$350 Family Computer

I've been researching a while now and had to reduce my budget. :(
See what you think.


Approximate Purchase Date: Hopefully by July 9

Budget Range: $350 Before Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (Portal, Sims 3), Surfing internet, i-Tunes, a little video from the games, movies, t.v., usually several things going on at once.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, os, hard drive (amazon gc- will get samsung spinpoint f3)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, amazon

Country of Origin: U.S.A

Parts Preferences: AMD processors are the only option to fit in the budget, lightscribe optical, Zalman case

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1024x768

Additional Comments: I really like the Zalman Z9+ case I chose; I'll have it a long time. I know I can save some money getting something else but I really like this.
This Christmas is when I'll purchase a graphics card- not sure what- maybe 6850- if the psu can handle that. Only light gaming until then.
In a couple of years upgrade to Bulldozer.
If there is another route, a better route, please don't hesitate to offer it. Can't stretch the budget more than $10 though.

Okay then, onward:
AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition Heka 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor HDZ720WFK3DGI - OEM
combo with:
1x CORSAIR CAFA50 120mm CPU Cooler ($15.00 MIR) $98.90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.677733
The cooler is really big but it's combo'd and has a MIR which brings it down to $ 18.91. I know nothing about cpu coolers. I think it will fit the case.

ASRock 880G PRO3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard $99.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157243

Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory w/ Red LEDs $29.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148334

Rosewill Green Series RG430-S12 430W Continuous @40°C, 80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7,i5" Power Supply $39.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182202

LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS224-06 LightScribe Support - OEM $20.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106333

ZALMAN Z9 Plus Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $69.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811235027

Total: $359.85 before Newegg new customer discount and MIR.

Thanks for your help.
31 answers Last reply
More about family computer
  1. I like this case just as an alternate option plus i think it is $80+ on the egg:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coolermaster-Storm-Scout-Ultimate-Gaming/12017715

    I didn't even know newegg still sold the phenom II x3 but that's cheaper than an athlon II x3 so it is a great deal.

    If you can set up a new newegg account for a family member or something you can save ten bucks with promo code newcustomer10.

    I'd switch to one of these power supplies or invest a little more money into the PSU:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817815007
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

    Amazon relisted the hyper 212+ for $29.xx you have to go under other sellers and pick amazon though. I think it is a little better than the H50 considering it can be mounted crossflow or updraft and comes with a PWM fan where the H50 does not.
  2. I'd like to suggest and alternate Sandy Bridge based build. Hope you can afford it :

    CPU & Motherboard : $175- i3-2100 & Biostar H61MH (Capable processor)
    review of i3-2100

    RAM : $34- Kingston Value RAM(2X 2GB) 1333Mhz

    Power Supply : $45- RoseWill Green Series 430 (Same)

    Case: $30- Xigmatek Asguard

    Optical Drive: $20- Asus

    Graphic Card: $70 -Sapphire Radeon 5670 (Cheap and should run any game properly at that resolution)

    Total(excluding rebate): 369 USD

    Rebates: 20 USD

    I had to make accommodation for a graphic card, by switching the case.
    If you have problems affording this build, then :
    $60- Sapphire 5570
    $60- EVGA gt430

    That should save $10
  3. Pentium Sandy Bridge? it will have better upgrade options than the AM3 chipset, unless you can get your hands on Am3+, and if your wanted, i'm sure there is a cheaper case around. anyway nuff said here's my build (no GPU)

    CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.6Ghz @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116399

    Mobo: Asrock H61M/U3S3 @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157236&Tpk=Asrock%20H61M%2fU3S3

    Ram: Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 4GB @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146740&cm_re=Mushkin_Enhanced_Silverline_4GB-_-20-146-740-_-Product

    Case: cheapy @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811322020

    PSU: Corsair CX-430 @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026&Tpk=corsair%20CX%20430

    HDD: Samsung spinpoint F3 tb @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185&cm_re=samsung_spinpoint-_-22-152-185-_-Product

