Sign in with
Your question

Help with a new Router

Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 22, 2010 1:02:47 PM

Yes, I currently have a Netgear G Router. My signal is perfect and flawless in the room the router is setup in. About 20 feet away in the office the computer in there gets a great connection going through about 2 or 3 walls. I just bought a new Sony BDP 570 blu-ray player and primarily because it has built in wireless so I can stream my Netflix.

The Player sits about 50 feet away from the Router, and the connection is pretty slow. I am looking to improve the speed and was wondering if anyone can recommend a good N-Router. I have heard that the range and speed is improved (of course speed is dependent upon a compatible n adapter in a device)

More about : router

Related resources
December 22, 2010 1:11:10 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

THIS IS WHAT I USE TO STREAM MY HD VIDEOS!

it works well and has great range!

I second this recommendation, although mine had overheating issues.

I currently have a Linksys/Cisco e3000 and it works like a charm for HD streaming. I'm using my Xbox to stream HD Netflix in 1080p 40 ft away through two exterior brick walls with no problems.
m
l
December 22, 2010 1:18:23 PM

That is funny I was actually looking at the D-Link one and you can get it for $70 at bestbuy. The e3000 is nice looking very sleek but a little more expensive than I wanted to spend.

I currently use a netgear, are there any good netgear ones? Also, on the d-link one do you have any drops? I currently use Time Warner so just want to know how the drops are if any.
m
l
December 22, 2010 1:31:22 PM

jbmerlin9920 said:
That is funny I was actually looking at the D-Link one and you can get it for $70 at bestbuy. The e3000 is nice looking very sleek but a little more expensive than I wanted to spend.

I currently use a netgear, are there any good netgear ones? Also, on the d-link one do you have any drops? I currently use Time Warner so just want to know how the drops are if any.

In my experience Netgear has been nothing but garbage. Poor interface, overheating issues, limited features. Go with the D-Link. :D 
m
l
December 22, 2010 4:26:13 PM

Thank you all for the suggestions :)  I did end up going with the D-Link as it was on sell at OfficeDepot for $69.99 which is a pretty good deal.

I will post later when I install and set it up to let the forum know how it is.
m
l
December 22, 2010 7:28:11 PM

cool looking forward to hearing some positive feedback!
m
l
!