Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Moved into a room upstairs with a roommate, need help with setup.

Tags:
  • Routers
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
September 9, 2010 7:08:10 AM

Hi, everyone. I recently moved into the upstairs portion of a pretty large house. My roommate had an existing wireless network with which I have had quite a bit of problems.

Downstairs he has his desktop PC wired to a Netgear WGT624 v3 wireless 108 Mbps router. Additionally, he has a PS3 and laptop that connect wirelessly down there.

Upstairs I have my desktop connected wirelessly with a Linksys AE1000 (bought it because it was a new model with Wireless-n capabilities). My girlfriend also has a laptop and I also have a PS3, all wireless seeing as the router is downstairs.

Our ISP is a local vendor called RCOM. This is their website. We have the Basic package and I was considering asking my roommate if he'd be willing to split the extra $20 with me to jump up to the Extreme package.

http://www.rcom-ne.com/index.php?option=com_content&tas...

Here are my problems:
-The internet has been spotty at times and my download speeds have never exceeded 380 kbps and is very sporadic, at times dipping to .5 kbps.

-When trying to play PS3 online I get a fair amount of lag.

-With my PS3 I also wish to stream media from my computer and my 1.5 TB HDD, but it is proving to be a tall order. The only way I have gotten it to work was to use a free program called PS3 Media Server. It worked well when I got it to find my PS3, but out of about 20 attempts I have only gotten it to work 2 times.

I came to the conclusion that the router is probably outdated and being overworked, so I was doing research and I have settled on the Linksys WRT610N (read many great reviews and it will be compatible with my Linksys AE1000). My main question is, if I buy this router, what is the best way to set up my network to ensure that my needs are met and I get the best speeds and performance without compromising my roommate's use? Would I need to just completely replace his router, put my new router downstairs wired to his desktop and continue to use my Linksys AE1000 with my desktop? Or would I just add the new router and use two routers on our network? If I did that would I put the new router upstairs in my room or would I have to put it downstairs with the old one? Will I even need the Linksys AE1000 once I get the new router?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance. :) 

More about : moved room upstairs roommate setup

September 9, 2010 2:23:18 PM

Are you connecting wirelessly to the dowstairs router? How far away is it from your computers? The issue is that you are probably just getting a very weak wireless signal. Even if you replace the router, you may end up with a weak signal. WiFi signals degrade very quickly when there are physical barriers between them like walls, and they also have more of a donought shaped signal coming out of the antenna, so the side to side range is a lot more than the up and down range.

You may need to run a cable up to your floor from the router, and then connect a wireless access point to that if you want good results.
m
l
September 9, 2010 5:39:09 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Are you connecting wirelessly to the dowstairs router? How far away is it from your computers? The issue is that you are probably just getting a very weak wireless signal. Even if you replace the router, you may end up with a weak signal. WiFi signals degrade very quickly when there are physical barriers between them like walls, and they also have more of a donought shaped signal coming out of the antenna, so the side to side range is a lot more than the up and down range.

You may need to run a cable up to your floor from the router, and then connect a wireless access point to that if you want good results.

Yeah, I'm connecting wirelessly to the router downstairs. However, my computer almost always says the signal strength is Excellent. Right now it does say Fair, but a lot of the time I am having problems even with an Excellent signal.
m
l
Related resources
September 9, 2010 6:13:00 PM

The signal strength is not always a good indecation of how good the connection is. You can have lots of errors in the packets, intermittent slowdows, etc...

If you want a solid connection you will need either a good router with an upgraded external antenna or a physical cable to your area.
m
l
September 9, 2010 8:19:34 PM

hang-the-9 said:
The signal strength is not always a good indecation of how good the connection is. You can have lots of errors in the packets, intermittent slowdows, etc...

If you want a solid connection you will need either a good router with an upgraded external antenna or a physical cable to your area.

So if I buy a new router would I be able to put it in my room or would it have to go downstairs?
m
l
September 9, 2010 8:36:55 PM

zack_of_steel said:
So if I buy a new router would I be able to put it in my room or would it have to go downstairs?

The Router would have to go wherever the modem of the service provider is, or a cable will need to be run from that modem to the router if you are placing the router in your room.

The setup would be:
ISP Modem > Router > cable to your area > wireless access point hardware > your computers, etc...
OR ISP Modem > cable to your area > Router > your computers, etc...
OR ISP Modem > Router > add-on WiFi signal boosting antenna oriented to your room > your computers, etc...

Did that make sence? If you sketch it out with pretty pictures it's easier to diagram than in text :-)
m
l