    Disk: anything $20 @ www.somewhere.com

    Total: about $360

    Side note: you can get better CPUs if you want to spend the extra cash, (i3-2100)
    the Pentium is slower on clock speed, but clock speed isn't everything, the case i recommended is lacking features but its cheaaappppp. IMO i think a Tt Dokker would be nice if you could afford it (and you don't care about its looks)

    the reason why i chose this mobo is because it has USB 3.0, i don't think the one mentioned by z-4 has this, and the ram i suggested is $5 more but has heat spreaders and i think it has a higher latnecy
  4. oh and GPU wise if you can find a 4830 get it, it performs about the same as a 5670 but is cheaper, con of this card is no DX11, so it won't play the newest DX11 games such as battlefield 3. unless your planing to O/C stock cooler should be enough IMO
  5. sorry about posting so much but just realized you don't need a HDD, spend that money ($65) on a GPU, GT 440 if you can afford it @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187138 or otherwise the cheapest GT430 you can find. i'm sure AMD radeon make some good cards as well but for me, Physics and all the other cool stuff wins me over to Nvidia. also note that that card is the 1gb model, the 512mb model should be enough for your res. but since they are the same price i went with the 1gb model. please note that the 512mb is DDR5 not DDR3 (1gb)
  6. I see no point in getting a graphics card at all at that resolution. The standard resolution today is 1920x1080.

    The first thing you should buy is a new monitor, then think about a new computer. There's no more satisfying upgrade than a big fat monitor. Even a basic 22" would be a huge experience if your upgrading from a 17 or even 19".
  7. mlcaouette said:
    I like this case just as an alternate option plus i think it is $80+ on the egg:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coolermaster-Storm-Scout-Ultimate-Gaming/12017715

    I didn't even know newegg still sold the phenom II x3 but that's cheaper than an athlon II x3 so it is a great deal.

    If you can set up a new newegg account for a family member or something you can save ten bucks with promo code newcustomer10.

    I'd switch to one of these power supplies or invest a little more money into the PSU:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817815007
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

    Amazon relisted the hyper 212+ for $29.xx you have to go under other sellers and pick amazon though. I think it is a little better than the H50 considering it can be mounted crossflow or updraft and comes with a PWM fan where the H50 does not.

    Thanks for your input. That's a nice case, definitely an alternate.

    Thanks for the family member new account tip. Can use that for sure.

    I was worried about the PSU a little but do like the continuous power. This Rosewill seemed to get positive reviews and it was 80 plus, but it's not good? I had thought about the Corsair model and just noticed the rebate. Also looking into Antec.
  8. z_4 said:
    I'd like to suggest and alternate Sandy Bridge based build. Hope you can afford it :

    CPU & Motherboard : $175- i3-2100 & Biostar H61MH (Capable processor)
    review of i3-2100

    RAM : $34- Kingston Value RAM(2X 2GB) 1333Mhz

    Power Supply : $45- RoseWill Green Series 430 (Same)

    Case: $30- Xigmatek Asguard

    Optical Drive: $20- Asus

    Graphic Card: $70 -Sapphire Radeon 5670 (Cheap and should run any game properly at that resolution)

    Total(excluding rebate): 369 USD

    Rebates: 20 USD

    I had to make accommodation for a graphic card, by switching the case.
    If you have problems affording this build, then :
    $60- Sapphire 5570
    $60- EVGA gt430

    That should save $10

    Wow, impressive that you got a Sandy Bridge build in this budget. It wasn't a consideration due to what I thought was to costly. You can't overclock the i3-2100 correct? That was something I was hoping to do.

    How would that case hold up over a five year (or more) period? I expect to do a couple of major upgrades.

    Thanks for the tip on the graphic card too. I was so focused on numbers like 5570 and 6850 it got a bit overwhelming, lol.
  9. Yeah the Rosewell may be ok, if it were me I would want to find a good solid review for it first though. The Antec was another that I thought about posting up but didn't, it sure is difficult to find any high quality low price PSU's :(
  10. I disagree with all the current recommendations. Like Geek said, you don't need a dedicated card at that resolution. Wait for Llano to release and get that. You'll save some money, get lower power consumption and have a solid APU vs the 2100's HD2000.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-a8-3850-llano,2975-19.html
    @ Only $135 when released, it'll be a great entry level chip for people who don't play intensive games but would like to play games.

