

a b à CPUs
September 27, 2011 11:27:28 PM

Your post suggests that your PSU could have suffered some damage with the power surge. As for the repeated restarts, that would be the result of a failed OC.
You should know that not all X2's and X3's can be "unlocked" to X4's. Some of the CPUs with disabled cores have the cores disabled because they're not stable when enabled.
a c 152 à CPUs
September 27, 2011 11:46:04 PM

Yes, reset the bios to factory defaults and see if that resolves the boot issues.

yes some of your data could have been corrupted, you were in the middle of installing an update so the SSD was not idle... At worst you reinstall windows again which isn't a bad idea given your situation.

Now what was on in the other room that you blew the fuse or tripped the breaker?
Related resources
September 28, 2011 6:56:52 AM

Im in the PC now after restarting through button. Im starting to get really mad now, I can't reboot to get in to bios i think and dont dare to.
September 28, 2011 6:57:13 AM

How do i know if data is corrupted?
September 28, 2011 7:10:56 AM

T_T said:
Your post suggests that your PSU could have suffered some damage with the power surge. As for the repeated restarts, that would be the result of a failed OC.
You should know that not all X2's and X3's can be "unlocked" to X4's. Some of the CPUs with disabled cores have the cores disabled because they're not stable when enabled.

WHAT THE...i cant TURN OFF THE PC on the button now it just restarts?! If i TURN it off on the PSU it Will shut down but When i start the power on the PSU it starts to boot WHAT THE is happenening? Really frustrated...
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2011 7:32:13 AM

Just Switch it off from the mains, clear the CMOS, remove the battery on the Mobo.
Wait a few minutes, put the battery back in, and then try starting the rig. Get into the BIOS after that, don't change any new things other then the date , time and boot order. Leave the rest at defaults and continue into boot.
See if the system finished the unfinished work first in safe mode and then in normal startup.
Keep the OS disc close by if it needs to replace files that were corrupted during the abrupt Updating process.
September 28, 2011 7:36:20 AM

What do you mean switch of from mains? How do i clearing CMOS? Remove battery? What boot order should i have? And When should i go in to sade mode and not sure how?
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2011 7:55:08 AM

Mains means just unplug the computers PSU. The power cord that connects the computer to the power outlet in the wall.

Clear CMOS- By either shorting the jumpers designated on the Mobo , if there are any on that mobo, or a clear CMOS button might be there on it. Keep that pressed.
OK, there is a 2 Pin jumper at the right hand base of your board that says "CLR_CMOS" you need to short it for a few seconds using a screw driver, that will clear the CMOS, besure that the PC is not connected to the mains and is not on when you do this.

There is a Button Cell on the Mobo, you need to get that out. It is situated on the right hand side of the board under the RAM Slots.

Boot order should be your OS disc first if you want to check for problems.
After you get into the BIOS and restart after setting the date and time and boot order, the rest to default. Then you need to get into safe mode, that's the first time after a BIOS reset, let the system try to get on and wait for a few minutes after it gets into safe mode and finishes all the background processes. Then reboot into normal mode.

After the BIOS continues into boot you need to continuously keep pressing F8 to get the windows boot menu and select SAFE MODE from it.

September 28, 2011 8:30:10 AM

So remove motherboard battery that look like à coin, then clear cmos on the jumper with the battery out, replace battery after some minutes boot in to sade
Mode Wait for some time and re boot in to normal
Mode?
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2011 8:35:46 AM

Yes it looks like a coin.
No, first short the Jumpers with the battery in.
Then remove the battery and wait a few seconds and put it back in.
Yup then boot into safe mode let it settle down and then reboot into normal mode.
September 28, 2011 8:39:06 AM

Ok thanks. Do you think ive got any performance lose to My
System? Have My ssd been damaged
And slower or my motherboard?
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2011 8:46:53 AM

