Closed

Upgrade Dell Optiplex 745

Hello,

can i upgrade the CPU in my Dell 745 Optiplex (Pentium R 3.4 GHz) and if so what compenents will I need to do so (CPU, Motherboards, etc). Thanks John
8 answers Last reply
More about upgrade dell optiplex
  1. Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Kentsfield or Quad Q6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz would drop right in and work. Just be warned that there is a Wolfdale E6700 (3.2Ghz) that will not work.
  2. To be honest if your looking for more gaming power you should be able to play Modern Warfare at medium settings if you plonk a $80 Radeon 6670!!
  3. Thank you!!!
  4. Actually this Dell Optiplex 745 can support a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 or and Q6700. I own one of these machines with a Q6600 in it with Windows 7 and 8GB of RAM and it runs great!
  5. CharlieWalkerTX said:
    Actually this Dell Optiplex 745 can support a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 or and Q6700. I own one of these machines with a Q6600 in it with Windows 7 and 8GB of RAM and it runs great!

I upgraded to the core 2 6700 and it improved a little, not much. Still tends to stull when i load up on with 6 to 9 windows open. Which I guess is normal.

Question, i thought 4 GB of RAM was the realistic limit running a 32 bit system? Does all that RAM make a difference?

Thanks!!!
  6. CharlieWalkerTX said:
    Actually this Dell Optiplex 745 can support a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 or and Q6700. I own one of these machines with a Q6600 in it with Windows 7 and 8GB of RAM and it runs great!

You have the standard MoBo in your dell and it runs a Core 2 Quad?
  7. dont upgarde or i would say waste money in this pc buy a custom made pc
  8. Windows 7 if a 64 bit OS and it can recognize more than 4GBs of RAM.

I would suggest anyone with Windows 7 that intends to do serious gaming get at least 2x 4GBs. RAM is really cheap so there isn't a good reason not to fit more than 4 GBs in a Windows 7 computer.

As for the other question, I wouldn't upgrade anything except maybe a video card in the DELL.

Save your money for an entirely new core. Cores are best upgraded as one "piece" so a Motherboard, Processor, and RAM should all come at once.

You can get a Phenom 2 x4 840, M4N68T-M LE V2, and 2x 2GB Crucial Ballistix core for well under $100 if you are thinking of just upgrading the whole core and you are on a budget.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Optiplex Dell