Upgrade Dell Optiplex 745

Status
Not open for further replies.

joevans1

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Hello,

can i upgrade the CPU in my Dell 745 Optiplex (Pentium R 3.4 GHz) and if so what compenents will I need to do so (CPU, Motherboards, etc). Thanks John

joevans1

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

I upgraded to the core 2 6700 and it improved a little, not much. Still tends to stull when i load up on with 6 to 9 windows open. Which I guess is normal.

Question, i thought 4 GB of RAM was the realistic limit running a 32 bit system? Does all that RAM make a difference?

Thanks!!!

dee9dog

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011

You have the standard MoBo in your dell and it runs a Core 2 Quad?

Windows 7 if a 64 bit OS and it can recognize more than 4GBs of RAM.

I would suggest anyone with Windows 7 that intends to do serious gaming get at least 2x 4GBs. RAM is really cheap so there isn't a good reason not to fit more than 4 GBs in a Windows 7 computer.

As for the other question, I wouldn't upgrade anything except maybe a video card in the DELL.

Save your money for an entirely new core. Cores are best upgraded as one "piece" so a Motherboard, Processor, and RAM should all come at once.

You can get a Phenom 2 x4 840, M4N68T-M LE V2, and 2x 2GB Crucial Ballistix core for well under $100 if you are thinking of just upgrading the whole core and you are on a budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.