Only after you manage to complete the above steps will we be able to tell you if anything is damaged or not.
We'll help you run a few benchmarks and that'll tell us if the power surge caused any real physical damage.
First thing is you need to get that rig to perform at it's default right. then the next steps.
September 28, 2011 8:50:49 AM

Ok thanks i will try When im home. But why did My PC restart When i turned on the power on the PSU and i couldnt shut it down on the button it just shuted off for 1-2 seconds and then started again why?
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2011 8:57:45 AM

Could be the temps soared to high, could be a lesser voltage was supplied to the Mobo, there could be a quite a few reasons to it, depending on how the system reacted to the power surge.
Not shutting down when you press the power button is pretty common, since the BIOS does have a setting in it that tells the action which is taken when the power button is pressed. It usually has 2 mode
One is instant power off
and the other is it'll power off after 4 Seconds

There are different ways to use the power button too, you can press it once, and the system when on will go off after a normal shutdown. And you can keep it pressed continuously so the system just cuts power, no normal shutdown process is followed.
Since the BIOS is all mixed up now after the power surge, you need to get it back in order.:) 
September 28, 2011 9:04:24 AM

Ok Will remove power cable reset cmos remove battery some minutes start PC boot in to safe mode. But the thing is there is no
More updates to install since ive already manager to boot the PC sometimes i got lucky after pressing button and screen keyboard and mouse worked. But ok i Will still do it then i come back here and maybe you could tell me some benchmarks so i can see if anything is damaged then. If it still wont worl what to do then?
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2011 9:07:52 AM

Don't speculate..... just do it when you get back to your rig and we'll catch on from then on. Worrying isn't going to solve the problems, it'll stop you from thinking logically.
September 28, 2011 9:10:26 AM

Ok thanks. Im just so worried ive damaged somwthing just got new stuff....Also i got à phenom II 955 is it worth to use or Wait for bulldozer? Otherwise i will send it back and get money back.
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2011 9:17:06 AM

Use the Phenom, send the Athlon Back and wait for the Bulldozer :) 
Or check the system first if everything is fine or not. Then we'll decide what we can keep and what we can send back.
September 28, 2011 9:28:40 AM

The athlon is from My old hp PC so cant send it back. Got two choices use the phenom or send it back and buy bulldozer on launch.
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2011 9:30:42 AM

Before you send the phenom back check your rig to see if everything is ok. Then we'll decide if it's wise to send the phenom back and wait for the bulldozer.
September 28, 2011 9:36:10 AM

Ok, btw my CPU is 25grades in IDLE and a few more in load good or bad?
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2011 9:37:49 AM

Good
September 28, 2011 9:44:00 AM

I will be playing games primary. Maybe i should send it back and buy
À 1055t and overclock it since BF3 Wille be using more than 4 cores?
September 28, 2011 12:38:26 PM

6core and 1055t or 955 for games? Ive heats tjat future games will use more than 4 cores like BF3 or just Wait for bulldozer?
September 28, 2011 2:30:39 PM

alyoshka said:
Good

Ok i got no jumper but the battery is out. How long should it be out? Also after i replaced the battery just re boot like normal?
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2011 2:32:51 PM

You need to read the whole write up we had again.
Sorry I'm not going to be repeating the steps to you again.

You mean you don't have jumper pins on the board? If that is the case you'll see 2 Solder points in the same place where the pins are supposed to be named as CLR_CMOS. Short those 2 using a flat screw driver.

And then start the PC in safe mode first.
September 28, 2011 2:47:15 PM

I m on my PC right now, I just took out the battery for a few minutes booted up, went in to bios changed date and time, booted up normal and now it looks fine i think, or do i still need to short those 2 CLR_CMOS pins?
September 28, 2011 2:55:09 PM

alyoshka said:
You need to read the whole write up we had again.
Sorry I'm not going to be repeating the steps to you again.

You mean you don't have jumper pins on the board? If that is the case you'll see 2 Solder points in the same place where the pins are supposed to be named as CLR_CMOS. Short those 2 using a flat screw driver.

