Ra1der

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
Hello everyone,
I have this old school cpu that needs an update. Q6700 core2quad 2.66ghz, but I have no idea what would fit on the motherboard's 775 socket. (nforce 790i Ultra) Any way i could put some i7's on it?

LGA775 is a dead socket. There are no new CPUs being produced for it. No i7s are compatible with LGA775, i7 is available on LGA1156, 1155, 1366, and the upcoming LGA2011. If you want to upgrade your CPU, you're going to be restricted to Core 2 Quads. We'd need to know the make and model of your motherboard to determine if it would be compatible with any Core 2 Quad better than what you have now.

Most of the Core 2 Quads that are better than the Q6700, are also ridiculously expensive due to limited supply, and high demand from people hoping to extend the life of their old system. The Q9550, which is the best CPU available on LGA775 is particularly expensive, going somewhere close to $300 in some cases. If you really feel you need an upgrade, it may be more cost effective to get a new motherboard/CPU/RAM combo. You'd get a larger performance boost, more than even the best Core 2 Quad can offer, and it would probably cost you a similar amount of money.

The 45 nm quads (Q8200 and Q9000 CPU's) are compatible with the nForce 700 chipsets. Clock for clock, they are about 10% more efficient. In my mind, that's not worth upgrading for.

If you need to stretch the operational lifetime of your system, have you considered overclocking?

I agree. My Q6600 is at, and has been since I got it, 3GHz and it still does fine. I admit a new CPU would be nice but I would rather wait and upgrade to a entire mew platform.

Overclock your Q6700.

It should easily OC to 3.0GHz. It might need some voltage to go above that or some tweaking (don't leave RAM speed on manual, btw). A lot of people can get them up around 3.6GHz. You'll need a cooler if you're gonna do that. Something like the Xigmatek Gaia or Hyper 212+ is pretty cheap and will fit modern sockets should you upgrade in a year or so.

Alternatively, you can sell your whole platform and buy a new mobo, CPU, & RAM. If you have a Micro Center nearby, that'll only run you $300 for some amazing stuff.

TRENDING THREADS