Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading Pegatron M2N78-LA Violet6-GL8E Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
June 19, 2012 10:11:42 PM

Hello, it seems my motherboard needs to be replaced, and I'm trying to find a suitable upgrade, or even anything decently priced that's still compatible with my HP Pavillion P6142P. I'd rather not spend $200 on the same motherboard.. used. Thank you.
a c 435 V Motherboard
June 19, 2012 11:35:10 PM

With an hp installation of windows, you'll need a new windows coa for any non hp motherboard, so I would go low end to leave some money for windows. Also check craigslist for used hp boards or new copies of windows 7. Your old board is micro atx; if you find a used hp board reasonably priced, be sure it includes the backplate.
I use biostar: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
June 20, 2012 12:03:15 AM

I'm pretty hardware dumb, so forgive me. Any Micro ATX motherboard will be compatible with all of my current specs? I haven't changed anything out of this; it is all the original RAM, CPU, etc. That biostar will work out with everything as well, just need a new copy of Windows?
Related resources
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 20, 2012 1:44:09 AM

hayden748 said:
I'm pretty hardware dumb, so forgive me. Any Micro ATX motherboard will be compatible with all of my current specs? I haven't changed anything out of this; it is all the original RAM, CPU, etc. That biostar will work out with everything as well, just need a new copy of Windows?

When u will be activating the windows, it wont, so choose the phone option and say that the old mobo died.

MS allows changes if the mobo replaces similar or the same one.
June 20, 2012 3:38:23 AM

Ah okay, sounds good. I'm just afraid of compatibility issues with buying a different motherboard.
!