And then start the PC in safe mode first.

I will be shuting down my PC to install the last fan so far going on. Im going on footbal practice tonight can you tell me a good benchmark that checks my system when im gone?
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2011 3:41:58 PM

No.... and benchmarks are to be done with you sitting in front of the rig observing temps and load.
September 28, 2011 3:45:53 PM

Went fine everything seems to work. Wich benchmark and how long?
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2011 5:39:39 PM

You should download, install, and run Prime95. Run the small fft and blend mode tests; about an hour each. These tests will stress your CPU, and in the process of doing so, your CPU temps will reach levels that they normally wouldn't.

If your CPU temps get to high, your computer will crash, that is, it will shut down or restart without you touching it. Also, if there is any instability within any of the three cores, your computer may crash. A log is automatically created when you install Prime95. This log is called "stress" and it's a text file. This file is in the same directory/path that you installed Prime95. Should anything go wrong, review this log file.

Should your system remain stable during the stress testing, slowly - and by slowly, I mean one step at a time - retry your OC adventure. Once you're done configuring your OC settings, run prime95 again, but this time run it for at least a couple of hours.

Ideally, if your system can handle 100% load on the CPU for 2+ hours, it should be able to handle anything you throw at it. A lot of the well-known pros around these forums will tell you to run Prime95 for 24 hours, but just know that the longer you can run Prime95 with your system stable, the more certain you can be that your OC is safe.
September 28, 2011 5:42:46 PM

Ok thanks. But is there anything that checks whole system? Since it might have taken damage maybe from shutting down on button. But when im overclocking amd athlon i need to raise to FSB?
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2011 5:49:07 PM

As far as I know, there isn't any software that will do a system diagnosis. Prime95 and OCCT are designed to check the CPU's stability. HW Monitor just monitors your system temps. MemTest86+ is a DOS-based RAM checking software. You can do a S.M.A.R.T. test to check your HDD(s). To check the PSU, you should use a digital multimeter.
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2011 5:55:05 PM

Cappe said:
But when im overclocking amd athlon i need to raise to FSB?

Overclocking can be done in either of three ways:

1. Auto OC - I don't recommend this
2. Raise the FSB
3. Raise the multiplier

AMD BE CPUs have "unlocked" multipliers. What this means is that you can raise the multiplier higher than the stock value. Non-BE CPUs can only have their multipliers lowered, so that pretty much leaves raising the FSB as the only viable option to OC.

When you retry your OC, start by manually configuring your RAM to the specs shown on the side of the RAM (on the stickers). Next, raise your FSB by 5 MHz at a time. Do this until Windows doesn't load. From this point, either lower the FSB by 1 MHz at a time until Windows loads, or start adjusting other settings, like Northbridge frequency or multiplier (depending on how your BIOS works) or vcore voltage.

As much as possible, you want to keep your CPU voltages as low as possible, so don't mess with vcore unless you have no other choice.
September 28, 2011 6:06:11 PM

T_T said:
Overclocking can be done in either of three ways:

1. Auto OC - I don't recommend this
2. Raise the FSB
3. Raise the multiplier

AMD BE CPUs have "unlocked" multipliers. What this means is that you can raise the multiplier higher than the stock value. Non-BE CPUs can only have their multipliers lowered, so that pretty much leaves raising the FSB as the only viable option to OC.

When you retry your OC, start by manually configuring your RAM to the specs shown on the side of the RAM (on the stickers). Next, raise your FSB by 5 MHz at a time. Do this until Windows doesn't load. From this point, either lower the FSB by 1 MHz at a time until Windows loads, or start adjusting other settings, like Northbridge frequency or multiplier (depending on how your BIOS works) or vcore voltage.

As much as possible, you want to keep your CPU voltages as low as possible, so don't mess with vcore unless you have no other choice.