    I Have a $300 build in the siggy if you'd like to check it out. It should do you justice @ a low price.
  11. wenqi said:
    Pentium Sandy Bridge? it will have better upgrade options than the AM3 chipset, unless you can get your hands on Am3+, and if your wanted, i'm sure there is a cheaper case around. anyway nuff said here's my build (no GPU)

    CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.6Ghz @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116399

    Mobo: Asrock H61M/U3S3 @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157236&Tpk=Asrock%20H61M%2fU3S3

    Ram: Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 4GB @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146740&cm_re=Mushkin_Enhanced_Silverline_4GB-_-20-146-740-_-Product

    Case: cheapy @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811322020

    PSU: Corsair CX-430 @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026&Tpk=corsair%20CX%20430

    HDD: Samsung spinpoint F3 tb @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185&cm_re=samsung_spinpoint-_-22-152-185-_-Product

    Disk: anything $20 @ www.somewhere.com

    Total: about $360

    Side note: you can get better CPUs if you want to spend the extra cash, (i3-2100)
    the Pentium is slower on clock speed, but clock speed isn't everything, the case i recommended is lacking features but its cheaaappppp. IMO i think a Tt Dokker would be nice if you could afford it (and you don't care about its looks)

    the reason why i chose this mobo is because it has USB 3.0, i don't think the one mentioned by z-4 has this, and the ram i suggested is $5 more but has heat spreaders and i think it has a higher latnecy

    Great advice, thank you. I like this mobo better too. It doesn't matter too much on the cpu, well it needs to handle a great amount of multitasking, because it will be upgraded by the end of next year. The mobo I chose has an AM3+ socket so it has somewhat of an upgrade path.

    I know I could save some cash by switching to an cheaper case but I'm being kind of vain about it. I really like the looks of the Zalman. I don't know if I'd have the money to upgrade a case.

    The HDD is bought through an Amazon GC so I'm not including it in this build's cost. If I go Intel though, I'd need a graphic card.
  12. Seriously, I honestly think FM1 fits you better. That'll leave you room for Trinity. Least if it stays on FM1.
  13. wenqi said:
    oh and GPU wise if you can find a 4830 get it, it performs about the same as a 5670 but is cheaper, con of this card is no DX11, so it won't play the newest DX11 games such as battlefield 3. unless your planing to O/C stock cooler should be enough IMO

    Under consideration, thanks.
    wenqi said:
    sorry about posting so much but just realized you don't need a HDD, spend that money ($65) on a GPU, GT 440 if you can afford it @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187138 or otherwise the cheapest GT430 you can find. i'm sure AMD radeon make some good cards as well but for me, Physics and all the other cool stuff wins me over to Nvidia. also note that that card is the 1gb model, the 512mb model should be enough for your res. but since they are the same price i went with the 1gb model. please note that the 512mb is DDR5 not DDR3 (1gb)

    Just made a reply about the hard drive, lol. Can you tell I'm not reading through? ;)
    Anonymous said:
    I see no point in getting a graphics card at all at that resolution. The standard resolution today is 1920x1080.

    The first thing you should buy is a new monitor, then think about a new computer. There's no more satisfying upgrade than a big fat monitor. Even a basic 22" would be a huge experience if your upgrading from a 17 or even 19".


    I'd definitely like a new monitor. The computer I'm using now has a Celeron 1.2 Mhz (Coppermines)CPU with AGP IGP. I think the order is (1) new computer, (2) monitor. Thanks for your suggestion though.
  14. aznshinobi said:
    I disagree with all the current recommendations. Like Geek said, you don't need a dedicated card at that resolution. Wait for Llano to release and get that. You'll save some money, get lower power consumption and have a solid APU vs the 2100's HD2000.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-a8-3850-llano,2975-19.html
    @ Only $135 when released, it'll be a great entry level chip for people who don't play intensive games but would like to play games.

    I Have a $300 build in the siggy if you'd like to check it out. It should do you justice @ a low price.


    aznshinobi said:
    Seriously, I honestly think FM1 fits you better. That'll leave you room for Trinity. Least if it stays on FM1.

    Hey! I've read a lot of your comments and really respect your advice. I'm looking at your builds right after composing this. Thanks so much for responding.

    I have thought about the Llano, read the reviews, and have seen a couple of video demos. It does look impressive. I was glad to see Tom's do a Portal 2 test since my family plays that one a lot on a neighbor's computer. The question I have about it is serious multi-tasking. Like downloading onto i-tunes, having 4 or 5 tabs, website software and graphics software at the same time. lol (really found one of my kids doing that on the neighbor's computer.) Now that I think about it, that's not so bad except for i-tunes- it sucks.

    Unfortunately, Trinity will be on an FX1 socket. However I did think about the resale value of a Llano as that market is pretty wide. If it could be sold for next to market value then upgrading to a Trinity might be possible. And really AMD's direction is exciting. However, even though it is priced well, I'm not sure if I can afford it. The apu and decent mobo cost the better part of $350.
  15. If doing several things at once, i would recommend sticking with the AMD for the price range you listed. If you read some of the articles on here, the AMD quad cores would better suite your need than going with any of the SB dual cores.

