Sign in with
Your question

Psu suggestion.

Last response: in Components
September 28, 2011 5:01:34 AM

Sup guys, I'm new here been looking around on the forums for awhile and finally decided to join :D .

If I posted this on the wrong section I'm sorry :x

Anyways here's my question!

I'm looking around for a new psu and needed help choosing one that would support 560 ti's in SLI. I'm not good at all at picking psu's...(was going to get a 850w but thought I'd be wasting too much money and should probably ask for help first :sweat: )

I also needed a psu that could handle OC too.

I think it would be more help if I put what stuff i plan on powering with the psu huh :whistle: 

cpu - Amd athlon ii x4 640 @ stock (plan to upgrade to x6 1100T and OC to 4.0Ghz)
mobo - MSI NF750-G55
ram - 4gb G.Skill (plan to upgrade to 8gb)
HDD - 500gb WD 7200rpm o_O (plan to upgrade to 1tb HDD)
gpu - msi or evga? 560 gtx ti SLI @ 1ghz o_O
and some uv cold cathode lights o.o
Also I play on a res of 1440x900 I don't think I'm going to upgrade to 1080p anytime soon..

So how high of a psu do u guys think would be safe enough to power all that?

More about : psu suggestion

a b ) Power supply
September 28, 2011 5:08:40 AM

A good quality 650w to 750w unit will do the job just fine.

I always recommend Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, and XFX units because they are high quality and ~~~~~~~ oh so you've been looking around for a while? Enough of that daily rhetoric! I'll just get straight to the point.

Seasonic X650 $110 today.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I don't care if a XFX 750 or tx750v2 or antec tp750 is at the same price. It's a seasonic x unit that is rated to pull over 850+ watts without breaking a sweat and still staying in spec and 80+ at jonnyguru's tests. Phenomenal quality and I would just forget about any other PSU within that price bracket and buy this beast.
m
l
September 28, 2011 5:18:14 AM

Wow that was a really fast reply!

thank you so much for the help, was going crazy looking at a bunch of different psu's and couldn't decide which to get.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
September 28, 2011 5:29:53 AM

You can accurately determine your PSU power requirements by following the info. below. No guessing required.

As far as PSUs are concerned, be informed. Before you buy any PSU read accurate, objective PSU reviews at reputable sites such as www.jonnyguru.com or www.hardwaresecrets.com on the EXACT model PSU that you are interested in as some brands have good and poor quality PSUs.

You can also get an accurate rating of how much PSU power is required for your current or future system at the PSU calculator link below. Once you know the total PSU watts required then you need to confirm that the 12v rail has enough amps. to support your Vid card(s) and the rest of the PC system.

There are several websites that show the Vid card power consumption in watts. Divide the watts by 12 to determine the amps. required on the 12v rail(s). Add 15 amps for the rest of the PC on the 12v rail and you now know the Minimum total 12v rail amps required under full load. It's best to have at least 5-10 amps. reserve on the 12v rail available under full load so the PSU is not loaded to 100%.

It's also worth noting that people often misunderstand the 80% power rating. This is a rating of the PSU's energy efficiency not it's output. 80% plus PSUs use less grid power to produce the same PC power. If it's 80% Bronze, Silver or Gold the cost savings on electricity is pretty small between Bronze, Silver and Gold unless you are paying very high rates for electricity so any 80% rated quality PSU is fine even if not Gold. For those who leave their PC on 24/7 a quality 80% PSU is a good investment.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-560-ti-sli-re...

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_5...

IT'S ALWAYS BETTER TO TEACH A PERSON HOW TO FISH THAN TO GIVE THEM A FISH FOR DINNER!

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. INVEST SOME EFFORT IN LEARNING SO THAT YOU CAN NOT ONLY HELP YOURSELF BUT OTHER FOLKS TOO.
m
l
September 28, 2011 5:34:30 AM

wow very detailed stuff in there o__o

Thanks a lot, this well help me a lot!
m
l
September 28, 2011 5:53:26 AM

Some extra info:
You won't really have a use for more than one GTX 560Ti at 1440x900. You might in a year or so, but no need to purchase both right now. Secondly, the 1100T isn't too strong in gaming.

Also, you should do is find out if Bulldozer's compatible with your current board. Bulldozer hasn't been released yet, so you'll have to wait. But don't buy a CPU upgrade until then.

The Athlon II x4 should be able to overclock a bit. If you can get that to 3.6GHz or so, it should help quite a bit. If you'd like some advice on that, feel free to start a thread and post the link here.

The simplest thing with the PSU is...go for a 650W Antec, Seasonic, Corsair or XFX. Any of those will do.

XFX had a nice 650W for $49.99 after rebate [on Newegg] a couple weeks back. If you're in a hurry to purchase, you can get the Antec High Current Gamer Series 650W for $59.99 AR [Newegg] right now. Or you can wait and see if awesome deals come up.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 28, 2011 6:19:49 AM

junkerz said:
wow very detailed stuff in there o__o

Thanks a lot, this well help me a lot!

Glad to help. The more you learn the better able you are to help yourself and other people ! :D 
m
l
September 30, 2011 4:25:32 AM

Thank you guys so much, especially beenthere and dalauder.

I ended up going with the Seasonic x650 :)  Should be here tomorrow :D .
m
l
September 30, 2011 5:38:36 PM

junkerz said:
Sup guys, I'm new here been looking around on the forums for awhile and finally decided to join :D .

If I posted this on the wrong section I'm sorry :x

Anyways here's my question!

I'm looking around for a new psu and needed help choosing one that would support 560 ti's in SLI. I'm not good at all at picking psu's...(was going to get a 850w but thought I'd be wasting too much money and should probably ask for help first :sweat: )

I also needed a psu that could handle OC too.

I think it would be more help if I put what stuff i plan on powering with the psu huh :whistle: 

cpu - Amd athlon ii x4 640 @ stock (plan to upgrade to x6 1100T and OC to 4.0Ghz)
mobo - MSI NF750-G55
ram - 4gb G.Skill (plan to upgrade to 8gb)
HDD - 500gb WD 7200rpm o_O (plan to upgrade to 1tb HDD)
gpu - msi or evga? 560 gtx ti SLI @ 1ghz o_O
and some uv cold cathode lights o.o
Also I play on a res of 1440x900 I don't think I'm going to upgrade to 1080p anytime soon..

So how high of a psu do u guys think would be safe enough to power all that?

I would recommend these PSUs cause these are decent, Reliable PSUs

:sol:  :sol:  :sol: 
m
l
!