I got a AMD Athlon x3 425 2,7GHz thinking about using my Phenom 955 that i got or send it back to buy a 1055t since BF3 can use 6 cores. If i send the phenom back i will buy bulldozer on launch otherwise i will need to stick with phenom 955 to next summer, will it hold for games? But when i raise the FSB my RAM raises to, and i got corsair xms3 2x2 GB RAM.
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2011 6:39:41 PM

The 955 is enough for today's games, especially since most games are GPU reliant. Still, it all depends on what games we're talking about. Crysis is arguably the most graphics-intensive game. Crysis 2 doesn't demand as much, but it's still pretty hefty.

"But when i raise the FSB my RAM raises to"

Yes. Your RAM speed is determined by the bus speed multiplied by the RAM ratio/multiplier. So if you increased your FSB, you'd be overclocking your RAM too.
This means that after increasing your FSB, just lower your RAM frequency to regain stability.

A typical FSB OC looks like this:

1. Raise FSB by 5 MHz until Windows won't load
2. Lower RAM frequency by one step. Retry loading Windows.
3. Depending what your FSB is at, lower RAM again or lower NB.
4. Continue raising FSB.
5. Raise vcore.

Just be careful not to exceed 1.5V on vcore.
September 28, 2011 6:49:27 PM

Well my ram will get up at like over 2000Mhz and its 1600MHz can they be damaged? Or just wont load? Maybe i should keep them at 1333Mhz and everytime i use FSB i just lower the RAM and then boot in to windows?
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2011 7:30:10 PM

The only you can damage your RAM, other than purposely breaking it, is by overvolting. If you look in your BIOS, you'll see that you can specify how much voltage to send to your DIMM slots. If you set the voltage too high, you'll cook your RAM.

To give you an example of how fast your RAM will be operating, consider this:

AMD CPUs stock/default FSB is 200 MHz. Your RAM, if it's at 1600 MHz has a ratio of 8:1. (200 MHz x 8 = 1600 MHz). So, let's say you raised your FSB to 220 MHz. With your RAM still set to 1600 MHz, the multiplier is still at 8. So, that means the new formula is 220 x 8 = 1760 MHz for your RAM.

At 220 MHz, your Northbridge (NB) is 2200 MHz. This is known because your default NB multi is 10. What this means is that if your system is unstable at 220 MHz FSB (remember, this is just an example) then the two areas to adjust first would be RAM or NB. Without raising the voltage to the NB, you'll want to keep the NB frequency as close to default as possible. Similarly, if your RAM is not able to operate at 1760 MHz, you'll want to lower the frequency or multiplier (depending on how your BIOS allows adjustments).
September 28, 2011 7:53:51 PM

Ok so if to high MHz on RAM just lower the frequency and lower north bridge? What does north bridge do? And why keep it as close to defualt as possible?
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2011 8:20:03 PM

"Ok so if to high MHz on RAM just lower the frequency and lower north bridge? "
yes.

"What does north bridge do?"
In an effort not to reinvent the wheel, here's a good explanation from wikipedia:
"The northbridge typically handles communications among the CPU, in some cases RAM, and PCI Express (or AGP) video cards, and the southbridge."

"why keep it as close to defualt as possible?"
The FSB ties into the CPU, NB, and RAM. When you change the FSB, it affects the other hardware tied into it. Like the CPU and RAM, the NB requires voltage to operate. In order for it to run at higher frequencies, more voltage may be required; however, raising voltages should always be the last step to take, except when setting RAM. This is to avoid overvolting and the damage that can happen if you overvolt too high.
September 28, 2011 9:03:58 PM

Cappe said:
Well my ram will get up at like over 2000Mhz and its 1600MHz can they be damaged? Or just wont load? Maybe i should keep them at 1333Mhz and everytime i use FSB i just lower the RAM and then boot in to windows?

T_T said:
"Ok so if to high MHz on RAM just lower the frequency and lower north bridge? "
yes.