    But if gaming is the first priority and want the best out of gaming, then going with the i3 2100 would be your best bet.
  16. Well the mobo+A8-3850 would be around $235 Leaving you with about $125.

    DDR3 1600 4GB ($41)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226176&cm_re=ddr3_1600_4gb-_-20-226-176-_-Product
    Corsair CX430 ($25 AR, $45 before)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026&cm_re=430w-_-17-139-026-_-Product
    Seagate 500GB ($40)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148701&cm_re=seagate_500gb-_-22-148-701-_-Product
    Xigmatek Asgard II ($30 + Free shipping)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811815004

    Total: $395 ($375 AR)

    I'm pretty sure that Llano has the ability to handle multi-tasking better than an i3 2100 mainly because of the more cores. I honestly think though Llano is a better route and could be cheaper. Since Newegg usually has mobo+CPU combos.
  17. aznshinobi said:
    Well the mobo+A8-3850 would be around $235 Leaving you with about $125.

    DDR3 1600 4GB ($41)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226176&cm_re=ddr3_1600_4gb-_-20-226-176-_-Product
    Corsair CX430 ($25 AR, $45 before)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026&cm_re=430w-_-17-139-026-_-Product
    Seagate 500GB ($40)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148701&cm_re=seagate_500gb-_-22-148-701-_-Product
    Xigmatek Asgard II ($30 + Free shipping)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811815004

    Total: $395 ($375 AR)

    I'm pretty sure that Llano has the ability to handle multi-tasking better than an i3 2100 mainly because of the more cores. I honestly think though Llano is a better route and could be cheaper. Since Newegg usually has mobo+CPU combos.

    I just did a rough configuration and the Llano would be around $380 before any rebates- $370 with the $10 new customer instant rebate. I chose the Gigabyte A75-UD2H mobo @110. Good features for the price. Geez, I'd really like to afford a brand spankin' new technology.
    Anonymous said:


    Thanks, I just re-read it.
  18. I seen this combo that's really cheap.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.678290
    AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor ADX245OCK23GM - OEM AMD Gift Battleforge Game Coupon
    bundled with:1x Thermaltake CL-P0503 70mm Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler ...
    $49.98

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157204
    ASRock N68C-S UCC AM3/AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
    $44.99

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131434
    PowerColor AX6770 1GBD5-H Radeon HD 6770 1GB Free Sid Meier's Pirates w/ purchase $119.99 ($99.99 after mail-in rebate)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811154094
    APEX TX-381-C Black Steel Micro ATX Tower Computer Case
    Now: $34.99 Free Shipping

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026
    $44.99 $24.99 after mail-in rebate card CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204
    $19.99 Free Shipping ASUS 24X DVD Burner

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145339
    $42.99 Free Shipping $32.99 after mail-in rebate card CORSAIR XMS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

    Grand Total:* $357.92 (not including mail in and pray rebates)

    If you want a am3+ board instead... (the asusrock was changed out for the gigabyte)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128504
    GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2P AM3+ AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
    $64.99 ($54.99 after mail-in rebate card)

    Subtotal: $377.92 (not including mail in and pray rebates)

    -You basically get a die-shrunk "dragon platform" system. Amd's old 6000+/4870 combo. It's a proven cpu/gpu matched system that works well. Yesterday's top gaming rig is now dirt cheap and runs cooler on less than half the watts.
    It's on 45nm instead of 55 and 90 nm. It makes a cpu/gpu balanced system.
  19. Here's a little build that I was looking at (utilizing your case/psu reference):

    - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz ($120)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808

    - BIOSTAR A880G+ AM3 AMD 880G ($55)
    newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138283

    - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) ($70)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311

    - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s ($45)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136769

    - ASUS 24X DVD Burner ($20)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

    - Rosewill Green Series RG430-S12 430W Continuous ($45)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182202

    - ZALMAN Z9 Plus Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ($70)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811235027

    Total comes out to $425 shipped, but no rebates/discounts/promos were included. For an even lower price (to be closer to your budget), you can switch for the X4 945 ($110), or X3 720 ($70; w/ 4th core unlocking potential), and/or drop down to 4GB ram (1333/1600 which ever is cheaper), and you can throw in a cheap, efficient $20-30 HSF.

