Need some help with GPU

noname_Joe

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
My new GTS250 come this morning and i noticed when i tried to install it that it needed a power supply, but i dont have any 6 pins or 8 pins, so would i be able to buy a cable that linked to a molex 4 pin to a 6 pin, and then a 6 pin to a 8pin?

cheers

noname_Joe

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011

It's a sl-8460btx.. i know i need a new one but this is a pre built machine and i dont think i would be able to change the power supply so now its buy a new psu or a new card and have the gtx250 sit there xD

noname_Joe

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011

Yeah, the person i brought it off on ebay said it wouldn't power it but from what i can see from him he does not know the differences from a sempron 140 and a dual core CPU

I dont know if this will work but its worth a shot so i got 6 pin PCI express to dual 4 pin molex in hope that i can plug that into the molex coming out of the PSU and plug the 6pin into the other cable and into the GPU.

Hope this works

Even with a dual core it should be fine really. That Sempron is going to limit the GTS 250 a good bit FYI. If you don't know those Sempron chips actually are dual core processors with one of the cores locked. If your motherboard has the right chipset you can attempt to unlock the second core and odds are very good that it will work. What motherboard is in your system?