Comparison - Need Suggestions

Alexander Moore

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Okay, I'm getting one brand new system and I'm going all out on a $6,000 budget. I'm getting a laptop because I'm an international traveler and desktop is just outright impossible and I like to be able to take my computer around anyway.

Anyway, here are the two systems I've built. Please give me your advice on which one to choose.

System 1

Manufacturer : Origin

Model : EON 17-S

Laptop Exterior : TrueFire

Chassis and Primary Display : EON17-S platform with B3 stepping - 1920 x 1080 17.3" LED Backlit Glossy Screen

Processor : Overclocked Intel Extreme Edition Core i7-2920XM Quad-Core Processor (4.1GHz - 4.8GHz with Turbo Boost), 8MB Cache

Graphics Card : Single 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580M Overclocked (2GB of Total GFX)

Memory : 16GB Kingston HyperX Dual-Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 4 X 4GB

Hard Drive : 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS - Solid State Drive

Optical Drive : 6X BD-R Blu-ray Burner/8X DVD+/-R/2.4X +DL Super-Multi Drive w/Power DVD 11 Ultra - 3D Blu Ray

Audio : Integrated High-Definition Audio with 4 Channel support

Networking : Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 Wireless dual-band module - Up to 450 Mbps

Web Camera : Built-in 2.0 Megapixel Video Camera

Operating System : Genuine MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition

Warranty : 3 Year Part Replacement and Free Shipping Warranty with DVD image and Lifetime Support/Labor

No Dead Pixel Guarantee : No Dead Pixel Guarantee

ORIGIN Maximum Protection Shipping Process : ORIGIN Wooden Crate Armor

Total : $5,000 - $5,500 (With my extras)

System 2

Manufacturer : Origin

Model : EON 17

Laptop Exterior : TrueFire

Chassis and Primary Display : EON17 platform with Intel Core i7 and 1920 x 1080 Full HD 17.3" LED Backlit Glossy Screen

Processor : Intel Core i7 990X 3.46GHz LGA 1366 Hex-Core Processor (12MB L3 Cache)

Graphics Card : Dual 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580M Overclocked (4GB of Total GFX) w/Dual 300watt power adapters

Memory : 12GB Triple-Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 3 X 4GB (trying to find a way to use 12/16GB of 1600mhz but not much luck so far)

Hard Drive : 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS - Solid State Drive

Optical Drive : 6X BD-R Blu-ray Burner/8X DVD+/-R/2.4X +DL Super-Multi Drive w/Power DVD 11 Ultra - 3D Blu Ray

Audio : Integrated High-Definition Audio with 4 Channel support

Networking : Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 Wireless dual-band module - Up to 450 Mbps

Bluetooth : Internal Bluetooth Module

SuperSpeed USB 3.0 : Two SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Ports

Media Card Reader : 9-in-1 Media Card Reader

Finger Print Reader : Integrated Biometric Fingerprint Reader

Web Camera : Built-in 2.0 Megapixel Video Camera

Operating System : Genuine MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition

Warranty : 3 Year Part Replacement and Free Shipping Warranty with DVD image and Lifetime Support/Labor

No Dead Pixel Guarantee : No Dead Pixel Guarantee

ORIGIN Maximum Protection Shipping Process : ORIGIN Wooden Crate Armor

Total : $6,000 - $6,500 (With my extras)

I'm also considering asking about 1200p screens, but I dunno how that will go really.

Feedback will be much appreciated!

Thanks! ^_^

- Alex (new member)

Alexander Moore

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Yes but some of the options kind of get me thinking what is so much better about the EON 17 that the EON 17-S doesn't have.

17-S is cheaper

17-S isn't as big

17-S isn't as heavy

17-S has better memory

17-S, though not having the desktop processor, can be overclocked to 4.1 ~ 4.8Ghz

-----------

I mean really, by the looks of it, the only two thing that the 17 has that the 17-S doesn't have is dual graphics cards and the desktop processor, because of the chipset differences, so I'm just wondering is having two graphics units and the desktop processor really all that much better compared to the other ups you get with the S?