    With the on-board video, you'll be able to play your games and do the other activities as needed, until you're able to spend some more money on a decent video card.
  20. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150551
    $169.99 ($139.99 after mail-in rebate) XFX HD-685X-ZNFR Radeon HD 6850 1GB
    Click below for free DIRT3 game

    Grand Total:* $407.92 ($347.92 if your rebates ever come in)(with cheaper asusrock board same parts as above but the 6850 instead of the 6770)

    Mostly dirt3 is cooler than sid meyer's pirates and the 6850 is a little bit faster.


    well good luck.
  21. NotANerd said:
    I just did a rough configuration and the Llano would be around $380 before any rebates- $370 with the $10 new customer instant rebate. I chose the Gigabyte A75-UD2H mobo @110. Good features for the price. Geez, I'd really like to afford a brand spankin' new technology.


    Yeah tbh, waiting for Llano is a good bet. The 6550 is a solid APU that's for sure, it also consumes quite a bit less than a CPU+GPU. (2100+Card) The fact that you can, in the future, Crossfire the APU with a dedicated card (can be a cheap one) is pretty sweet. Currently it's rough around the edges so it's not very efficient, but in the future I'm sure the drivers would fix that issue and hybrid CF w/ the 6550D would be pretty solid.
  22. The 6550 is only 400 shaders. to get dual graphics they added the Llano and a 6550 card for a total of 800 shaders.

    The regor/6770 combo kicks the Llano. And the 6770 works on all dx versions not just directx11. Llano 800 shader dual graphics wont work on winxp, and wont work on most games out today.

    Llano is awesome for a laptop however. It was mostly made to be a laptop Apu.
  23. I agree about the Llano being a good option for you
  24. Thank you everyone for your advice!

    I had a lot to consider and I think I'm going the Llano route. It will be slightly upgrade-able (2nd Gen), cheaper graphics card, on-board graphics will play everything my family currently plays and it seems well balanced. I also think it will sell well with little discount when the time comes to step up to Trinity.
    I had to make some concessions with the case and mobo but I'll live. There is always the next build to get fancy right? ;)

    I also have to come up with another $25. If for some reason that is not possible then I'll just substitute the A6-3650.

    Here is the configuration:

    AMD A8-3850 Llano 2.9GHz 4MB L2 Cache Socket FM1 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU AD3850WNGXBOX
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103942

    GIGABYTE GA-A75M-D2H FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128517

    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM*
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231278

    Antec Basiq BP430 430W Continuous Power ATX12V Version 2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371023

    ASUS 24X DVD Burner
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

    Xigmatek ASGARD II B/B CPC-T45UC-U01 Black / Black 0.8 mm SECC / Aluminum and Aluminum Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811815004

    Total: $374.90 without Newegg new customer discount.

    * note about Llano compatible ram- There is not a lot that is compatible. Most of it is expensive. The only QVL available was for Asus so I hope this G.Skill ram will work for the Gigabyte board. If anyone has a link to Gigabytes QVL for the A75, FM1 Socket boards please post it. Thanks.
  25. If you need to save a little more on the case take this one into consideration:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/NZXT-Gamma-Classic-Series-ATX-Mid-Tower-Steel-Chassis-Black/15140332

    I think it is made of thinner material but it does come with front e-sata and slightly better cable management features
  26. Looks good NotANerd. The Gamma is actually cheaper so you may want to go that way. Good luck with the Llano build!
  27. Sorry to keep posting here but I just wanted to add one more thing. You should post up pictures here, when you finish your build. It is tom's member system gallery and since Llano just came out for desktops there are not any Llano builds posted up yet.
  28. mlcaouette said:
    If you need to save a little more on the case take this one into consideration:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/NZXT-Gamma-Classic-Series-ATX-Mid-Tower-Steel-Chassis-Black/15140332

    I think it is made of thinner material but it does come with front e-sata and slightly better cable management features


    aznshinobi said:
    Looks good NotANerd. The Gamma is actually cheaper so you may want to go that way. Good luck with the Llano build!

    Thanks for the suggestion! The case I had chosen is not available anymore so the Gamma will do. Probably better with CPU cutout and better cable management and e-sata.
    mlcaouette said:
    Sorry to keep posting here but I just wanted to add one more thing. You should post up pictures here, when you finish your build. It is tom's member system gallery and since Llano just came out for desktops there are not any Llano builds posted up yet.

    Great idea! I imagine not too many people here will go the Llano route as they see it inferior for some reason. Go fig. It should be completed in a week, maybe two depending on delivery.

    Thank you both for your support!
  29. No problem! Good luck!
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product