"What does north bridge do?"
In an effort not to reinvent the wheel, here's a good explanation from wikipedia:
"The northbridge typically handles communications among the CPU, in some cases RAM, and PCI Express (or AGP) video cards, and the southbridge."

"why keep it as close to defualt as possible?"
The FSB ties into the CPU, NB, and RAM. When you change the FSB, it affects the other hardware tied into it. Like the CPU and RAM, the NB requires voltage to operate. In order for it to run at higher frequencies, more voltage may be required; however, raising voltages should always be the last step to take, except when setting RAM. This is to avoid overvolting and the damage that can happen if you overvolt too high.
ok so i should raise the fsb with 5mhz and then entré Windows then reboot and repeat until blue screen then what? Sorry if im asking things ive already asked. But i want to bw sure since its the first time. Ok now i wonder about core unlocking to My bios only show core 0 core 1 core 2 no core 3? It should be showing shouldnt it? Even with core unlock its not showing why?
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2011 10:21:10 PM

Yes, raise the FSB by 5 MHz at a time, until Windows doesn't load. You may find that you won't even get a BSOD; sometimes after exiting the BIOS, the system will just do a restart loop.

As for unlocking the 4th core, just enable Advanced Clock Calibration. But, as I mentioned before, not all CPU's can be converted.
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2011 4:06:27 AM

Use PassMark for a complete PC check, it'll try it's best from what software can do stress and test each electrical component to it's max for you and then give you a report on the status of your rig.
September 29, 2011 1:42:34 PM

T_T said:
Yes, raise the FSB by 5 MHz at a time, until Windows doesn't load. You may find that you won't even get a BSOD; sometimes after exiting the BIOS, the system will just do a restart loop.

As for unlocking the 4th core, just enable Advanced Clock Calibration. But, as I mentioned before, not all CPU's can be converted.

I've searched for Advanced Clock Calibration but don't find It. Do you know where I may find It?
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2011 5:37:46 PM

According to this site:
http://www.manualowl.com/m/Gigabyte/GA-990FXA-UD3/Manua...
your manual shows the feature as "CPU Unlock". This feature is in the Advanced BIOS tab.

The PassMark BurnIn Test software is good, but can it test the PSU? Still, it's very valuable, especially with PassMark's "no nonsense licensing"; buy once, and use it for as long as you'd like on any computer.
September 29, 2011 9:15:29 PM

T_T said:
According to this site:
http://www.manualowl.com/m/Gigabyte/GA-990FXA-UD3/Manua...
your manual shows the feature as "CPU Unlock". This feature is in the Advanced BIOS tab.

The PassMark BurnIn Test software is good, but can it test the PSU? Still, it's very valuable, especially with PassMark's "no nonsense licensing"; buy once, and use it for as long as you'd like on any computer.

Ive turned It on but still only see core 0 core 1 core 2 i think why? Even if my cores wont be stable It should still show?
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2011 11:08:05 PM

No, not true. Three cores are showing because only three are functional. Some CPUs with disabled cores can enable said disabled core(s) and have it fully functional. Some can enable the core(s) and said core(s) may be unstable. Some may not be able to enable core(s), period.

This is primarily why those who wish to have a quad core CPU should just invest the extra money into a bonafide quad core, as opposed to attempting to "unlock" a "hidden" core. With the X6's out now, the X4's have had their prices drop considerably.

September 30, 2011 9:07:47 AM

T_T said:
No, not true. Three cores are showing because only three are functional. Some CPUs with disabled cores can enable said disabled core(s) and have it fully functional. Some can enable the core(s) and said core(s) may be unstable. Some may not be able to enable core(s), period.

This is primarily why those who wish to have a quad core CPU should just invest the extra money into a bonafide quad core, as opposed to attempting to "unlock" a "hidden" core. With the X6's out now, the X4's have had their prices drop considerably.

Ok thanks. I dind't I would be able to It but i can play on high settings wich is kinds crazy i hold 30-80 FPS In BF3 beta.
!